Author Topic: An Attempt at a Healing Power  (Read 2158 times)

Offline Theogony_IX

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
An Attempt at a Healing Power
« on: February 16, 2015, 09:05:54 PM »
I've seen some discussion about healing powers and how difficult they can be to model.  Here is an attempt at one related to faith powers.

Edited version:

Savior's Calling [-2]
Description: The strength of your faith has called you to stand between the darkness and those it would attempt to harm enabling you to accept and heal the injuries that are meant for others.
Skills Effected: Conviction
Effects:
Aegis. Once per scene, if an ally would be forced to take a consequence, you may take that consequence instead.
Laying on of Hands. Once per scene, given the time to pray, you may roll using Conviction to take from another player any number of consequences with a combined value no greater than your roll.  You must immediately accept those consequences and fill any available boxes to soak up the total value in consequences.  If you do not have enough consequences available, then you are taken out. 
You may choose to divide the value of a consequence and only accept part of it.  If you do, the severity of the consequence is reduced for the person you are healing by one step for each 2 shifts you accept from that consequence (This does not change the slot that the consequence is in, only the time it takes to recover from it).
Faith's Reward. Once per scene, you may clear away a mild consequence accepted through this power as a supplemental action.  Out of combat you may recover from consequences accepted through this power as if they were one level lower in severity. You must still seek medical attention or its equivalent to start the recovery process.
Stacked Recovery. Any additional recovery powers that may apply to consequences accepted through this power may further reduce the time it takes to recover by one additional level of severity.  This means that for the purpose of recovering from consequences accepted through this power, the benefit gained through having Supernatural Recovery would be the same as the benefit gained through Inhuman Recovery and the same for any other recovery power.
All other recovery effects that would apply to a consequence taken with this power apply as they normally would.

(click to show/hide)

Thoughts, questions, critique?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 03:30:59 AM by Theogony_IX »

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
Re: An Attempt at a Healing Power
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 09:14:22 PM »
How would it stack with a recovery power?

Offline Theogony_IX

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 09:44:15 PM »
Hmm, I suppose something like this.

Stacked Recovery. Any additional recovery powers that may apply to consequences accepted through this power may further reduce the time it takes to recover by one additional level of severity.  In addition, you may clear away a second mild consequence accepted through this power as a supplemental action.  This means that for the purpose of recovering from consequences accepted through this power, the benefit gained through having Supernatural Recovery would be the same as the benefit gained through Inhuman Recovery and the same for any other recovery power.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 10:33:46 PM »
To price it out, you could take Lay on Hands, then add the appropriate recovery power -

Say supernatural recovery, with a Catch of "everything except consequences caused by 'Lay on Hands'."

BTW, there's a few faith healing powers on the custom power list.  Some I'm not fond of.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Offline Theogony_IX

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 10:45:34 PM »
To price it out, you could take Lay on Hands, then add the appropriate recovery power -

Say supernatural recovery, with a Catch of "everything except consequences caused by 'Lay on Hands'."

That's sort of what I did.

-4 for supernatural recovery
+2 applies to only a specific thing

I realized though, that since you can only accept a consequence through the power once per scene mid combat, then the ability to clear out more than one mild is somewhat useless because you'll never get more than one.  At least not mid combat anyway.  I didn't think that warranted a full point of refresh rebate, so I included less of the recovery power to make up the difference . . . and also to set it apart.  That way if the person wanted a recovery power, they wouldn't be purchasing the same things twice.  It ended up like this.

-3 stunted supernatural recovery
+2 applies to only a specific thing

BTW, there's a few faith healing powers on the custom power list.  Some I'm not fond of.

I'll take a look.  Thanks.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 02:52:22 AM »
Not bad, but I think it's worryingly strong. The Recovery effect means that even taking on a Severe consequence isn't a big deal. And with Great to Superb Conviction, you can probably absorb a Moderate or most of a Severe each scene (would a roll of 4 let you take 4 shifts from a Severe?). So your group sheds a significant consequence every scene.

Now that I think about it, the scene-based timing could be a problem too. "We need to have another two scenes before we attack the vampire lair so that I can heal you. Maybe this would be a good time to resolve the relationship issues between Eric and his boyfriend..."

PS: What's this about permanent damage left over after a consequence is healed? DFRPG doesn't really have anything like that, unless you're talking about cosmetic stuff.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2015, 03:48:57 AM »
I think Healing as an individual power doesn't work too well in DFRPG.

That doesn't mean it can't work, but it is a game changer and I feel like it is easier to address it differently than individual powers. One of the easiest ways to go, for example, would be to give everyone inhuman recovery for free, with the catch that one specific character has to be in the scene with them. Because that's more or less what it boils down to.

Alternately, you can just generally increase the rate at which consequences go away in your game, up to just removing them after a scene.

Because consequences aren't wounds so much as they are a pacing mechanism. If you want your group to be able to go fresh into any new conflict, that's fine, but as a power, I find that rather boring, especially for the reasons Sanctaphrax already mentioned.

Unless, of course, it's during a conflict. In that case, I would simply take Recovery as a base and make a 3 tiered power.

"inhuman": 2 per scene you may remove a mild consequence on an ally that has been inflicted in the same scene as a supplemental action.
"supernatural": 2 mild, 1 moderate
"mythic": 2 mild, 2 moderate

Well, something along those lines. I increased the removing bit since the recovery bit is left out. Still, I think that's pretty powerful and should work a bit easier. The increased healing rate bit can be solved entirely off screen and without powers, I think. It makes it less prone to feeling like you have to game the system, and you can simply go on with the cool stuff.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2015, 04:47:41 AM »
Thinking about it a bit more, healing powers would work much better within the system of the game if there was a more involved set of rules for consequence recovery. If the speed of your recovery depended on the quality of the medical care you received, it'd open up a clear place to put healing powers.

As is, you just need a bit of medicine to start the healing process. And that's not even necessary for people with Recovery.

Offline Theogony_IX

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2015, 05:21:16 AM »
If it's too powerful as written, the base effect could be reduced to Inhuman Recovery still including the stacked recovery trapping.

I actually didn't understand the effects of Total Recovery when I wrote it, so I just wrote it to mean that it doesn't apply. That's the permanent damage bit, which I actually did think was cosmetic. I only understood later that it means you start to recover immediately without medical intervention.

I've done some rewriting, take a look.

As far as healing powers not working well, that may be true. I'll probably still try this one out though.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2015, 01:55:23 PM »
Thinking about it a bit more, healing powers would work much better within the system of the game if there was a more involved set of rules for consequence recovery. If the speed of your recovery depended on the quality of the medical care you received, it'd open up a clear place to put healing powers.

As is, you just need a bit of medicine to start the healing process. And that's not even necessary for people with Recovery.

This is true.  I find stunts like Doctor to be kind of useless as well.  You could line up the Recovery Powers with types of consequences:

No Recovery Power - Can heal minor wounds with some rest
Inhuman Recover = Basic First Aid - requires a Scholarship roll of 'x' before you can start recovering moderate consequence
Supernatural recovery: Requires a medical facility and/or trip to an actual doctor or paramedic (for severe consequences) need doctor stunt and a scholarship roll of 'x' difficulty
Mythic Recovery:  (extreme consequences..?  Kind of have their own rules)

Actually, I'm not fond of how I wrote this out, but is this kind of what you thinking?

As is, the speed of recover kind of does depend on the type of medicine.  But it's completely up to the GM.  A severe heals after a session (or whatever- I forget).  If the GM doesn't feel you've gotten proper care, you can't even start the healing process, so it could take much longer than that.  But, I guess, the issue is what is 'proper care'.  The problem is consequences can be pretty much anything so one kind of severe could be much easier to tend than another.  So it's hard to make a hard and fast rule.

Offline sdfds68

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2015, 08:44:52 PM »
Uh, does this power apply to physical consequences or all consequences?

Offline Theogony_IX

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2015, 09:10:23 PM »
I originally imagined that it might apply to all consequences, but only to physical is probably a little more fitting.