Author Topic: Fighting While Hidden  (Read 12055 times)

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
Re: Fighting While Hidden
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2015, 02:47:24 PM »
Double post: regarding speed powers.

What if, when you attack, you have to make a reflexive stealth roll based on a static difficulty (let's say the highest enemy's alertness).  If you fail, you become visible.

Or, if you're using a hiddenness factor, succeeding the stealth roll means your hiddenness doesn't drop.

- It makes stealth important, even when using magic or glamours and prevents high shift veils from getting over-powered
- It lets speed powers lower the difficulty based on the stealth trapping. 
     Inhuman speed would drop the difficulty be 2 shifts
     Superhuman by 4
     Mythic drops it to 0

Faster creatures stay hidden more easily.

Just a suggestion you may want to incorporate into whatever method you choose.

Regarding Ambushes:  you could just limit it to the stealth skill.  Allow veils to add an aspect "veiled" to the final ambush roll to boost the difficulty to spot it.

Once everyone is aware, you can no longer ambush.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 02:49:53 PM by Taran »

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2015, 04:32:31 PM »
I usually hate to add complication, but it may be necessary to differential the types of veils.  Per the novels veils (and all illusions really) can be either mental (ie. dont notice me) or physical (ie I dont reflect light for your eyes to pick up).  The first kind is far more binary, you are either Aware of the veiled person or not, and once you gain awareness things play out normally.  By contrast the more physical "brute force" veils block each sense individually, but just because you are aware does not mean you can circumvent. For example:   I can know that an invisible person is present in the room, and even maybe know exactly where they are via footprints or something, but they still have an advantage when it comes to punching me in the face because I cannot see the fist itself coming.  If, however, I am a very talented boxer, say, I might be more able to guess based on the shifts of weight, etc. in the footprints.  How many of the senses the veil covers will affect it too, and differently based on the sensory nature of the detector. 

What if comes down to is if Awareness alone will invalidate teh stealth entirely, or if it can add continuing benefits
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline potestas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2015, 01:55:22 AM »
Remember what the Malk could do. He basically attacked from a permanent veil. His victims would disappear into it.Lots of noise and some crunching and out came the remains. If a wizard can create one that strong and maintain it I doubt their would be much of a fight. I think sight makes a veil useless though. I dont think you should down play it its nasty business not being able to see your foes.

Offline potestas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2015, 02:07:24 AM »
I usually hate to add complication, but it may be necessary to differential the types of veils.  Per the novels veils (and all illusions really) can be either mental (ie. dont notice me) or physical (ie I dont reflect light for your eyes to pick up).  The first kind is far more binary, you are either Aware of the veiled person or not, and once you gain awareness things play out normally.  By contrast the more physical "brute force" veils block each sense individually, but just because you are aware does not mean you can circumvent. For example:   I can know that an invisible person is present in the room, and even maybe know exactly where they are via footprints or something, but they still have an advantage when it comes to punching me in the face because I cannot see the fist itself coming.  If, however, I am a very talented boxer, say, I might be more able to guess based on the shifts of weight, etc. in the footprints.  How many of the senses the veil covers will affect it too, and differently based on the sensory nature of the detector. 

What if comes down to is if Awareness alone will invalidate teh stealth entirely, or if it can add continuing benefits

what he said is important how the spell is worded or the intention of the caster makes all the difference in the game/books. Molly can do almost anything with her veil while Harry couldn't for the longest time. Niether of them seem to spend much time wording out what they want, they know it and it happens.

I know what players mean when they want to create one basically they are looking for cover that allows them not to be detected while the spell lasts. You might want them to spell it ut to you a few times but it wouldnt be fair if you look for loop holes in his defense or ambush if you understand what he means. A player is looking for just that advantage and since hes playing a skilled mage he would know how to conjure it to his benefit. Using game rules to undermine the players intention smacks of foul play.Magic is supposed to be powerful and anyone who wields it holds a huge advantage over those who dont.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2015, 03:21:47 AM »
Random question before I get to responding: does anyone apply the "2 extra shifts for transparency" thing to Glamours veils? And how many of you actually remember to do that with Evocation veils?

It's easier if you're getting a +1 to your weapons value when you'd normally get a +0 if they were visible.  And just because they're using their veil to dodge, doesn't mean they're harder to hit:  Maybe their dodge is better but they just rolled poorly.

Suppose someone's defence roll is a 3 and their veil strength is 4. I have Weapons 3 and Alertness 4. I attack, rolling a +0.

If they weren't veiled, I'd hit them with no extra shifts. Since they are...I also hit them with no extra shifts. This is the worst case scenario for the veil-haver, I think.

You adjudicate grapple differently than I do, so I guess it's not a good example.  I don't necessarily let successful attacks break a grapple.

Really? I think my interpretation is a pretty literal reading of the book. Not seeing much room for interpretation there.

You've misunderstood and have what I'm saying backwards.  In the analogy, the veiled people are the grapplers, not the grapplees.  So it's the people trying to find the veiled target who need the narrative justification, not the other way around.

Oh, I see.

Allowing a veil to stick around after someone attacks makes it more powerful but not moreso than a regular block.

Well, that depends somewhat on how you handle ambushes and hidden information and stuff. But my main problem with persistent veils is that lasting veils are not very hard to get. I don't want Glamours to give your entire team a Superb shield all the time.

And then of course there are thaumaturgical veils, which are even scarier. Though the GM has a lot of leeway there, and can shut down shenanigans.

Yeah, that's kind of the assumption I make but then glamours should work the same way.

Yeah, it should.

Here's a suggestion that might be simpler.

If you are veiled, no-one can shoot you except with zone-wide attacks because they don't know you are there and can't target you.

Once you attack, you can be targeted.  You can use the veil to dodge(take your dodge or veil, whichever is higher).  If you used the veil to defend, it goes away - whether the attack hits or not.  You've given away your position, but your hiddenness was enough to dodge(or almost dodge) that last attack.

It makes them marginally useful but not overpowered in a combat situation. Being veiled can save your skin...but only once.  They're mostly for out-of-combat situations. 

For attacking while veiled, instead of tracking a hiddeness factor, just give people free chances to spot you when you attack.

Options:
1. a)Once one person spots you, the veil is gone (easiest)
    b)Once one person spots you, the veil no longer applies to that person, but still applies to everyone else who failed to spot you.(bookkeeping)

2.  a) Every time you attack, everyone gets a chance to spot you for free
     b) If they fail to spot you at the beginning of the combat, they get no more free alertness checks.  They either have to spend an action or invoke an aspect to spot try to spot you for free.

I think it works well for the cloak of invisibility guy but maybe not the sniper.  You need to spot a sniper before you can target him at all, even when he's shooting...but that just may be a distance thing.  A good sniper is going to be at least 3 zones away, so you'd need another sniper to hit him(or a speed power)...but that's why snipers constantly change positions.

I wonder if number of zones should be a factor?  I remember playing Battlefeild and having a sniper picking people off.  You're hiding behind cover waiting for shots, trying to spot the muzzle-flash.  You can't just shoot him because you don't even know what zone he's in.
Double post: regarding speed powers.

What if, when you attack, you have to make a reflexive stealth roll based on a static difficulty (let's say the highest enemy's alertness).  If you fail, you become visible.

Or, if you're using a hiddenness factor, succeeding the stealth roll means your hiddenness doesn't drop.

- It makes stealth important, even when using magic or glamours and prevents high shift veils from getting over-powered
- It lets speed powers lower the difficulty based on the stealth trapping. 
     Inhuman speed would drop the difficulty be 2 shifts
     Superhuman by 4
     Mythic drops it to 0

Faster creatures stay hidden more easily.

Just a suggestion you may want to incorporate into whatever method you choose.

Regarding Ambushes:  you could just limit it to the stealth skill.  Allow veils to add an aspect "veiled" to the final ambush roll to boost the difficulty to spot it.

Once everyone is aware, you can no longer ambush.

