Author Topic: House of Chains Characters  (Read 1762 times)

Offline Averren

• Lurker
    • View Profile
House of Chains Characters
« on: September 21, 2015, 11:22:06 PM »
I just finished reading the Traveler's Gate series and I am now trying to stat out the houses. Anyone have any good ideas?

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: House of Chains Characters
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 01:26:59 AM »
Why don't you tell us a bit about the series and its houses? Because I for one haven't read it.

Also, welcome to the forum.

Offline Averren

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 02:40:55 AM »
Well, the gist of the story is about magic users called travelers. Travelers can open rifts into pocket dimensions. 11 dimensions are described in the books, but I am sure new ones could be developed. In these dimensions, the traveler can develop powers and meet spirits/avatars that they can use/summon into the "real" world. Each dimension has it's own unique limit to how often the traveler can call upon the powers of the dimension. If a traveler surpasses that limit, he transcends into an Incarnation of the dimension. Essentially a NPC.

In the house of chains, also referred to as Valinhall in the books, the limit is expressed by a tattoo of chains that appears on the character as he uses the powers of the house. As the chains progress, they eventually meet up and connect around the neck of the character. At that point, the character becomes an Incarnation and a NPC. The powers of the dimension focus on giving powers internal to the character, i.e. inhuman strength, speed, natural armor, rather than external powers like the other dimensions.

I can immediately see an application of the Hunger track for the limits on the house, but I am not as clear as to the summoning abilities in the game. I was hoping to hear from others who have read the books and are a little more familiar with the DFRPG mechanics.

The Traveler's Gate trilogy, btw, is written by Will Wight.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 03:06:56 AM by Averren »

Offline Averren

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 02:58:55 AM »
Ragnaros
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 03:01:34 AM by Averren »

Offline Averren

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2015, 03:05:12 AM »
Entross
  The Entross dimension is a barren desert with pocket oasis throughout it. The powers of the dimension revolve around poisonous plants/animals that populate the oasis, and lightning powers generated by freak lightning storms that occur in the barrens between them.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2015, 05:53:58 PM »
Each dimension has it's own unique limit to how often the traveler can call upon the powers of the dimension.

Is the limit life-long, or just in the short term?

I can immediately see an application of the Hunger track for the limits on the house, but I am not as clear as to the summoning abilities in the game. I was hoping to hear from others who have read the books and are a little more familiar with the DFRPG mechanics.

Summoning isn't very well-detailed in the core rules. There are some fanmade rules here, though.

As for Hunger, I'd be careful with it. Feeding Dependency can be problematic, mechanically speaking.