Author Topic: Please statting the Edward Elric  (Read 5033 times)

Offline Tirs

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Please statting the Edward Elric
« on: September 29, 2014, 02:48:33 PM »
What do u thing about his stats (without Philosopher stone)?
RPG of my dreams: vampires from True Blood, mages from Dresden files, werewolves from Mercy Thompson and fairy from... Hm,I shall think.

Offline dragoonbuster

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Please statting the Edward Elric
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 03:31:17 PM »
High scholarship/lore (FMA doesn't seem to differentiate a whole lot between the two), high empathy, high fight/weapons stats. Very high conviction. Probably pretty high endurance too. Survival and investigation can't be too bad either.

Low might, lowish Discipline when not studying something or doing alchemy (maybe better to stat with higher discipline and use aspects to represent that), low rapport, low intimidation.

Alchemy doesn't translate well to FATE based on how it's shown in the series; I'd probably go with a reskinned channeling: transformation and pick up Superior Transformation (for -3 instead of -2 refresh) if you want to do alchemy without a circle (in which case you'd need some aspect explaining why you opened the Gate and are able to do so, maybe even a "Lawbreaker" stunt). That doesn't solve how alchemy doesn't seem to tire it's user out at all. Someone better than me at custom powers might have some ideas.\

Ed is one of the best State Alchemists there are at 16, not even counting the fact he could beat up well-trained soldiers without blinking too much. He's probably running around with at least 12 refresh if not something more like 16-18, if you start thinking about all the various stunts he probably has.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 03:43:36 PM by dragoonbuster »
I'm a blacksmith! Here's some of what I do: https://www.etsy.com/shop/SoCalForge

Offline PirateJack

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 05:35:14 PM »
I'd go with Ritual and Incite Effect rather than Channelling.

Ritual accurately sets out the greater circle effects like those that Father set up while Incite Effect (Alchemy) is more than enough to cover Edward's ability to instantly transform things. Other State Alchemists would be more restricted, of course. I'd tie Incite Effect into Lore or Discipline, probably Discipline. Lore would be used to work out new alchemical circles. The Philosopher's Stone would be a form of Sponsored Magic.
Quote from: JoeC
"Why are you banging your head against the wall?
'cause it feels sooooo good when I stop..."

Offline dragoonbuster

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 06:18:15 PM »
I'd go with Ritual and Incite Effect rather than Channelling.

Ritual accurately sets out the greater circle effects like those that Father set up while Incite Effect (Alchemy) is more than enough to cover Edward's ability to instantly transform things. Other State Alchemists would be more restricted, of course. I'd tie Incite Effect into Lore or Discipline, probably Discipline. Lore would be used to work out new alchemical circles. The Philosopher's Stone would be a form of Sponsored Magic.

Whoops, I meant Ritual. Incite Effect would work, too.
(...I always use the wrong term because I associate the word "channeling" in terms of channeling and storing energy over multiple exchanges. )

To me the Stone is both "sponsored magic" and a battery of "pre-paid" sponsor debt--
(click to show/hide)
--and the stone breaks once all the debt has been used as energy in alchemic reactions.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 06:23:54 PM by dragoonbuster »
I'm a blacksmith! Here's some of what I do: https://www.etsy.com/shop/SoCalForge

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 12:25:33 AM »
It's been a while since I read FMA, but I don't remember Ed doing much that Incite Effect wouldn't cover. Trying to ressurrect his mom would require Ritual, but I don't think he does anything like that during the actual series...I guess his ability to create/repair stuff instantly would be some kind of Craftsmanship replacement.

It seems like a shame to put Incite Effect with damaging upgrades on a character with actual combat skills, though. After all, one of Incite Effect's main selling points is that it lets you fight with whatever skill you want. So maybe a reflavoured Supernatural Martial Arts would be better.

Hm. I'll take a crack at him and post the results tonight.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 01:44:55 AM »
Working under the assumption that in FMA Scholarship and Lore are the same. Used a mixture of Supernatural Martial Arts and Incite Effect for his combat alchemy. Threw in Claws/Natural Weaponry because he's got a metal fist and some dangerous close-range alchemical attacks.

I'm not too confident in my memory, so this might be a ways off. Especially where Aspects are concerned. Let me know if something seems wrong.

I could easily have given him more Refresh and skills, but I figured I'd rather not go too overboard.

Edward Elric (Submerged)

High Concept: State Alchemist
Trouble Aspect: We Need Our Bodies Back
Other Aspects: Don't Call Me Short!, In Love With Winry, Jerk With A Heart Of Gold, Automail Limbs, Hohenheim's Son
Skills:
Superb: Scholarship
Great: Fists, Athletics
Good: Endurance, Conviction, Investigation
Fair: Survival, Discipline, Alertness, Empathy
Average: Intimidation, Might, Presence, Resources, Stealth
Stunts:
Capable Researcher (Scholarship): All research is two time increments faster.
Transmutation (Scholarship): Use Scholarship instead of Craftsmanship to build, break, and repair simple things.
Quick Transmutation (Scholarship): Scholarship-as-Craftsmanship rolls are two time increments faster.
Armed Arts (Fists): Use Fists to wield short swords and spears.
Powers:
Incite Effect (Transmutation) [-1]
Supernatural Martial Arts (Enhanced Accuracy, Enhanced Damage, Distant Strike) [-1]
Natural Weaponry [-1]
Inhuman Speed [-2]
Total Refresh Cost:
Refresh Total:
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 06:13:50 PM by Sanctaphrax »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2014, 01:40:32 AM »
Does nobody have anything to say?

