Author Topic: Re-Direction Power  (Read 1467 times)

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
Re-Direction Power
« on: August 21, 2014, 07:02:40 AM »
I was thinking the damage aura power and how it might be upgraded to represent a powerful illusionist ability to get his enemies to kill each other whilst they are supposedly shooting at him.

Re-Direct (-1)
When someone misses you with an attack which would usually cause them to take stress from damage aura you can choose to instead target another enemy who they could have hit (same zone for melee, two to three zones away for ranged) using your defence roll as an attack roll.
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
Re: Re-Direction Power
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 02:21:25 PM »
Isn't it much simpler to do this as a maneuver -- or even as a direct attack?
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 02:47:26 PM »
I feel it breaks the action economy by giving you as many attacks as you have dodges.

Mythic speed+a dodge stunt+full defense+max athletics can give you a dodge of +11 which translates as an attack every time you are targeted.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 02:49:05 PM by Taran »

Offline solbergb

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 03:03:06 PM »
The redirect or riposte stunt let you do the trick with only one avoided attack, and it uses your next exchange.  The power should be built along those lines.

I actually think that this should just be something you can do...Fate Core has a "Defend with Style" which puts a fragile aspect on an enemy or possibly the scene if you beat their attack by a lot.  That lets you do things like deflect an incoming bullet into a spotlight, or have somebody overbalance after missing you, etc.  The Dresden books have a number of examples of Harry using his shield spell to deflect attacks in useful ways, and some of his enemies manage the same.  We know Harry doesn't have an Riposte type stunt, although I guess with magic you might generate shifts with drawn power to combine a block with a maneuver if the GM is ok with it. (eg, draw 8 shifts for a level 4 block and level 4 maneuver, the maneuver can only be used if someone attacks your block, to simulate Harry angling his shield so a charging enemy goes flying into the air after bouncing off)  Might do a "zonewide" block and maneuver to handle multiple attacks until the block is knocked down..12 shifts of power for the same effect)

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 07:26:38 PM »
The damage aura custom power that's this was meant as a upgrade for actually did all the action economy thing just limited to the target who attacked you. It is debatable the balance of the power but I don't think this upgrade makes it that much more powerful.
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 10:11:19 PM »
If you're willing to dig through some unrelated discussions, you can find some talk about another attempt at this sort of thing here.

Anyway, Damage Shield does give you extra actions. But only when your opponents give them to you. I don't think it's all that powerful...but to be honest, I haven't had much chance to test it. I put it on some NPCs and then my players didn't fight them.