I like these ideas.

I'd prefer to avoid rolling multiple times per turn, but it might be the most elegant solution here...

I usually hate to add complication, but it may be necessary to differential the types of veils.

I also hate to add complication. And I think treating all veils the same way, with a bit of Aspect stuff to smooth the edges, ought to work well enough.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2015, 04:07:38 AM »
Random question before I get to responding: does anyone apply the "2 extra shifts for transparency" thing to Glamours veils? And how many of you actually remember to do that with Evocation veils?
no 2 shifts for glamours.

I use the 2 shifts for regular veils, although, I've never seen those translucent veils actually hinder anyone.  What do you need to spot if you're invisible?  It almost never comes up.  If it came down to it, I'd have it apply as a block to attack someone in an ambush.

Suppose someone's defence roll is a 3 and their veil strength is 4. I have Weapons 3 and Alertness 4. I attack, rolling a +0.

If they weren't veiled, I'd hit them with no extra shifts. Since they are...I also hit them with no extra shifts. This is the worst case scenario for the veil-haver, I think.

Suppose the veil is 5 and the attack is 5 and their dodge is 6

Without the veil, the attacker misses.

With the veil, the attacker gets a +1 (due to high alertness) and hits the guy who dodged at 6.

You could say it only modifies IF the person chooses to use the veil to defend...but the person won't know which to use until he actually rolls a dodge and it's just easier for an attacker to know all the bonuses and penalties before they roll.

Really? I think my interpretation is a pretty literal reading of the book. Not seeing much room for interpretation there.

I think it's actually hard to break a grapple unless you devote an action to get free or actually attack the person grappling you in a way that makes narrative sense to escape.  I think most people adjudicate it as easy and let pretty much any action break the grapple.  (but I digress)

Well, that depends somewhat on how you handle ambushes and hidden information and stuff. But my main problem with persistent veils is that lasting veils are not very hard to get. I don't want Glamours to give your entire team a Superb shield all the time.

Making ambushing strictly the domain of stealth will alleviate that problem.  To boot, I'm pretty sure the description mentions making preparations - but I could be misremembering

I also hate to add complication. And I think treating all veils the same way, with a bit of Aspect stuff to smooth the edges, ought to work well enough.

Going with simple.  Let's get back to basics

Veils are blocks on perception.  As soon as you have reason to believe that someone is invisible and start attacking them, you are no longer using perception.  The veil is now a block vs attacks with the veil being the narrative fluff for why you miss.

With that in mind, how are blocks vs attacks adjudicated in combat?

Spell blocks, need duration.  Any skill block, only lasts one exchange.

If someone is veiled and no-one notices them, it's the veil vs alertness/investigate.  These types of actions tend to last an entire scene.  Glamours are just 'up' and you roll your stealth as a reaction to alertness checks.

As soon as you do something to bring attention to yourself, the conflict(and the mechanics) have changed slightly.  People are attacking you and your veil is now blocking attacks.  Combat time is measured in exchanges and so are your spells.  Your glamour would require you to maintain it every exchange(with an action) if you wanted it to be a block on attacks.

In the conflict where this was an issue, the character, Martin, would have had to spend an action every round to maintain his glamour (and the block on attacks) while everyone else did their thing.  Pretty easy to adjudicate:  he's maintaining a block and everyone else is acting normally...but they're invisible and therefore harder to hit.  No real need for special rules.  Assuming you let glamours veil multiple people in a combat...which it may not.  Greater Glamours may be able to do this.  Spells definitely can, but it costs 2 extra shifts.  At the moment the conflict changes, give them one exchange of duration on whatever effect they have and let them persist if they like.

If you actually wanted to re-hide(disengage from combat), you might need to create a maneuver and tag for effect(or something).  So people would have to look for you again.  But you couldn't just attack without revealing yourself again.

It's not a concrete mechanic...just food for thought...but it solves the problem with persistent veils.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 04:34:41 AM by Taran »

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2015, 05:13:21 PM »
One of my players has a pixie with glamours, so this does come up often. What I usually do is treat the veil as a maneuver when used offensively -- i.e., if the pixie veils a cop, the cop can tag that maneuver to boost his attack (or tag for effect to get a mini-ambush effect).
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Theogony_IX

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2015, 05:43:05 PM »
Going with simple.  Let's get back to basics

Veils are blocks on perception.  As soon as you have reason to believe that someone is invisible and start attacking them, you are no longer using perception.  The veil is now a block vs attacks with the veil being the narrative fluff for why you miss.

With that in mind, how are blocks vs attacks adjudicated in combat?

Spell blocks, need duration.  Any skill block, only lasts one exchange.

If someone is veiled and no-one notices them, it's the veil vs alertness/investigate.  These types of actions tend to last an entire scene.  Glamours are just 'up' and you roll your stealth as a reaction to alertness checks.

As soon as you do something to bring attention to yourself, the conflict(and the mechanics) have changed slightly.  People are attacking you and your veil is now blocking attacks.  Combat time is measured in exchanges and so are your spells.  Your glamour would require you to maintain it every exchange(with an action) if you wanted it to be a block on attacks.

In the conflict where this was an issue, the character, Martin, would have had to spend an action every round to maintain his glamour (and the block on attacks) while everyone else did their thing.  Pretty easy to adjudicate:  he's maintaining a block and everyone else is acting normally...but they're invisible and therefore harder to hit.  No real need for special rules.  Assuming you let glamours veil multiple people in a combat...which it may not.  Greater Glamours may be able to do this.  Spells definitely can, but it costs 2 extra shifts.  At the moment the conflict changes, give them one exchange of duration on whatever effect they have and let them persist if they like.

If you actually wanted to re-hide(disengage from combat), you might need to create a maneuver and tag for effect(or something).  So people would have to look for you again.  But you couldn't just attack without revealing yourself again.

It's not a concrete mechanic...just food for thought...but it solves the problem with persistent veils.

^^^ This makes the most sense.  Treating a veil like any other block balances all of your in conflict concerns.

As far as modifying rolls against veils, if anything, I would only allow Investigation to compliment an attack roll.  Alertness is passive awareness and shouldn't allow you to aim better.  Investigation is active awareness and could.  Alertness would allow you to defend better against a veiled opponent, but that is already covered in the ambush rules.  I don't think I would do anything with Alertness on a defense roll against someone using an aspect related to veils in their attack since bonuses and penalties are already inherent in the aspect rules.  See below for veiled attacks.

You might allow the veil strength to replace the Stealth roll for an ambush, but once the ambush has gone off, the above suggestion would take precedence.  The veil becomes a block against attacks.

Non-ambush attacking from under a veil is probably best handled through aspects and maneuvers.  A maneuver would probably be opposed by either Alertness or Investigation.  The caster could get the +2/reroll on an attack or they might tag/invoke for effect to require an opponent to block with Alertness rather than Athletics.

Dealing with the transition from non-conflict/ambush to conflict if the veil persists can be handled with a choice given to the veil's caster.  The veil can remain as a block, or as an aspect.  Spellcasters would need to add duration in their next action if they wanted it to last.  Others wouldn't have that option and would need to use actions as normal to maintain the block, or the aspect would be sticky or not based on the original roll.

My $0.02

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2015, 02:41:40 AM »
Random question before I get to responding: does anyone apply the "2 extra shifts for transparency" thing to Glamours veils?

I don't. I figure that, and not costing mental stress, is what makes Glamours worth as much as Channeling.

I don't think that is practical. Glamours can "draw a veil over something (not particularly large—maybe the size of a
small, tight group of people)". IMO that means you can veil your PC group if you're all moving close together & coordinated, but not in a fight where people are moving around independently.

Even Greater Glamours only lets you veil one zone, which still makes you very vulnerable to zone attacks.

And then of course there are thaumaturgical veils, which are even scarier.

Not really. Thaum veils are "not usually mobile", so not practical for combat unless you are setting up and having the enemies come to you.

Veils are powerful, but pretty limited if you apply the limitations in the book.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2015, 05:11:27 AM »
A note for the thread in general: this isn't just about veils. These rules should also cover normal stealth.

I use the 2 shifts for regular veils, although, I've never seen those translucent veils actually hinder anyone.  What do you need to spot if you're invisible?  It almost never comes up.  If it came down to it, I'd have it apply as a block to attack someone in an ambush.

I think the GM would be within their rights to apply that block to a lot of things. Many actions require some kind of perception, after all.

But by the book, it's not clear what that block is meant to block.

You could say it only modifies IF the person chooses to use the veil to defend...

I totally did. Though my phrasing might not have been the best.

When you attack or maneuver against someone who's hidden, they can apply their hidden value as a block against your attack. If they do, your Alertness modifies whatever skill you used.

The concerns you raise are valid, anyway.

I think it's actually hard to break a grapple unless you devote an action to get free or actually attack the person grappling you in a way that makes narrative sense to escape.  I think most people adjudicate it as easy and let pretty much any action break the grapple.  (but I digress)

Given that the book says you can break a grapple with "an attack, a spell, even a threatening look" I think the easy adjudication is the 'RAW' one.

Making ambushing strictly the domain of stealth will alleviate that problem.

I do like that idea. But I don't think it solves the problem on its own. If every time you attack while veiled you get to roll Stealth for an ambush attempt, veils are the deadliest weapons around.

So do you think people should know where their hidden opponents are?

Also, how would that work with non-veil Stealth?

In the conflict where this was an issue, the character, Martin, would have had to spend an action every round to maintain his glamour (and the block on attacks) while everyone else did their thing.  Pretty easy to adjudicate:  he's maintaining a block and everyone else is acting normally...but they're invisible and therefore harder to hit.  No real need for special rules.

That would be really weird flavourwise. You're invisible...but when violence happens, your invisibility suddenly disappears or starts fluctuating in strength wildly as the veil-er rolls high or low.

Why should people shooting near you reduce the duration of your veil?

And how would this work with mundane stealth?

One of my players has a pixie with glamours, so this does come up often. What I usually do is treat the veil as a maneuver when used offensively -- i.e., if the pixie veils a cop, the cop can tag that maneuver to boost his attack (or tag for effect to get a mini-ambush effect).

So do you tell people where their hidden opponents are?

^^^ This makes the most sense.  Treating a veil like any other block balances all of your in conflict concerns.

It really doesn't.

As far as modifying rolls against veils, if anything, I would only allow Investigation to compliment an attack roll.  Alertness is passive awareness and shouldn't allow you to aim better.  Investigation is active awareness and could.

I think either could work, but I like Alertness better since it's the "combat awareness" skill. Investigation tends to be slower.

I don't think that is practical. Glamours can "draw a veil over something (not particularly large—maybe the size of a
small, tight group of people)". IMO that means you can veil your PC group if you're all moving close together & coordinated, but not in a fight where people are moving around independently.

You can just veil each person individually. Glamours has no limit to the number of illusions you can have at a time, and it doesn't take much time or energy to do.

So you can just keep everyone veiled at all times. And if you're expecting trouble, you probably should.

Not really. Thaum veils are "not usually mobile", so not practical for combat unless you are setting up and having the enemies come to you.

They're not usually mobile. Which means that sometimes, they are mobile.

Fortunately, the GM has a lot of room for interpretation there and can keep things in check.

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2015, 05:59:03 AM »
You can just veil each person individually.

Then why would that limitation be in both power descriptions? I don't think it's supposed to work that way.

They're not usually mobile. Which means that sometimes, they are mobile.

Fortunately, the GM has a lot of room for interpretation there and can keep things in check.

True. I read that as "they're not mobile unless there's some very good reason they should be". (IE, if you cast a thaum veil in a train car, then it will move with the train.)

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2015, 06:13:05 AM »
As for the original question: I don't really think you can be both hidden and actively involved in a fight. Once you attack or maneuver (well, except purely "self-targeted" maneuvers, IMO) you're revealed.

Moving is a penalty to Stealth (unless you have Speed powers). Veils are "magical Stealth rolls" so same for them, IMO.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2015, 12:27:25 PM »
As for the original question: I don't really think you can be both hidden and actively involved in a fight. Once you attack or maneuver (well, except purely "self-targeted" maneuvers, IMO) you're revealed.

Moving is a penalty to Stealth (unless you have Speed powers). Veils are "magical Stealth rolls" so same for them, IMO.
That is certainly true for some types of veils, but there are several examples of others out there, traditional invisibility being the first one off-hand.   
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2015, 01:42:04 PM »
A note for the thread in general: this isn't just about veils. These rules should also cover normal stealth.
I'll comment on that but I think stealth is less problematic, in general.  See below

EDIT: Also, I will start using the term "Cloaked" instead of Veiled.  I'll edit my post to include this...but I might miss some.

Given that the book says you can break a grapple with "an attack, a spell, even a threatening look" I think the easy adjudication is the 'RAW' one.

It also says

"Additionally, if the action is something that
could reasonably break the grapple"

So we both follow RAW.  I just take a stricter view as to what is "reasonable"

I do like that idea. But I don't think it solves the problem on its own. If every time you attack while veiled you get to roll Stealth for an ambush attempt, veils are the deadliest weapons around.
AMBUSH
With the Stealth skill, you can set up an ambush
by rolling to hide as per the Hiding trapping,
below. Given time to prepare, you might even
create aspects on the scene to set up the ambush.
When you decide to strike, the victim gets one
last Alertness roll to see if he notices something
at the last moment
. You have the option
of keeping your hiding roll or rerolling your
Stealth in response to this last Alertness roll.

I kind of take this whole thing as implying that it starts out a fight.  No-one knows there are opponents yet so their guard is down.  Once you know there is someone present, you can't really ambush.  Unless you allow tonnes of reactionary alertness rolls - which is what it says the victim is allowed to get.  And if they overcome the cloak, you get ANOTHER reactionary stealth roll to overcome their last Alertness.  It seems like a lot of rolling to do if that's going to happen every exchange when someone attacks from a veil.

Therefore, I'd leave it to the realm of starting a conflict - or leaving for someone entering an on-going conflict for the first time.  Ambushes are also knowing about when and where to execute the ideal attack and, just because you're hiding or veiled, doesn't mean you're in the perfect position to ambush.  Therefore, I'd have the ambusher (regardless of how they're cloaked) to roll stealth.  (although, it says 'roll the hiding trapping'...so that's up to interpretation)

So do you think people should know where their hidden opponents are?
I like the idea of people taking a shot in the dark and getting a lucky hit.  But, what I was trying to say before was,  if you're taking a lucky shot, it's because - for whatever reason - you know someone is hidden.  Mechanically, it's no longer a block on perception (because they're not trying to find you), it's a block on attacks (because they're trying to attack you).

If they want to FIND you, they should need to succeed on some kind of perception, I think.

Also, how would that work with non-veil Stealth?
Regarding Stealth:

Any skill, if it has narrative justification can block attacks.  A weapons block could block other weapons, but probably not missile weapons since you can't normally parry missile with melee.

Being cloaked or hidden in combat (and staying that way) depends on the justification.  In a lit, white room with no furniture, someone using stealth (even if they could hide in the first place) doesn't have the narrative justification to re-hide.

Someone with glamours can cast a glamour to disappear
Someone using a spell casts a veil.

If you're in a dark/shadowy forest, there's lots of justification for a character to use stealth as a blocking skill.  He can use shadows and darkness to the best advantage, or trees/foliage etc...

That would be really weird flavourwise. You're invisible...but when violence happens, your invisibility suddenly disappears or starts fluctuating in strength wildly as the veil-er rolls high or low.

