Author Topic: Running the Age of Worms Adventure Path using the DFRPG  (Read 1414 times)

Offline RedRobe

• Participant
    • View Profile
Running the Age of Worms Adventure Path using the DFRPG
« on: August 26, 2014, 09:50:24 PM »
So I have run the first adventure of Wizards of the Coast's Age of Worms Adventure Path in a Dresden/Supernatural mash-up world using the d20 Modern rules. However, it didn't have quite the feel that I wanted. I have been studying the DFRPG rules for a few weeks now, and want to take a stab at converting the second module, The Three Faces of Evil. I am looking for advice on how to do so. I don't intend to keep every aspect of the adventure, just the bits that fit DF and Supernatural. For example, I left out the dungeon crawl in The Whispering Cairn, and kept the interaction with the ghost, the confrontation with the local thugs, the exploration of the abandoned observatory and final showdown with the necromancer. I am aiming for an on-the-road type game, so building the "city" is a bit daunting, and I don't know where to start. If any of you fine folks have had any experience with the Age of Worms, or running a DFRPG game that doesn't stay in one city, I would appreciate any advice you might have to offer. Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 03:01:34 PM by RedRobe »

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
Re: Running the Age of Worms Adventure Path using the DFRPG
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 09:59:08 PM »
Is there a reason you left out the dungeon crawl?

Sanctaphrax did a pretty good DFRPG dungeon crawl adventure that I'm planning to use in the future.  I think that style of play can work in this setting with these mechanics...

Offline RedRobe

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 10:07:19 PM »
I left out the dungeon crawl because it didn't really fit the overall feel of a Dresden/Supernatural adventure. Plus there wasn't a very good way to shoehorn a dungeon built by a long lost race into a mining town in modern day New England. If you want to check out my description of how the adventure went down, you can find it at the Paizo message boards under Older Products and then under Age of Worms.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 10:10:56 PM »
Well, a "City" in game terms is just a number of locations that are somewhat connected. By and large, there's not going to be much difference, if you say "you drive half an hour to get to the other side of the town" or "after a day of traveling...". In both cases, you gloss over the exact distance between the two locations. If you have something like the nevernever to travel, things can even be more fluid.

I've never heard of Age of Worms, so I can't say anything specific about that. You might want to look at Fate Core, it's a setting agnostic successor to the Fate rules Dresden Files is based on, and it might be a bit easier to adjust to your needs. It's available for "pay what you want" at the Evil Hat website.

If you want to go with the DFRPG, I suggest you look through the Resource Section. Especially the Custom Power List might help you adjust the DFRPG the way you need it for your game.

If you've got some specific questions, I might be able to be of more help. Until then, good luck. :)
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline RedRobe

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 05:08:50 PM »
Taran, is that dungeon crawl posted somewhere?

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 07:29:09 PM »
Yes...Sanctaphrax would know where it is.

Edit:

http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,34040.0.html

If you're in my Montreal game...I'd prefer you don't read it.  :D   no reason!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 07:31:25 PM by Taran »