Author Topic: Dresden Files one-shot/convention games  (Read 1615 times)

Offline DanteC

• Participant
    • View Profile
Dresden Files one-shot/convention games
« on: December 01, 2014, 11:04:32 PM »
I asked this a few months ago, but didn't word it too well.  Long story short, has anyone made up one-shot Dresden Files games and characters which would be suitable for a convention game, or a demo in a shop?  A setting, full cast of demo PC's etc.  Preferably ones that are approachable for those who haven't played the game or are not familiar with the setting.

I've flicked through the 3 casefiles, so they might be useful, but not sure how well they translate to game demos.  I'm still learning the system as well, so something that's easy on the GM is a bonus. 

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
Re: Dresden Files one-shot/convention games
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 06:37:40 AM »
I don't really. I could give you what I got for my games, but that's probably way too complex for a con game. You could look through the resources board for some interesting characters as well.

BUT I don't think that's going to help you much to get a hold of the system. City and character creation is a big part of the game, and going through it yourself is going to help you in the long run. So if you like, we can try and put something together here. I (and probably others) can help you flesh things out, fill in blanks etc., until you've got something to work with.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 03:45:07 PM »
I've flicked through the 3 casefiles, so they might be useful, but not sure how well they translate to game demos.

Very well, I gather. Never played them myself, but my understanding is that Night Fears and Neutral Grounds were made for this role. And the DriveThruRPG reviews for them are full of stuff like "a really good introductory adventure" and "a great con game". Evil Acts might not be so suitable, though.

Offline DanteC

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2014, 08:24:16 PM »
Did have an idea for a con game a few months ago, but real world got in the way (and now again).  PC's I did have idea's for though, included;

Supernatural fixer (mortal), someone who sources rare ingredients. 
Werewolf PI, using heightened senses to pick up clues etc. 
Occult book dealer (mortal), non magic-user, but in the know. 
Changeling stage magician, uses illusions to help enhance their magic tricks. 
Professional researcher/hacker (mortal)
Street-rat pyromancer,

Offline OwleIsohos

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, 09:34:43 PM »
Having run both Night Fears and Neutral Grounds, with a mix of people familiar with the system and people completely new to the game, I can say that they work very well as one-shot convention games/game demos.  Especially in Neutral Grounds, the questions they have you ask players in the beginning even give people a small taste of building the setting/their characters.

So I'll add my anecdotal evidence to the reviews.