Author Topic: how would one....? (one changes spoiler)  (Read 1659 times)

Offline Goraxes

• Lurker
    • View Profile
how would one....? (one changes spoiler)
« on: January 25, 2015, 05:27:09 PM »
Hi guys, new to the forums.  First post haha. 

1st question: I have a player who basicaly just wants to toss people in the air and drop them for damage.  Much like Harry does in changes.  How would one stat that out as an evocation spell? In this case single target rather than a group.

2nd Question: Worldwalker states that with magic you can do the same thing.  How would you stat out that spell to open portals to the never never?

3rd: this might be more of an opinion thing.  Scions get power.  They are half breeds, but what about say the grandchild of a scion and a human.  Would they maybe have a twinge of power, maybe be in the know, some aspects of grandpa type thing?  Thinking like the Grandson of a scion of a Dragon and a Human.  Might have funky eyes, likes to collect Rare items, Can tell if they are rare or supernatural just by holding them (Dragons love there rare treasures), but has no real power?  Opinions would be great.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
Re: how would one....? (one changes spoiler)
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 06:25:16 PM »
First:  welcome to the boards

As for your questions:

1.  It would be modelled as an evocation attack spell:

Tornado:  a mini-tornado of wind picks a person up and tosses them in the air, then drops them on their head
Power 5 evocation attack (weapon:5)

You target the individual and they dodge as any normal evocation attack.  If they fail to dodge, they take damage.  You narrate it as above.  Throwing them into another zone might be a maneuver instead of an attack.

2. It's a thaumaturgical ritual with a base complexity of 6.  It's under 'worldwalking' in the thaum section of YS.  Some places might be weaker and most places, that aren't attuned to a place in the Nevernever might be higher.

A wizard has to focus on it every exchange to keep it open.  The difficulty is the value of the gate (usually 6).

- I might have some of the details wrong, but I think that's the jist...I'll look at my book when I get hom.

3.  I think there's words of Jim that says you can have the blood run through multiple generations and that certain events might 'trigger' the development of powers. (someone will correct me, if I've got it wrong)

I think that, as long as you have an interesting back-story, you can do whatever you want.

Hope that helps.

Offline Goraxes

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 06:54:19 PM »
The Scion would be an NPC, i just wanted to be able to explain it to the players mechanically if it came up ;)

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 06:57:25 PM »
Regarding World Walking:  Ys pg.283-284

(click to show/hide)

So, by this description, if the default is Superb +6 +5, you need a ritual with a minimum shifts of 6 5+ duration.

To guarantee that it stays open, you should add 4 or 5 shifts (making it a 10 or 11 shift ritual)+duration.

The default duration is 1 scene, I think.

Edit: It says "a few minutes" is the default.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 04:16:11 AM by Taran »

Offline Goraxes

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 07:16:14 PM »
wicked thanks, i will have to re-read that part

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 03:46:59 AM »
So, by this description, if the default is Superb +6, you need a ritual with a minimum shifts of 6 + duration.

Superb is +5, not +6, but otherwise yes.