Author Topic: books vs comic books (or graphic novels if you must)  (Read 1935 times)

Offline eviladam

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
books vs comic books (or graphic novels if you must)
« on: August 29, 2007, 10:00:14 AM »
I've been writing both novels and comics for some time now. I am in love with both mediums. A novel, or at least a good one, sucks you right into it's world. When I read the Dresden Files I can almost picture myself staring down Red Court vampires for instance. A comic can tell the same story, only both visually and with text. I love dynamic action scenes, cheesy sound effects (woo woo woo) (KaBLAM) and in really well drawn series the raw emotion on the characters faces.

So when I start a new project I am all ways grappelling with this question: "Would this make a better comic than it would a novel?" "Would this make a better novel than it would a comic?"

For one thing recognition in comics comes much easier than it does writing novels imo. Wizard Magazine is dedicated to comic books, and even underground series that show promise (30 Days of Night) are featured and stronglly recommended. Comic creatures, depending on their publisher, retain all rights to their work and a healthy chunk of the profits. Comic books spawn major motion pictures, action figures, t shirts and whole host of merchandise.

But there is just something about the power of a good novel at the same time.

So, with my current project I'm debating a switch in medium, and I can't decide. Although one major draw back is my lack of artistic ability which means I have to depend on some one else for most of the work.

Offline Spectacular Sameth

• Posty McPostington
  • At least 20% cooler in 10 seconds flat.
    • View Profile
    • Dragon City
Re: books vs comic books (or graphic novels if you must)
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 10:04:51 PM »
Um...I'd say it'd be easier to tell you if we knew what it was about.

Offline SunPhoenix

• Conversationalist
  • Unlike some people Stupidity doesn't discriminate.
    • View Profile
Re: books vs comic books (or graphic novels if you must)
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 12:24:44 AM »
Well I can see a little bit of it seeing how some ideas can possibly appear better visually I.E. in addition it might make a good movie t.v. show comic or graphic novel. It deals mainly with just your personal preferences.