Author Topic: Handling Uber Ghouls  (Read 1613 times)

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
Handling Uber Ghouls
« on: September 09, 2014, 08:35:46 PM »
Looking at the mechanics, the Uber Ghouls' write-up doesn't quite match up to what we see in the books. Specifically, I'm referring to their recovery abilities. In White Night, they get blown to pieces, then start literally pulling themselves together moments later. Even Mythic Recovery doesn't let you do that in the middle of a fight, even if all the injuries you take short of Extreme are gone at the end of the scene.

So I'm thinking of a couple ways to handle this:

1. Instead of them taking consequences, they're simply taken out by massive damage but, owing to their nigh-unkillability, any kill that doesn't destroy their mass (like Ramirez' shield liquifies them, or burning them) means they can come back into the fray a turn or two later.

2. Replacing Mythic Recovery with outright Physical Immunity, and doing the 'limbs blown off and reattaching' bit as flavor. So, short of those attacks that disintegrate, you can't truly take them out, only maneuver them long enough to set something up or get away.

Thoughts?
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline citadel97501

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Handling Uber Ghouls
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 08:54:18 PM »
I think that is just an interpretation of the last part of Mythic Recovery. 
-Clearing away a minor physical consequence 3 times as a supplemental action. 

The other argument is that it was being used by his GM, to show their ridiculous healing as a warning to push the scene along, so they didn't get bogged down in combat for too long. 

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
  • Actually just a jar full of bees attached to a CPU
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 09:09:39 PM »
Actually, Mythic Recovery is pretty much a perfect model for that. Tessa has it too, and she does the "pulling yourself together" thing as well. Mechanics-wise, the uberghouls were Taken Out, but not by a Catch-satisfying attack, so their recovery was valid. That specific chapter/s and how many times the "scene" changed during it has been the topic of much debate on this board, but it's pretty clear it happens at least once. So the scene ends, Mythic Recovery comes into effect, the uberghouls clear all their consequences and stress tracks, and arise anew.
Hi! My home is called an apiary! I collect honey, and defend the Queen!

Not-so-secretly a power hungry megalomaniac with a Modular Abilities addiction.

Offline Dougansf

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 04:16:14 AM »
I think at some point in that scene, the uber-ghouls may have switched from powerful NPC's to powerful minions.

Or you could use the fractal and make the mass of ghouls into a character with a stress track (which also cleared during the debated encounter breaks) and a recovery power.  Similarly, the gathered WCVs and the rescue squad might have become characters as well.

For a great example of what I'm talking about, read this Fate Accelerated rendition of The Avengers, and how it deals with the Chituari invasion of New York.  http://station53.blogspot.com/2014/07/avengers-accelerated-invasion-begins.html

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 11:17:23 AM »
You could treat that as a scene aspect. If I remember correctly, at some point, when the power went away, they were quite easy to be killed. So you could just have them killed and create new and fresh ghouls a bit later, like the original was dead and a new one has entered the room. This will stop once they are cut off from their power source.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 02:10:46 PM »
Also, the group can describe stress however it wants to. Even if it's just two stress, it can be described as temporary dismemberment.

Offline PirateJack

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 03:09:24 PM »
You could treat that as a scene aspect. If I remember correctly, at some point, when the power went away, they were quite easy to be killed. So you could just have them killed and create new and fresh ghouls a bit later, like the original was dead and a new one has entered the room. This will stop once they are cut off from their power source.

I don't recall that part. From what I understood it took dropping several thousand tons of rock on top of them to stop the regeneration and that even then it's not certain that they're dead.
Quote from: JoeC
"Why are you banging your head against the wall?
'cause it feels sooooo good when I stop..."

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2014, 04:19:41 PM »
I don't recall that part. From what I understood it took dropping several thousand tons of rock on top of them to stop the regeneration and that even then it's not certain that they're dead.
I might have mistaken that with something I have done or had planned in a game. It's been a while that I read the book, actually. Apologies.

The general idea still stands. As long as an environmental factor holds up, things can come back. You don't necessarily need to use recovery or toughness powers for it, if there's a factor like that.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal