Author Topic: Process Question  (Read 5230 times)

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
  • Persuasion is the key to success.
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
Re: Process Question
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2015, 02:13:57 AM »
How would one fit a day job around that, though ?  Unless one uses Lionel Fanthorpe-type tricks (dictate everything, run secretarial speed-typing classes in the evening, give each student a chapter on tape to type up.)

As an author my goal is that writing is my day job.  But I suppose that lots of people have to pull down two jobs to make ends meat.  So under that theory 8 hours straight job, 8 hours writing job?  But again much like 10k+ day I don't think many persons would willingly do it.

The Deposed King

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

The Deposed King (a member of baen's bar)

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
Re: Process Question
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2015, 03:40:59 PM »
As an author my goal is that writing is my day job.

Very much likewise, as an end goal.

The most reliable sources I've seen converge on the genre SF/fantasy market in North America supporting about forty people making enough to not need a day job at all, though.  And that's including the people at the Stephen King end of the scale.   So aiming for it and doing everything feasible to attain it does not well translate to expecting it to happen.

But I suppose that lots of people have to pull down two jobs to make ends meat.  So under that theory 8 hours straight job, 8 hours writing job? 

A day job that could be relied upon to not expand beyond those bounds would be nice, I suppose.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.