Author Topic: Where I Read: The Paranet Papers  (Read 12429 times)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Where I Read: The Paranet Papers
« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2015, 12:06:32 AM »
I'm optimistic. I have a copy of Your Story that gradually fell apart, and it never felt as solid as this one.

And as far as I know, no other Evil Hat books ever had that problem.

Offline blackstaff67

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Where I Read: The Paranet Papers
« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2015, 05:15:25 AM »
Just got my hard copy of the book.  Being a self-professed Viking/Norse geek, I was somewhat underwhelmed by  the entries on Donar Vaderrung and the Einherjar.  Also somewhat let down by the lack of a real write-up on Gard's Rune magic--I was really hoping for a paragraph or three.
1) Perhaps the Einherjar are diminished due to Vaderrung's own diminishing; I really expected something tougher since these were the guys the gods wanted to have fight alongside them against the Jotuns. 
2) Perhaps they didn't bother reading Changes that deeply (or read the boards for hints) and didn't want to commit themselves to something that might've violated JB's canon.  Whatever.  A phone call would've solved that problem.

The rest of the book looks quite interesting and I'm otherwise satisfied with it.

Oh, and Sanctaphrax?  McCoy is definitely Sottish.  Name aside. JB gives his a burr when remonstrating The Merlin in PG, I think.  IIRC, a 'brogue' is Irish, a 'burr' is Scottish.  A long time living in North Ameriuca probably accounts for the transformation into an Ozark accent.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 12:35:19 PM by blackstaff67 »
My Purity score: 37.2.  Sad.