Author Topic: Canim statting  (Read 5047 times)

Offline MadAlchemist

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Canim statting
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2014, 07:05:30 AM »
I'm hacking together custom Furycrafting powers, and I could post an example of the basic rule structure along with, say, Windcrafting, but, well, they're sort of terrible. And they're absolutely not balanced against all the other Powers, because I built them specifically for a Codex Alera game.

Should I post them?
I think the answer there is: Why not? We are kinda' geeking out about this already. The more ideas we have to look at the better.
No two suggestions so far have been that similar so I'm really curious to see what else could be done to model this stuff. Especially since we seem to have widely divergent ideas about power levels around here. Which is pretty useful.
Ohh, were talking Alera as the base setting so why not have a zero or one point power for Alerans allowing them to do the kind of basic effects a channeler could do without stress in one element? The "Yup, I can Firecraft. See, I can light a torch that's covered in pitch already" effects.
Oh and what about the Marat? Echoes and an inhuman level power? Then you need to use minion rules for the...the is a Marat word and it's escaping me.. animal companion? Or maybe Mimic Ability but that's kind of pointless when you can't trade it out. The science-nerd in me says they should be human-ish. Or at least closely related.   

Offline PirateJack

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2014, 03:36:46 PM »
Okay, let's have a look at the common elements between furycrafters are:

1) Overuse leads to tiredness (or headaches, I can't remember)
2) Crafters can manifest their Fury using the appropriate element.
3) You must be in contact with your Fury's element to use its powers (so earthcrafting requires touching the ground, woodcrafters need foliage around them, metalcrafters need some form of metal on their person, etc.)
4) If a fury is bound into an object, anyone with any type of crafting can use it. This explains how non-earthcrafters can use the causeways.
5) Using internal crafting affects your emotions in line with your element (fire makes you more hostile, water makes you empathetic, metal makes you stoic) though not to the point of it being obvious.
6) Furies can be imbued in objects to create an effect in line with their element (e.g. the fear torch in Furies of Calderon)

Now for the individual elements:

Fire - Control of heat, both increasing it and decreasing it. Emotional manipulation affecting passion/anger/fear.

Water - Control of water in all its forms. Emotion reading (can be overwhelming without some metalcrafting to balance it out). Long distance communication/divination using bodies of water. Healing. Shapeshifting to a superficial degree. (I'd lump these two into biomancy, really)

Wind - Air control. Flight. Increased speed/reaction times. Increased clarity. Occasionally increased strength due to speed (this hurts the windcrafter). Windcrafted lenses to make telescopes/magnifying glasses.

Earth - Earth control. Ground based SONAR. Emotional manipulation affecting lust/calm. Strength/Toughness when in contact with ground.

Metal - Control of metal (only at very high proficiency). Discipline enhancement, the ability to dull pain and mentally 'centre' oneself (useful for watercrafters). Enhancing the toughness of armour and the sharpness of blades. At very high levels the ability to encase oneself in metal and still be able to move. Manifesting metal furies is incredibly rare.

Wood - Control of wood and flora. Veils and minor illusions (requires a certain level of foliage). Increased accuracy using bows.

Mechanics wise I'd go for this:

General Furycrafting - Sponsored Magic (Element). These would need to be fairly broad, possibly costing more than the regular [-4], especially for watercrafting. Supernatural Senses would also be standard for the various emotion/metal/wood/etc. sensing abilities. I think it's only fire and wind that don't get an ability like that. Earth's SONAR is probably more of an Alertness replacement roll, since it's not passive.

Fire - Sponsored Magic (Firecrafting) [-4]. Incite Mental Effect at Range with Additional Element (Deceit: Passion/Fear) [-4]. I'm using Incite Effect for this for two reasons: 1) It allows crafters to using a skill other than Discipline for affecting emotions. Kord, for instance, isn't one for discipline but he's very good at intimidation and that is reflected in his abilities. Total: [-8]

Water - Sponsored Magic (Watercrafting) [-5]. Supernatural Sense (Emotions) [-1]. Mimic Form [-2] (There isn't really a power that completely models watercrafting's shapeshifting, but this is the closest). Total: [-8]

Wind - Sponsored Magic (Windcrafting) [-4]. Inhuman Speed [-2]. Wings [-1]. Using the Jet Stream [-1] - +2 to Sprint rolls when flying at high altitude. Total: [-8]

Earth - Sponsored Magic (Earthcrafting) [-4]. Inhuman Strength [-2]. Inhuman Toughness [-2]. The Catch [+1] (Contact with the ground). Incite Effect at Range with Additional Element (Rapport: Lust/Calm) [-3]. Total: [-10]

Metal - Sponsored Magic (Metalcrafting) [-4?]. Supernatural Sense [-1] (Nearby metal). No Pain No Gain [-1] (Requires contact with metal). Calm Blue Ocean [-1] (Requires contact with metal). Incite Potent Protective Physical Effect [-4] (Weapons). Total: [-11]

NOTE: I'm note sure whether to use Incite Effect to simulate metalcrafter's superhuman swordsmanship abilities when Sponsored Magic can plausibly cover it, but it seems to me that SM in this case is reserved for the big magical effects rather than standard stuff. As well as that, a great metalcrafter does not require high conviction; only high Weapons and Discipline, which makes me think Incite Effect more than SM. Also, I went with No Pain No Gain rather than Inhuman Toughness because metalcrafters are still as squishy as regular people, they just don't feel it. They're like the Terminator. Possible other stunt would be Unshakeable to reduce enemy aspect/consequence invocations on your person to a +1 bonus.

Wood - Sponsored Magic (Woodcrafting) [-4]. Supernatural Sense [-1] (Alertness: Wood). Incite Protective Physical Effect at Range [-3] (Bows). Total: [-8]

NOTE: Bows replaces the Guns skill. The protective part of IE for this build is to simulate the way Bernard was able to knock arrows out of mid-air before they could hit him, using nothing but HIS MIND!

That's my basic build for each of the elements. Sponsored Magic costs may change based on Hick Jr's custom jobs.
Quote from: JoeC
"Why are you banging your head against the wall?
'cause it feels sooooo good when I stop..."

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2014, 07:19:22 PM »
Nah, those stats are clearly wrong. If ordinary Alerans had those powers, an army of Alerans would be able to kill an equally-sized army of Canim in one round with only minor casualties.

Normal Alerans simply don't have the oomph that Sponsored Magic grants, and I'm pretty sure many of the iconic effects of various elements are only available to the skilled. Like...flying isn't a super-common feat.

I'm hacking together custom Furycrafting powers, and I could post an example of the basic rule structure along with, say, Windcrafting, but, well, they're sort of terrible. And they're absolutely not balanced against all the other Powers, because I built them specifically for a Codex Alera game.

Should I post them?

Yes.

Offline dragoonbuster

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2014, 08:39:31 PM »
The simplest way to build furycrafters is probably to purchase powers you want access to, justifying them with various elements you have access to based on High Concept and other aspects. Slap a Moderate or Severe Limitation of onto the lot of them (that's sort of my average Limitation between certain environments limiting crafting and the well-known counters to each element). There's no "base" build for furycrafters, really. Treat Mundane Furycrafting as a [-0] or possibly a [-1] power. The rest is experience, talent, training (e.g. refresh).

I don't feel like that really represents the flexibility we've seen that furycrafting allows among the elites, though. And when I hear "needs more flexibility" I think Modular Abilities, so I worked that into some spellcasting and got this. Probably needs adjusting numbers in places, but I think it's about the right framework. It is written with talented Steadholders, Legionnaires and the Citizenry in mind--those Alerans that do have training, education, strength, and experience to have gained some real talent with Furycrafting--i.e., the kinds of PCs people would want to play.

This could (and probably should be) be broken down into a couple simpler, less expensive powers for those with only a modicum of furycrafting available. Done right, this power would require it's own extensive "What You Can Do With It" section like there is for evocation and thaumaturgy for non-Alera fans to use it to its full extent. "Channeling" with each element isn't like doing so as a Dresden caster, it would involve the traits and capabilities of of Watercrafting, Firecrafting, Aircrafting, etc. I did my best to keep the number crunching to a minimum. It's up to the GM and player to set reasonable limits on what they can do, based on High Concepts and other Aspects.

Superior Aleran Furycrafting [-4]
Description: You are one of the Citizenry, an experienced Legionnaire, a Knight, a powerful Steadholder, or otherwise somehow have the capability, talent, and training capable of wielding the Furies of Alera to a superior degree.
Musts: You must have a High Concept related to your heritage as an Aleran in order to take this power. When you take this power, you must select one element (Fire, Water, Earth, Air, Metal, or Wood) that you are initially specialized at crafting with.
Options: See below. Specific abilities may be purchased outside of the modular set to always have access to them.
Skills Affected: All, potentially. Various powers and abilities granted by furycrafting can require skill rolls across the spectrum of skills. The GM is the ultimate adjudicator of what skill can or must be used in a specific circumstance. In many cases, Conviction and Discipline can be appropriate. Also see Internalized furycrafting.
Note: Just as spellcasters have areas of weaknesses, so do furycrafters. Most furycrafters tend to specialize in only a few aspects of their respective element(s). Character aspects and compels to them are encouraged to reinforce this concept. The PC is encouraged to work with the GM to come up with a list or range of possible abilities and stunts that can be taken with the furycrafting they have access to before play. This may change throughout gameplay, even during a session.
Effects:
        Mundane Furycrafting. You may perform minor feats of furycrafting, or operate items with furies bound to them with relative ease, regardless of what element it is, provided justification for being trained in its use. That means furylamps, coldstones, etc. Most citizens are capable of taking advantage of the earth furies built into the Aleran Empire’s roads, for example. Legionnaires are trained to take advantage of the roads, in igniting small fires and keeping themselves warm in the cold with a little Firecrafting, and how to keep their weapons and armor in good shape with minor Metalcrafting. A skill roll may or may not be required for these feats or to use these items.
        Fury Points. You may rearrange your fury points to perform various feats of furycrafting. When you take the Aleran Furycrafting ability, you start with two fury points. One pool is used to draw on for both internalized and externalized crafting.
        Internalized Furycrafting. You may perform feats of internalized crafting. What those feats are depend on the elements you can use. You may take a supplemental action to rearrange your fury points into a variety of abilities that have internal (nonvisible) effects. Internalized crafting takes the form of additional speed, strength, toughness, faster reaction times, altering emotional states, taking on some supernatural senses, etc. Incite Effect is commonly used to represent various internalized crafting. You may also use fury points to temporarily take on stunts. These must be narratively justified by furycraft ability and training, and often involve moving skill trappings to Discipline or Conviction or creating new ones. For example, woodcrafters might arrange a point to roll Conviction to defend against ranged attacks with wooden weapons by deflecting them.
        Externalized Furycrafting. You may perform feats of externalized crafting. What those feats are depend on the elements you can use. You may take a supplemental action to rearrange your fury points into a variety of abilities that have external (visible) effects. For instance, aircrafters might add Flight and Spider Walk, or Glamours to turn create veils (which may also be done with fury channeling, see next sentence). Firecrafters might take Potent Natural Summoned Ranged Weaponry to blast foes. Incite Effect is commonly used to represent various externalized crafting. These must be narratively justified by furycraft ability and training.
        You may also use two available fury points from your pool at any time to use all of the methods granted by Channeling and Ritual in an element (as long as you’re capable of furycrafting with that element). You may perform those Rituals with the speed and methods of evocation. You may manipulate the form points you have invested in channeling as a free action.
        Specialization. When you take the Furycrafting power, you get one free specialization in your initial element, +1 to Control or Power when performing externalized furycrafting evocations/rituals, just as with the Evocation power. Specializations taken apply to evocations and rituals performed with furycrafting; there are no separate specializations required.
        Manifest Furies. You are capable of visibly manifesting your furies to aid you in various ways. Often, manifest furies are used as justification in furycrafting rituals or evocations. Earth furies are often used to move or lift heavy things, wood furies may manifest to distract an enemy for a moment in combat, etc.
        Alternatively, a furycrafter can set aside any number of fury points in a scene to have their furies fight beside them (or otherwise aid them). The manifest fury has a base refresh equal to the number of total fury points set aside and 3 skill points per fury point set aside (so setting aside 5 fury points gives a 5 refresh fury with 15 skill points). The fury’s skill cap is equal to the number of points set aside or the game’s overall skill cap, whichever comes first. The fury’s skills do not need to obey the rules of the skill pyramid. You may spend the fury’s refresh on abilities and stunts down to 0 refresh. Each unspent refresh grants the fury a FP for the scene.
        You may manifest one fury initially in the element you choose when you take this power, and it must be defined before use. Once defined, you may not change the basic type, appearance, demeanor, etc of the fury. Your fury’s refresh value and specific powers/skills may be rearranged at a significant milestone. To manifest a fury, you must cast a Ritual with complexity/power equal to the Fury’s refresh value, controlled with your Discipline (plus any Control specialization bonuses you have). If your control is greater than or equal to the complexity/power, it obeys your commands. Instead of suffering fallout or backlash on a failed control roll, the manifestation succeeds and the fury will generally help you, but it is under the GM’s command. You may manifest any number of your furies at once, up to your Conviction or Discipline (choose one). If one of your Furies is taken out, you immediately take mental stress equal to its physical stress track length. You may take mental consequences to prevent your furies from being taken out.
        Limitations. You may arrange a number of Rote Spells used in externalized channeling equal to your Lore (including manifestations), subject to the same rules as Evocation rote spells. These may be any combination of elements, but you only have access to an element’s rotes when you have set aside form points to channel with that element.
         Countering each element of furycrafting is quite possible, and the methods to do so are well known in Alera. When exposed to an element’s Catch, you are unable to draw on any furycrafting aspect of that element. This can be particularly disorienting or even painful. The rebate from the limitation has already been applied to the cost of this power.

