Author Topic: Strength rules question  (Read 1100 times)

Offline blackstaff67

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Strength rules question
« on: November 02, 2014, 09:56:25 PM »
P.183-4, each level of strength increases from Superior Strength to Superlative to Unstoppable, with a +1/+2/+3 to modify a skill "regardless of the actual comparison of your Might score to the skill in question."  To me, it sounds like "I get a +1 to +3 to my Fists or Weapons just because I'm really strong."  Is that my correct reading of the skill?  I'm afraid I need a ruling for this as it's sounds rather ambiguous to me. 
My Purity score: 37.2.  Sad.

Offline PirateJack

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Strength rules question
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 10:31:10 PM »
I go with no, for the most part.

Might should only modify in cases where you're actually able to leverage it, and the cases where it modifies Fists should be pretty rare. I see this aspect of the power relating more to the ability to use strength as a boost to Athletics for climbing/jumping/etc. or Intimidation rolls where you show off your strength (the scene where Thomas bends two dumbbells around each other would be this), or Survival where you wrestle an angry rottweiler to the ground and pin it there.

The extra power in your punches is modelled by the +X stress per level of Strength power to attacks using muscular force. After all, high Fists doesn't really mean that you're incredibly strong; it just means that you're really good at hitting things. All the strength in the world isn't going to do you any good if you can't land the blow.

EDIT: Think of it this way; how often do you have Might modify Fists without Strength powers being involved? That's how often it should modify after Strength too.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 10:32:48 PM by PirateJack »
Quote from: JoeC
"Why are you banging your head against the wall?
'cause it feels sooooo good when I stop..."

Offline blackstaff67

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Strength rules question
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 03:29:04 PM »
That's what I was concerned with.  The corollary to that would be "My Strength give me +X bonus, so even though my Fists/Weapons is Mediocre("0"), I'm still as good as a trained soldier or policeman."  Thanks for the clarification!
My Purity score: 37.2.  Sad.