Why should people shooting near you reduce the duration of your veil?
I don't think it is weird.  It's a hell of a lot harder to maintain someone's cloak if they've given themselves away.  Combat is chaotic and the people you're cloaking are doing lots of random actions that are bringing attention to themselves and you have to constantly re-adjust in reaction for what they're doing.  Your invisibility is going to be more tenuous.  In any case, it averages out to your skill.  I mean, you could argue against that...but invisibility doesn't exist, so we can't really say 'this is how it works', we can only say, 'this is how it should work'.

And it doesn't reduce the duration of a cloak - it's just changing the story of the cloak.  Out of combat, you don't keep time in exchanges - it just lasts until you run into something that has a chance to reveal your position.  It either helps you past that challenge or it doesn't.  Will it see you through the scene?  It's the same way that a social block could last 10 minutes while a combat block only lasts 6 seconds.  It's because the conflict is moving at a different speed.

Look at it this way:  If a veil lasts one scene.  In one scene, you might just be trying to get through a room.  Maybe it lasts 1 minute.  In another scene, you might be trying navigate underground tunnels - that could take you 15minutes.

Why does the veil only last 1 minute in one situation and 15 minutes in another?  It's because FATE doesn't really keep clear track of time.  It's the conflict that dictates the time.  Like the same reason why a social block might be 15 minutes while a combat block is only 6 seconds.

In combat, blocks only last one exchange, so why shouldn't a veil?

Anyways, I'm not married to this solution.  I'm just throwing out ideas

In an ideal situation - if you come up with a solid way of doing this, I'd like to see the following situation:

GM:  someone shoots at you
PLAYER:  I want to shoot back, where are they
GM:  Make an alertness
PLAYER:  I fail
GM:  you don't know where they are.
Player: (option 1) I spend the turn looking for them
           (option 2) I shoot blindly
GM: (option 2) What zone do you target?
Player: zone 3.
GM:  you miss.

- so did the player miss because the cloak was too strong or did he miss because he chose the wrong zone?  I think that this is important.  It also makes speed powers very useful.  An attacker with Mythic speed can melee, then move 3 zones for free.  The chances of knowing what zone they're in are very low.

So even if you go with 'the cloak becomes a block on attacks' method, I wouldn't necessarily give away an opponents position - because they're still cloaked.

Regarding Thaumaturgy:  I agree with Vultur.  Mobile veils are a rare exception.  It even says they are 'constrained by thresholds and other barriers that scatter magical energies'

This is a good point.  Unfortunately, it doesn't ever say what kinds of penalties movement causes:
Quote from: YS pg 143
Skulking
Skulking is the art of moving while trying to
remain unnoticed. It uses many of the same
rules as Hiding, above, but it adds in difficulty
factors based on how fast you are moving and
the terrain. A slow crawl isn’t much harder, but
running is tough. Bare concrete isn’t much of an
issue, but a scattering of dried leaves and twigs

If we could find that, we could increase the difficulty to include attacking.  Then speed powers could alleviate this.  Example:

(these numbers are rough...you'd want to come up with something better)
Cloak of invisibility: Power 5 veil

Sprinting: - 2 to stealth
Noisy Aspect or block on Stealth: (crunchy leaves) -2
Noisy actions:  running into a flank; shouting/talking etc... -4
Attacking: -6
***EDIT:  for every zone away from victim: +1  (up to the maximum shifts of the veil)

So, if you have a power 5 veil and you attack, you automatically get spotted (unless someone rolls a terrible alertness).  If you have mythic speed, you stay hidden.

You could tag aspects to boost that.  'soft carpets' would decrease the penalty by 2, for instance.

Thinking about it, I kind of like this.  No extra rolling and incurring penalties is already a part of the game (it just doesn't often get used often)

***Edited the penalties to include zones
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 02:04:47 PM by Taran »

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2015, 02:30:48 PM »
It's usually the players that are stealthed once the fight actually starts (usually by way of said pixie hopping on someone's shoulder and glamouring them up). I don't actually ambush them all that often -- but when I do, it's just for the first round, then nobody's bothering to hide.

That said, no, if someone doesn't make the Alertness roll to see through the veil, they don't get to know where their enemy is.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast