Author Topic: Paranet Papers- WereGator  (Read 1487 times)

Offline peregrinefalcon

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Paranet Papers- WereGator
« on: March 17, 2015, 02:26:43 PM »
So as I'm working my way through the Paranet Papers, I'm wondering about the weregator. In all the art he's a Gatorman, from the front cover to his character stat block. Does he have this ability? I thought all the were's in Dresden, change from human into animal. Of course it could just be artistic license.

Offline Aminar

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Paranet Papers- WereGator
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 04:32:02 PM »
So as I'm working my way through the Paranet Papers, I'm wondering about the weregator. In all the art he's a Gatorman, from the front cover to his character stat block. Does he have this ability? I thought all the were's in Dresden, change from human into animal. Of course it could just be artistic license.
I think it's player license.  Like you could run an anthro werewolf if you wanted.  That's just not how the ones we've seen operate.  It might take an inordinate amount of skill to hold the change at that place or something.  But Shagnasty melds different shapes.

Offline Lawgiver

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 06:46:30 PM »
I think it's player license.  Like you could run an anthro werewolf if you wanted.  That's just not how the ones we've seen operate.  It might take an inordinate amount of skill to hold the change at that place or something.  But Shagnasty melds different shapes.
Maybe the difference between taking Modular Abilities (which gets access to Creature Features[Claws], for example), vs. Shapeshifting[Beast Change] (or even True Shapeshifting) which require taking on the whole form? Take Clawsx3 and get Claws, Jaws and Tail and get the general Crock appearance (take it x4 for 'skin' too if needed) but maintain the bipedal mobility and opposable (thumbs) for dexterity. Would come across more like a classic "Lizard Man" that way, to me.

Yes, no?

/shrug
"Sufficiently advanced technology," my ass.

Offline Aminar

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 07:24:45 PM »
Maybe the difference between taking Modular Abilities (which gets access to Creature Features[Claws], for example), vs. Shapeshifting[Beast Change] (or even True Shapeshifting) which require taking on the whole form? Take Clawsx3 and get Claws, Jaws and Tail and get the general Crock appearance (take it x4 for 'skin' too if needed) but maintain the bipedal mobility and opposable (thumbs) for dexterity. Would come across more like a classic "Lizard Man" that way, to me.

Yes, no?

/shrug
Sure.  But it isn't necessary either.  Shape does next to nothing compared to powers.  And the powers would look the same either way.  But Modular abilities fits well with the full half no transition axis a lot of were's take in other stories.

Offline zakmo86

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2015, 02:27:28 PM »
In the first game I ran, we had a player whose character was a cursed werewolf. She could voluntarily take on the form of a large wolf. But when the curse forced her to change, she was a humanoid wolf with horns.

.... So.... I think it's up to you how the change happens. I like how someone suggested Modular Abilities. So, taking his advice, I'd just run it as Modular Abilities, Beast Change or True Shapeshifting.