Offline PirateJack

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2014, 06:10:15 AM »
Oops, must have forgotten to click Post on that last one.

It looks good, except for one part. Edward tends to transform his automail arm into a blade when fighting, so I'd swap out Fists for Weapons.

Offline dragoonbuster

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2014, 02:48:33 PM »
Oops, must have forgotten to click Post on that last one.

It looks good, except for one part. Edward tends to transform his automail arm into a blade when fighting, so I'd swap out Fists for Weapons.

Looks pretty good to me too. However, I'd pick up the Armed Arts stunt for short swords and spears (his two weapons of choice) over swapping skill. He's shown that he's equally capable of fighting with just his hands and feet; plus I think the Natural Weapons power Sancraphrax gave him was representative of that automail sword, which could be wielded with Fists.

It might be worth him picking up Inhuman Speed, too. At one point, once he gets his automail upgraded, there's mention that's he's even faster than Scar--who is far and away faster than any other pure mortals in the series. Only some Chimeras and Homonculi are faster than him...seems like even a high Athletics skill doesn't fully represent that.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 03:12:40 PM by dragoonbuster »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2014, 06:12:51 PM »
Looks pretty good to me too. However, I'd pick up the Armed Arts stunt for short swords and spears (his two weapons of choice) over swapping skill. He's shown that he's equally capable of fighting with just his hands and feet; plus I think the Natural Weapons power Sancraphrax gave him was representative of that automail sword, which could be wielded with Fists.

Yes, the Natural Weaponry Power was intended to represent stuff like that. I didn't remember him using real weapons, though.

Anyway, I'll add Armed Arts.

It might be worth him picking up Inhuman Speed, too. At one point, once he gets his automail upgraded, there's mention that's he's even faster than Scar--who is far and away faster than any other pure mortals in the series. Only some Chimeras and Homonculi are faster than him...seems like even a high Athletics skill doesn't fully represent that.

Hm.

It'll push him down to 1 Refresh, but...why not?

Offline dragoonbuster

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2014, 08:03:49 PM »
Yes, the Natural Weaponry Power was intended to represent stuff like that. I didn't remember him using real weapons, though.

He rarely does so, and maybe it's just in the anime (never read the manga), but he likes to transmute a sort of spear-like weapon with a longer/wider blade than typical. I can't remember the other times, but he definitely does it fighting when Father Cornello.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2014, 04:14:28 PM »
He rarely does so, and maybe it's just in the anime (never read the manga), but he likes to transmute a sort of spear-like weapon with a longer/wider blade than typical. I can't remember the other times, but he definitely does it fighting when Father Cornello.
He did it once or twice (I get the two anime's confused), and Im pretty sure his sensei did as well, which is probably where he got it. 

I do really like the idea of Lawbreaker for having violated the Taboo's of Alchemy, that was a major plot point and fits the mechanic pretty well.  I also might change the High Concept to "Dog of the Military" instead of State Alchemist.  Close in context but illustrates the touch of resentment he has for the government. 

The big question here is whether you'll have other alchemists running around.  Some of these solutions work great for Ed's unique abilities, but might break down a bit when there is somebody around to directly compare him to.  The rules for alchemy might looks much different if you were modeling the Flame Alchemist for example (more Evocation oriented Id expect).
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline dragoonbuster

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2014, 04:21:43 PM »
The big question here is whether you'll have other alchemists running around.  Some of these solutions work great for Ed's unique abilities, but might break down a bit when there is somebody around to directly compare him to.  The rules for alchemy might looks much different if you were modeling the Flame Alchemist for example (more Evocation oriented Id expect).

Yeah...I think if I were incorporating Alchemy as a major part of my game I'd sit down and rewrite the Evocation/Thaumaturgy rules into a combined version of the power, using focus items as justification for what kind of alchemy you can do "on the fly."

The issue of energy use still crops up. I mean, Mustang and other State Alchemists have performed enormous transmutations or transmutations involving huge amounts of energy--all without appearing the least bit tired after it's done.

Ultimately I think the Dresdenverse and the world of Amestris don't really fit together very well in terms of trying to balance traditional magic against alchemy, though Amestris could be done well enough in FATE.

Offline PirateJack

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2014, 04:26:31 PM »
Well, Incite Effect and Natural Weaponry work fairly well for the majority of alchemy and alkahestry. You don't really need evocation for either. Ritual (Alchemy) is good enough to cover everything else. If you want to adapt DFRPG to the setting then Ritual (Speciality) can be split between the various schools of alchemy.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2014, 01:08:43 PM »
The issue of energy use still crops up. I mean, Mustang and other State Alchemists have performed enormous transmutations or transmutations involving huge amounts of energy--all without appearing the least bit tired after it's done.
Well, part of that at least can be explained by the Red Stones that were hidden in the State Alchemist Watches, so their energy use would be subsidized in that case. 

Well, Incite Effect and Natural Weaponry work fairly well for the majority of alchemy and alkahestry. You don't really need evocation for either. Ritual (Alchemy) is good enough to cover everything else. If you want to adapt DFRPG to the setting then Ritual (Speciality) can be split between the various schools of alchemy.
Oh, Right, Alkahestry...   Irrc the main functional difference was that Alkahestry could be operated at range, yes?  Users were typically granted a 6th sense for energy that let them track Homonculi, but was there any difference in the magic itself that would need to be reflected in the mechanics?
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain