Author Topic: Righteousness Potent Prayer Stacking Question  (Read 1336 times)

Offline Centarion

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Righteousness Potent Prayer Stacking Question
« on: August 14, 2014, 05:33:11 PM »
Hi, I have recently been working on a character based loosely on the Gunslingers from Stephen King's Dark Tower series (I will try to avoid any major plot spoilers, but I may talk about about the background of the world for flavor, so if you don't want to see that stop reading now).

In the books the Gunslingers are servants of the White, and they seem to be guided by this strange sense of direction and purpose called Ka. They also seem to be able to pull off amazing feats by sheer force of will sometimes. This seemed to fit fairly well with the DFRPG true faith powers. Which leads to the meat of my question:

The character I built has Righteousness, and 5 (Superb) conviction. He has Guns and Athletics at 4 (Great), along with what is basically True Aim on his gun Item of Power and Inhuman speed. While Potent Prayer is active, what do I use as his effective skill level for Guns and Athletics? I am inclined to say 6, Conviction complements the 4 to a 5, and then he get the bonus from True Aim or Speed. This interpretation seems good to me since powers are supposed to be allowed to stack. However, one could easily argue that the bonus applies first, and then the skill is the same level as his conviction, so it doesn't complement. What do you guys think?

For reference here is the full write-up on the resources board. This may have slightly more spoilers about the world of the Dark Tower series.

Offline dragoonbuster

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Righteousness Potent Prayer Stacking Question
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 07:34:24 PM »
Nice, going with the Gunslingers! I've put together three or four different versions of them, some as Pure Mortals and some w/ the True Faith powers. I didn't look at the entire build, so barring other issues with that, to answer your question, per pg 214 of YS:

A skill that modifies another skill adds +1 or -1 depending on relative skill levels. One that always reduces the modified skill is said to restrict the main skill, whereas one that always adds to the modified skill is said to compliment the skill.

So, since Righteousness reads as "use your Conviction to compliment," you always at +1 to all skills where that modification w/ Conviction would apply.

So, Guns @ 6 w/ True Aim and Righteousness, Athletics @ 6 w/ Inhuman Speed and Righteousness
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 07:36:10 PM by dragoonbuster »
I'm a blacksmith! Here's some of what I do: https://www.etsy.com/shop/SoCalForge

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
Re: Righteousness Potent Prayer Stacking Question
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 07:46:50 PM »
Your skill is what you've written down in your skill list, everything else are bonuses. So Athletics of four with inhuman speed is still a skill of 4, Conviction 5 is higher, it compliments.

You can get a whole lot of mileage out of that power.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal