Author Topic: The Irregular at Magic Highschool?  (Read 1220 times)

Offline citadel97501

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
The Irregular at Magic Highschool?
« on: November 19, 2014, 08:54:52 AM »
Hello all,
I just sat down and binge watched the whole tv series (Irregular at Magic Highschool) on Netflix and loved every minute of it, so I was interested in seeing if anyone had came up with a way to do it using the DFRPG rule set?  I can only think of three major options.

Evocation with CAD (Casting Assist Devices) being Foci that only work with Rotes...
Thaumaturgy with Enchanted Items...
Sponsored Magic: Focusing on specific clan types, with Foci that only work with Rotes...

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: The Irregular at Magic Highschool?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 05:27:54 AM »
I know almost nothing about the series. I suspect most of the people here are in the same boat. Why don't you tell us a bit about it?

Offline citadel97501

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 07:23:15 AM »
Here is the information in a compressed form, it leaves out some of the unusual things. 

Basically the world seems to be 5 to 10% wizards with a strong bent towards a scientific focus on magic.  The world is perpetually in a state of high alert due to tensions and war between all of the major countries most use wizards as their military arm due to efficiency.  Terrorist groups exist usually supported by enemy governments.  No monsters, everyone is as much or as little of a monster as they choose to be. 

Magic usually requires massive calculation and spell formulas to use, but the Caster Assist Device allows you to get around this. 

Most wizards ie use a Caster Assist Device, which basically allows evocation speed effects which is normally not even possible due to the formula for spells being overly complex.  These seem to have a number of design elements and can be mass produced with quality varying by skill of a Magical Engineer allowing more efficiency or technical spell use.  A few characters use gun like CAD's but a vast majority use what looks like a modern smart phone, or a bracer with a keypad. 

In the country the characters are from there are 10 major clans with specialties in certain kinds of magic.  They are usually the most powerful magic users think of them as the White Council with less rules...In addition to these things there are martial arts based magic styles, such as Shinobi fighting skills which focus on speed.  This I think makes it easy to have some powers such as inhuman strength or inhuman speed available. 

There are no enchanted items that can be used by non-magicians, or to be set up as continuous devices. 

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 01:57:24 PM »
The calculator sound like an IoP

Give a wizard Thaumaturgy or Clan-themed Ritual magic(for slow calculating magic)

The Iop is an Item with Evocation attached to it....or even a specific type of Clan-themed evothaum.

Edit:  higher 'quality' casting devices(calculators) can give points in refinement

Fill in the rest with powers like speed and toughness - maybe attach them to human form, representing how they have to cast a spell to activate them.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 02:29:47 PM by Taran »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 05:30:48 PM »
If the Caster Assist Devices can only be used for specific spells, you can represent that by attaching a Limitation to the Evocation/Channelling that they grant.