Author Topic: Supernatural Senses  (Read 1568 times)

Offline Jim

• Participant
    • View Profile
Supernatural Senses
« on: January 09, 2015, 11:45:54 PM »
Another question, if I may.

Supernatural Sense [-1] indicates that it can be taken multiple times, each time for a different sense.  And it has two mutually exclusive optional trappings, each at an additional cost.

Strange Senses [-1] (Define a small set of up to three thematically related senses.)
Broad Senses [-2] (You have up to a dozen senses.)

If I take Supernatural Sense, then add Strange Senses for a total of [-2], then from the way things are written, I gather that if I wanted to add another trapping of Strange Senses, I would have to add another instance of Supernatural Sense, define a different sense, then add the Strange Senses trapping to that.

And I'm assuming the same for Broad Sense.  In other words, I can take Supernatural Sense multiple times, each time defining a different sense, but for each instance of Supernatural Sense, I can only add one instance (not multiple) of Strange Senses or only one instance (again, not multiple) of Broad Senses.

Am I interpreting this correctly?

Thanks.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
Re: Supernatural Senses
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 12:36:40 AM »
Your question sounds very theoretically. It might help if you could give an example of what you mean.

Generally, at least I handle it that way, you don't have to buy multiple supernatural senses. Once you got that, any new supernatural sense is covered by an update, even if it is another sensory organ. But I would also only allow senses that fit the characters theme. And just because you can have up tp 3/12, doesn't mean you need to get that many. If you need 2, you take strange senses and write down the two. But if a third one arises during play that makes sense, you could add that without paying any more.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline jackbythesea

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 01:09:57 AM »
Here's my personal opinion of Supernatural Senses as a power. They're pretty simple mechanically, roll the sense and the quality of the roll dictates the quality of the information you receive. Technically every character can use this mechanic for the five regular sense. If there is something special about your senses than you take Supernatural Sense.

From what I can tell about your question is you're asking, if RAW, is saying that if I take Strange Sense and say I can smell fear and then take Strange Senses and want to be able to smell fear, hate and be able to see infrared light, is that allowed. If I am right interpreting your question than your question than the answer is no, you need to take a separate Strange Senses for one refresh and then build on that separate thematic tree with Strange and Broad Senses.

Offline Jim

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 04:02:12 AM »
OK, after some time away from the screen, I've read your replies (thank you), and I've reread the power description, and I see what I missed before.

With the Strange Senses option, it says the small set of senses have to be thematically related.  My brain held on to that went I went on to read the description for Broad Senses, but that's not actually specified.  So, "Broad Senses" can cover something like, Smell Hope and See in Complete Darkness.  Those aren't thematically related, but for Broad Senses, they don't have to be.

I understand the point that the senses defined would still have to fit the character.  I was just confused about the bare mechanics.

Thank you for your replies.