Furycrafting Refinement [-1]
Description: Experienced furycrafters learn in time how to refine and focus their abilities, gaining greater strength and diversity. You may take this as many times as you like.
Skills Affected: Potentially, all.
Effects:
Refined Furycraft.Refinement is a tool for improving your furycrafting over time. Each time Refinement is taken, choose one option from the following:
  • Add a new element to your furycrafting list. You may also manifest a new fury of the new element.
  • Add one additional fury point to your furycrafting pool.
  • Or, gain two additional specialization bonuses for externalized crafting. You do not have to structure your specialization bonuses according to the “column” limits for skills.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 02:02:59 AM by dragoonbuster »
I'm a blacksmith! Here's some of what I do: https://www.etsy.com/shop/SoCalForge

Offline PirateJack

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2014, 11:39:50 PM »
Nah, those stats are clearly wrong. If ordinary Alerans had those powers, an army of Alerans would be able to kill an equally-sized army of Canim in one round with only minor casualties.

Normal Alerans simply don't have the oomph that Sponsored Magic grants, and I'm pretty sure many of the iconic effects of various elements are only available to the skilled. Like...flying isn't a super-common feat.

Perhaps a Sponsored Ritual type power would be more appropriate then, with full Sponsored Magic for Citizens able to use the more powerful craftings. Sponsored Ritual would be along the lines of being able to use magic at Evocation's speeds/methods, but without weapon ratings. That brings magic down to about the same level as Incite Effect, but still retains the versatility that furycrafting requires, as well as keeping the mental stress that it inflicts.

As for the Canim, the way I see it the regulars are basically a match for your typical Aleran Legionnaire. They'd have Inhuman Str/Spe/Tou, a bunch of creature features, some high powered arbalests and the advantage of numbers. That puts them about even with the physical abilities of your typical earthcrafter, but less powerful than metalcrafters. The warrior caste are rocking Supernatural Strength and Toughness, the best armour and weaponry they can get and a bunch of stunts related to their long lives/training. They're largely a match for the Citizens of Alera in a physical contest, which is why Citizens prefer to burn them to ash.

It's the same reason Wizards are so OP in the Dresden Files, only without the No Killing Mortals thing to distract them.

The fact is though that every single Aleran is able to use furycrafting at least a little bit. Every man has been in the Legion and all Legionnaires are capable of a little furycrafting in every element (known as the Legion basics). This is a world where if the army is looking for powerful magicians to help out in a hurry, they go to the brothels because that's where the most powerful earthcrafters are. Alerans are very powerful individually, which is why all of their still living enemies outnumber them by a significant degree.

Quote from: JoeC
"Why are you banging your head against the wall?
'cause it feels sooooo good when I stop..."

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2014, 02:12:47 AM »
Perhaps a Sponsored Ritual type power would be more appropriate then, with full Sponsored Magic for Citizens able to use the more powerful craftings. Sponsored Ritual would be along the lines of being able to use magic at Evocation's speeds/methods, but without weapon ratings. That brings magic down to about the same level as Incite Effect, but still retains the versatility that furycrafting requires, as well as keeping the mental stress that it inflicts.

You could do that, I guess, but it seems to me that just using Incite Effect is a lot easier than cutting down spellcasting to the level of Incite Effect.

As for the Canim, the way I see it the regulars are basically a match for your typical Aleran Legionnaire. They'd have Inhuman Str/Spe/Tou, a bunch of creature features, some high powered arbalests and the advantage of numbers. That puts them about even with the physical abilities of your typical earthcrafter, but less powerful than metalcrafters. The warrior caste are rocking Supernatural Strength and Toughness, the best armour and weaponry they can get and a bunch of stunts related to their long lives/training. They're largely a match for the Citizens of Alera in a physical contest, which is why Citizens prefer to burn them to ash.

