Author Topic: were-form  (Read 1632 times)

Offline dmonty7990

• Participant
    • View Profile
were-form
« on: January 16, 2015, 01:45:19 PM »
Ok im a little curious about something. If you shapechange from human form into beast form, what would happen to your clothing? Just fall off and when you change back youre naked? Or do they get stored in the never never like extra mass does?

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
Re: were-form
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 01:51:40 PM »
Usually, the clothes don't change, meaning they simply fall off or would even hinder the animal, if they were caught wrapped inside them.

But storing the clothes in the nevernever during the transformation process could be something a specific character can do. He'd create a pocket in the nevernever and shift his stuff there, if you like. Not sure how much I'd charge for that, but I suppose that something like that is already represented on the custom power list.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Dougansf

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 03:56:37 PM »
I had my Crafting spec Wizard create minor magic items for the rest of the party.  They all burned a Refresh on "Refinement" to buy the item slots.

The raven shapechanger had one of the slots dedicated to the (mostly cosmetic) benefit of storing her clothing, to get rid of the embarrassing nude scenes.  I think we put a limit on it, so she (as the party thief) couldn't store just anything in there.

Offline Cadd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 06:36:40 PM »
The primary example of "clothes do not shift" is the Alphas and their teacher Tera West. They have to strip down before shifting or get tangled in theur clothes.
However, we also have examples of "clothes do shift along" in Listens-to-Wind and one of the new characters in Skin Game.
It's hard to tell wether it's simply a matter of skill, or if the Alphas "learned" a blind spot from Tera, her not really grokking clothes due to being what she is.

Offline dragoonbuster

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 06:49:49 PM »
The primary example of "clothes do not shift" is the Alphas and their teacher Tera West. They have to strip down before shifting or get tangled in theur clothes.
However, we also have examples of "clothes do shift along" in Listens-to-Wind and one of the new characters in Skin Game.
It's hard to tell wether it's simply a matter of skill, or if the Alphas "learned" a blind spot from Tera, her not really grokking clothes due to being what she is.

My interpretation would be that characters who naturally shapeshift--Skin Game--or approach it from more of a technical standpoint--Listens-to-Wind, i.e. formal magic--can store their clothes as a function of their shifting.

Those who learn it in some other way--basically any 'were' template--have to figure out how to deal with it. It's just one of the drawbacks of playing a wereform, an important one IMO. Every character type should have drawback/limitation somewhere.

Alternatively, the first two examples are characters who are "True" Shapeshifters...maybe that's the difference.
I'm a blacksmith! Here's some of what I do: https://www.etsy.com/shop/SoCalForge

Offline Cadd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2015, 07:10:39 PM »
Both those reasonings sounds fine.
I also remembered two more examples of "clothes shift", both of the type "(semi-)external force working the transformation": Hexenwulfs and Denarians.

So essentially - there is nothing in how transforming magic functions that makes it impossible for clothes to shift along, but so far it seems to require either extra skill (possibly full True Shapeshifting) or outside help.