Author Topic: Changeling Powers (especially veils) and iron  (Read 1646 times)

Offline WadeL

• Participant
    • View Profile
Changeling Powers (especially veils) and iron
« on: March 18, 2015, 05:28:31 PM »
Do we know from the books how sensitive Changeling powers are to cold iron? Obviously, it cuts through fae protections like a hot knife through butter. But can a Changeling with supernatural strength use their strength to lift an iron bar? Will wearing chainmail stop a changeling from using Incite Emotion on you?

What I'm most concerned about is - can you use Glamours on iron or someone carrying it? Can I use it to disguise my trust six-shooter? Can I use it on myself if I'm carrying said trust six-shooter? What about if I'm just carrying a small amount of steel like the button on my pants?

I know mechanically most of these are just covered by Compels, but I'm hoping you guys can remind me on the limitations of such so far as we know from the books? I've got a Changeling who makes heavy, heavy use of her Lesser Glamours, veiling the group pretty much all the time (and why not? it is a -2 refresh power, that says "use it all the time" to me!). And I'm wondering how heavily she should be limited by the whole cold iron thing.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
Re: Changeling Powers (especially veils) and iron
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 05:52:00 PM »
The iron must touch you, carrying it around is fine. Look at Toot and his knife, it's a steel blade with a plastic handle, and he's carrying it around all the time. The gun should be fine, since the handle is probably covered in something other than steel. The button in your pants could be a problem, if you don't wear anything between it and your belly. Look at people who are allergic to nickel and the reaction they have, it would probably be at least as bad here. Though it's not too complicated switching out a button.

I don't see a problem with disguising iron. It's not a lightning rod for magic, it's an allergen to the Fae. Of course it could be that any number of Fae have a fear of iron and won't even try. A changeling might have less of a problem with that.

Now there is the whole thing about how far to the surface the supernatural part of these halfbreeds is. If she uses glamours all the time, she might be well on her way to fairydom already, and every time she uses a glamour, the gun on her side feels a bit heavier. At some point, it must feel like carrying a block of uranium around with you.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 07:20:37 PM »
You could, as you said, deal with it via compels or you could attach a limitation to the fairy powers using the Limitation custom power.

Offline Chee

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 03:52:55 AM »
I don't think it affects a Changeling as much. Both Fix and Meryl were packing some during Summer Knight. Fix wearing some, even.

Offline Tempestaire

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 04:11:51 AM »
Sarissa also used a iron weapon in Cold Days.

Offline Lawgiver

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 04:26:34 PM »
Afaik as long as iron does not come in direct contact with their skin, fae aren't bothered by it... physically. Given their mind-set towards it, they certainly have 'issues' there that can be used against them, but without physical contact it's pretty much 'no harm no foul'. Look at what Harry's done to Lea. One time he dumped ghost dust on her and burned her. Another time he tossed aluminum nails out and she freaked thinking they were iron.

As mentioned, Toot and his crew handle iron all the time, just covered... duct/electrical tape, whatever. They used plastic handled box cutters to puree Aurora. No big..
"Sufficiently advanced technology," my ass.