I'm not so sure about Inhuman Speed or Supernatural anything. They run faster than humans, but I don't remember them having better reflexes or acrobatic abilities.

And Supernatural Strength is honestly kind of hard for me to buy on a supposedly-non-magical creature that's smaller than a rhino. Supernatural Strength is enough to carry cars around and tear through stone walls. I guess maybe some of the stronger Canim can do that sort of thing, but it seems like too much for normal warriors.

Something similar goes for Supernatural Toughness. A character with Supernatural Toughness can shrug off gunfire pretty casually.

All that being said, I think Canim probably have pretty good skills and stunts. They live for hundreds of years, right? And the warriors are supposed to be very capable fighters.

Superior Aleran Furycrafting [-5]

Some of what you've done here looks pretty good, but variable spellcasting is tricky to balance.

Also, creating a minion that acts independently is basically a method to get multiple actions. Historically, that's been a real pain in the neck to homebrew.

There's gotta be an easier way to represent furycrafting.

Offline dragoonbuster

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2014, 03:22:44 AM »
Some of what you've done here looks pretty good, but variable spellcasting is tricky to balance.

Thanks.

Since you've got to set aside form points to use it, can only use it in the elements you have access to, and you've got the Limitation on it, it didn't seem too bad. Spending another refresh on adding an element to the power is the same as the cost for do so with evocation (minus the extra specialization, though the extra furies are probably worth more). Plus, you don't get any enchanted items, foci, or potions.

Maybe require specializations to follow the skill pyramid after all. That would help.

Also, creating a minion that acts independently is basically a method to get multiple actions. Historically, that's been a real pain in the neck to homebrew.

Agreed, and I'm not really happy with my mechanic. Thing is, that's what's useful about manifesting a fury, and is exactly why crafters do it a lot of the time--to get another pair of hands, so to speak, or to insulate themselves from a fight a bit more. Since you have to give up some amount of your own power pool refresh temporarily to do it, and you have to worry about the take-out backlash, I was hoping it would balance all right. It could use more drawbacks, at least. Maybe it's skill cap is half the maximum skill cap (rounded up), and reduce the number of skill points given? Maybe it's best to just scrap that and keep the manifestations as another method of performing channeling in combat?

There's gotta be an easier way to represent furycrafting.

I agree. You can do it by just building up specific powers you've "specialized" in and/or taking channeling and/or ritual. Hack 'em together. For a catch-all power...I'm struggling to simplify it more and keep it true to flavor. Maybe starting from something more like Incite Effect as a base would work better.

To answer the original questions about Canim, I think we're going back and forth and not looking at the same Canim. There are Makers, Warriors, Hunter, and Ritualist castes. All adult Canim fall into one of these four things; what constitutes an 'Adult' Canim in terms of age is unclear. So, there's got to be some kind of 'base' template, from which all four of the other castes specialize further. We know the Warriors  are as strong as Knights Terra, faster than Alerans, and can take a real beating. Makers are considered to be very strong due to the manual labor they do. Remember, even the Maker conscripts could shear through a Metalcrafted Aleran steel shield with a rusty farming implement and still have enough force to plunge through a lorica or helmet (Armor:2, most likely). Priests are relatively frail (for Canim) but have access to powerful Blood Magic. Hunters are superspies but otherwise seem to be rather average, physically.

Base Template: -3
- Echoes of the Beast [-1]
- Natural Weaponry: Claws/Fangs [-1]
- Fleet of Foot[-1]

Maker Caste: -5
As above, plus:
- Inhuman Strength [-2]
- Additional crafting stunts to represent experience

Warrior Caste: -7
As above, plus:
- Inhuman Strength [-2]
- No Pain, No Gain [-1]
- Fight as a Pack (+1 to Weapons with swords or balests when in a unit of the same type of fighters) [-1]
- Inhuman Speed, Supernatural Strength, and additional stunts to represent experience

Ritualist Caste: -7
 As above, plus:
- Sponsored Magic: Blood Magic [-4]
- Stunts and refinement to represent experience

Hunter Caste: -4
As above, plus:
- Cloak of Shadows [-1]
- Inhuman Speed and stunts to represent experience

These are for run-of-the-mill NPCs. Varg was a beast, one of the most dangerous creatures on Carna. I could see him easily having Inhuman Toughness, Supernatural Strength, and Inhuman Speed or possibly even Supernatural Speed on top of his many stunts and high skills.
I'm a blacksmith! Here's some of what I do: https://www.etsy.com/shop/SoCalForge

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2014, 04:36:27 AM »
That looks about right to me. Assuming you meant Inhuman Toughness for the warriors when you wrote Inhuman Strength.

I might make the stunts on the warriors a bit more flexible, though. No Pain No Gain is kind of weak and I wouldn't want to have to take it.

Any thoughts on what Blood Magic might look like? It's pretty potent, but the need for blood is a big weakness...

PS: What exactly are balests? I vaguely remember them being crossbow-like, but you have them down as Weapons weapons.
PPS: I don't remember the Hunters at all. So I can't really comment on whether you got them right.

Offline dragoonbuster

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2014, 05:06:43 AM »
That looks about right to me. Assuming you meant Inhuman Toughness for the warriors when you wrote Inhuman Strength.

I might make the stunts on the warriors a bit more flexible, though. No Pain No Gain is kind of weak and I wouldn't want to have to take it.

Any thoughts on what Blood Magic might look like? It's pretty potent, but the need for blood is a big weakness...

PS: What exactly are balests? I vaguely remember them being crossbow-like, but you have them down as Weapons weapons.
PPS: I don't remember the Hunters at all. So I can't really comment on whether you got them right.

I'd say the Warriors could do Inhuman Toughness or Strength, but most would default to strength. They still wear pretty elaborate armor to protect themselves in battle. They were still quite strong in their own right, cleaving Legionnaires nearly in half, etc...plus, see balest description below. No reason the Warrior stunts can't be more flexible, I just thought an extra mild physical consequence represented their toughness better than full-blown Toughness.

Blood Magic...hm. Seems mostly entropy-based, with some weather manipulation thrown in for good measure. The access to blood is something I'm not sure of...If they're following the True Way they're using their own. In which case I'd say the Canim uses physical stress instead of mental, and I'd boost (maybe even double), the power granted to a spell by taking consequences. If they're using other people's blood, I'd say they have a "casting" track equal to their Intimidation or Contacts or Resources or something that they use instead, to represent their access to other people's blood. I guess.

Ah, yeah, Balests should be a "Guns" skill, I guess. They're Canim versions of crossbows, huge, accurate, and powerful. They fire a solid steel bolt half a mile (I believe), and can punch entirely through an armored Legionnaire and still have enough momentum to kill the man behind him. They can fire them in the dark since the Canim have nightvision (might need to tack another refresh onto the template build in that case, since Echoes would let them track by smell). Even powerful earthcrafters have trouble arming one. Since there are really only bows/crossbows, slings, and balests as ranged weapons in Carna IIRC, I'd just slap those with handheld weapons into one skill, I think, and have you choose a specialty weapon for the skill--all others are -1 or -2 to use. That's more in line with how most people seemed to be trained in the books, anyway.

Hunters are the ninjas of the Canim world, basically. We only ever see a few of them. They enforce the spirit of the Code when the letter of it is being taken advantage of. They break the letter of the Code in secret in order to help protect their Rangemaster's honor. They also function as his spies. They didn't seem particularly powerful beyond the Canim physiological advantages, but they were insanely sneaky and very, very deadly with hand to hand weapons. Besides Varg and his elite warriors, they were the scariest Canim to me.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2014, 05:11:54 AM »
I'd say the Warriors could do Inhuman Toughness or Strength, but most would default to strength.

Looking back, I misread. I thought the warriors got the Maker template plus their own, so it seemed like they were getting Strength twice.

Sorry about the confusion.

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2014, 05:26:39 AM »

I agree.

I'd say there's a Basic Furycrafting power that lets you use fury tech (lamps, ovens, roads etc.).

Beyond that, you get specific powers. Bernard would have Supernatural Strength, Incite Effect (which probably covers what the manifested fury does as well as actual manipulation of earth), a variant of Cloak of Shadows that works in vegetated areas rather than darkness, and some power/stunt that improves archery.

Amara would have Wings and Inhuman Speed, with Supernatural Speed under a Limitation that she takes stress when she uses it. Probably Incite Effect too.

I think the very broadest, strongest furycrafters - like the High Lords - do have spellcasting though, (or at least thaumaturgy for large-scale effects - evocation might be redundant with their Incite Effect).