Author Topic: Shapeshafiting/Skill shuffle and extra consequences  (Read 2389 times)

Offline Baron Hazard

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Shapeshafiting/Skill shuffle and extra consequences
« on: August 24, 2014, 05:55:36 AM »
i was trying to search, but the annoying cap on 1 search per 60 seconds makes it nearly impossible, but i didnt see anything come up on my first two attempts using different criteria.

How do you guys rule the extra consequence granted from the skill shuffle trapping of shapeshifting (if the shapeshifter takes an endurance 5 in beast form and his human form has lower)? For the sake of not saying "they lose the empty one instead" lets assume both mild consequences are used and you shape shift out.

do you let it go? since its the end of a scene and its not that deterimental anyway (assuming they shapeshift out at the end of a fight or what not), does it "upgrade" or does the slot go away but remains as an aspect for the next scene? i think thats the ways i can think of to handle it.

Offline Cadd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Shapeshafiting/Skill shuffle and extra consequences
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 11:09:12 AM »
I'd treat it like the extra stressboxes - unavailable but if filled it's still there. So, your last option.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 12:46:22 PM »
I agree

If  you take a consequence and then you change to a form that no longer has a spare slot, the consequence just stays with the character.

Offline killking72

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 08:16:52 PM »
i was trying to search, but the annoying cap on 1 search per 60 seconds makes it nearly impossible, but i didnt see anything come up on my first two attempts using different criteria.

How do you guys rule the extra consequence granted from the skill shuffle trapping of shapeshifting (if the shapeshifter takes an endurance 5 in beast form and his human form has lower)? For the sake of not saying "they lose the empty one instead" lets assume both mild consequences are used and you shape shift out.

do you let it go? since its the end of a scene and its not that deterimental anyway (assuming they shapeshift out at the end of a fight or what not), does it "upgrade" or does the slot go away but remains as an aspect for the next scene? i think thats the ways i can think of to handle it.

How it works is say you skill shuffle and have 5 endurance, and you decide to fill up your extra physical mild consequence. When you change back to human form, the consequence is still there in your bear form, and will continue to be on your bear until it heals.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 08:25:26 PM »
How it works is say you skill shuffle and have 5 endurance, and you decide to fill up your extra physical mild consequence. When you change back to human form, the consequence is still there in your bear form, and will continue to be on your bear until it heals.

I don't get what you mean.

If your bear form takes a "bruised Chin" consequence and a 'black eye' consequence, the bruised chin and the black eye will still be there when you change back to human form, even if your human form only has one mild consequence.

I could see it changing, depending on the consequence.  A 'sliced paw' might become a 'sliced hand' in human form.

Offline PirateJack

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 09:41:53 PM »
The Alphas retain their injuries in human form, though they've taken to patching them up with ectoplasm. That suggests to me that the consequence sticks around. If you're not a fan of allowing the human form an extra consequence when they don't have Endurance 5, you could say that the wound is much more serious in human form and thus deserving of a moderate consequence. After all, a scratch to a bear would be a pretty serious injury on a human-sized being.
Quote from: JoeC
"Why are you banging your head against the wall?
'cause it feels sooooo good when I stop..."

Offline Starjammer

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 12:58:02 AM »
I'd say that you either have to roll one up to the next available consequence slot or get taken out or concede.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 01:03:00 AM »
I did a search of my own. It was tricky and I'm pretty sure I missed at least one thread, but I did find a few links.

Offline solbergb

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 03:25:53 AM »
The linked threads are pretty helpful if you only have one form.    Ie, your bear has a consequence only the bear can have, it'll be there when you change back, may even need to be put in recovery while in bear form.  so pick a consequence only the bear could have, that doesn't make sense for a human, and it's fine that it vanishes when you are human.

For True Shapeshift it is a lot messier.   You could have lots of forms with 5 endurance, and a consequence that makes sense for a bear might not make sense for an elephant.

My solution was to essentially say that 5 endurance is a statement means you're using ectoplasm somehow to increase mass even if you don't go all the way to the 2 point Large power.  So for me the extra consequence is tied into your ability to increase mass, it's damaged until that consequence is dealt with....your ectoplasmic extra mass always is missing a tail, or has a flap of skin hanging off or something, or the ectoplasm itches, consistent from form to form.   It is likely tied deeply into the self-image of the shapeshifter until fixed, so it is a "tic".   It isn't a perfect solution - I expect you'll need to really look at the actual character and decide what is best, from a flavor standpoint, to make the mechanics work where that extra consequence behaves as if it was an extra conditional stress box and not take you out of suspension of disbelief.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2014, 12:19:38 PM »
I think it's fine to rename a consequence so it fits the form you are in.  Paws become hands, scorched fur becomes scorched hair.  Physical consequences don't even need to be cuts n bruises.  It could be winded, exhausted or something else that translates cross-species.

The point is you still have an extra mild consequence that is taggable.

Offline solbergb

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2014, 06:16:09 PM »
Well yeah, any consequence that exists in both forms is ideally good in both forms.

It's the ones that only exist in one form that are the problem here.  Or for me, one that is created in one form, doesn't exist in human form, and re-appears in another form unrelated to the first.

As long as the special "endurance consequence" makes sense for any "high endurance" form, then it should be fine. 

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2014, 06:20:19 PM »
It's the ones that only exist in one form that are the problem here.  Or for me, one that is created in one form, doesn't exist in human form, and re-appears in another form unrelated to the first.

I can't really think of an example that can't easily be changed to suit a human form - at least for mild consequences.

Maybe 'lost tail feathers'

But I'd allow that to be changed to 'bruised ass' or something.  Like I said, re-wording consequences doesn't seem like a huge deal to me.

Offline solbergb

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2014, 07:29:34 PM »
By "exist in only one form" I mean "Character has endurance 5 only in one form, and thus a consequence that only exists when he is in that form".

Not "cut paw vs cut hand".

It is a weird mechanical quirk that is hard to justify in character.  Therefore choosing consequences that only make sense if you have shapeshifted into a 5 endurance being is helpful to suspension of disbelief for those situations.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2014, 01:41:50 AM »
Characters can only GAIN such consequences in the appropriate forms.  They don't have to lose them when they change back/out (though the nature of the consequence might need to adapt to remain appropriate to the new form).
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough