Author Topic: Dresden File LARPing  (Read 1766 times)

Offline Crimson Overcoat

• Conversationalist
  • Closet Chronomancer
    • View Profile
Dresden File LARPing
« on: August 13, 2014, 09:01:36 PM »
So I'm working on a LARP for next year's (2015) Gencon, and I'm planning on it being a Dresden Files game, hopefully using the new Dresden Lives! rules. If those aren't ready, I'll wing the mother. Anyway, I was hoping for some thoughts on LARPing the Dresden files with about 25 PCs running the power gamut from a horny Satyr winemaker/follower of Dionysus to an ironkissed pixie mercenary(Aspect: You will fear the name...Dewdrop Sparkle). The plot runs for one night for about six hours of game time. I'm a super experienced con LARP event runner, so the little details about game management don't concern me. What I really need are opinions and ideas on how to bring the full feel of Dresden Files to life.

Offline DanteC

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Dresden File LARPing
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 09:25:20 PM »
One setting I can think of is similar to one of the early books, where Dresden is invited to a party, the one with the Dragon in it.  It's one of the problems with having possibly extremely powerful, or destructive characters around, that they might just decide to kill everyone around them.  There has to be some way to prevent that.  To that end, maybe the party where Dresden is introduced as the Winter Knight?  Cause offense, and you'll be killed on the spot by someone far, far more powerful than you. 

Offline firegazer

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 08:35:38 PM »
Do... do I know you? I mean, in real life? Were you maybe one of my players or STs?

I just ran a 50-person Dresden Files LARP at GenCon. I've got oodles of advice for you, if you want it. PM me and I might even be able to put you in touch with the rest of our existing group. Our player-base is awesome, and we always need more STs.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 08:56:42 PM by firegazer »

Offline Crimson Overcoat

• Conversationalist
  • Closet Chronomancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 09:05:04 PM »
We may have crossed paths. I didn't make it to the con this year, but I've run several games in past years. What system did you use? How did the game turn out?

Offline firegazer

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 05:10:09 AM »
We used the tabletop DFRPG system, actually. We've run a Dresden LARP at GenCon for the past two years now-- last year was 'City of a Thousand Cross-Roads,' while this year was 'City of Abandoned Hope.' Our games were 3 nights in a row, around 50 players each, and the system handled beautifully. Both games have been, hands-down, some of the best games I've ever had the pleasure of running-- a lot of that has to do with how positive and collaborative the FATE system is, and how it encourages good player interaction.

Before I ran DF, I was involved with Darkness Remembered White Wolf LARPs for a number of years, and before that, I spent some time as a player in Dark Duality LARPs-- if you spent any time with either group, we may have crossed paths.