Author Topic: New Templates  (Read 1545 times)

Offline Baron Hazard

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
New Templates
« on: July 28, 2014, 12:23:18 AM »
My current character created a supernatural type that I liked and figured i'd offer a template to those that would like to use it. (I started the same thread in the resources, but realized after that I wasnt supposed to start a thread there :X Asked for it to be deleted!) Please lemme know what you think and post your own! :)

SENTINEL
What is a Sentinel: Sentinels are Shapeshifting defenders of nature, they communicate with animals and act as a protector to animals and wild places against the encroaching humanity and developments.

What powers a Sentinel? A Sentinel is a sentinel from birth, and what factors play into it: whether it is genetics, some sort of force or power choosing candidates or some other method is unknown. What is known is that a prospective Sentinel usually grows up with an unswerving interest in animals and nature that general leads them into related fields. Often the Sentinels powers awaken when involved in a stressful animal-related event, a perspective Sentinel can go through life never having their powers awaken (and in this day and age, many do.) Those that follow the traditions of the Sentinel (if you can find them, as such individuals are exceptionally rare), refer to their source of powers as the 'Primal Wellspring.' It is important to know that this power source has no concious agenda and, once awakened, a Sentinel has access to their powers whether they uphold the 'Agenda' of the Primal Wellspring or not, (Though, the power itself helps mold them into the type of people that would uphold the Agenda.)

Historically? Some speak of Sentinels that existing during the times of Pre-history, at the time, these Sentinels most likely stood as mediators between the Child of Man and the Child of Beast, though the difference between the two was less pronounced as it is now. It is likely there were far fewer Sentinels at the time, and it is also possible that these Sentinels gave rise to many of the Shamanic traditions later in cultures.

As the March of Time continued on, the Child of Man moved farther and farther away from the Child of Beast, they began to try to master nature as opposed to live with it, an ever widening schism developed, and the Sentinels became less mediators and more guardians, soldiers in a war against the destruction of wild places and those that lived within them. It was during this period of rapid advancement and growth that we saw the most sentinels active at any time.

Eventually it became obvious that the Sentinels lost, much of this may have been with the help of the White Council and the Vampire Courts, and now in an era where nature is few and far between, and animals grow less and less common, awakened Senntinels have become more rare.

The Oath of the Sentinel. At some point in the distant past, A large portion of Sentinels began following an Oath, where this Oath originated is unknown to most if not any these days, but most assume a powerful and influential Sentinel developed the oath as he trained more of his people.
  • Seek balance between the Children of Man and the Children of Beast.
  • When threatened, you speak and stand for the Children of Beast and their Wild Places, the Children of Man have no end to those that stand for them.
  • Act in respect with the Children of Man, act in your duty, but do not needlessly provoke the Child of Man.
  • A Sentinel's conduct reflect on us all, do not dishonor our birthright in your actions.

Powers:
[-1] Animal Speaker
[-4] True Shapeshifting
[+1] Beast only
[+1] Human form affecting:
[-3] Modular abilities (Minimum [-4] or [-5] Suggested)
[+0] Modular Stunts
[+0] Wizard's Constitution
Base Refresh Cost: 6 (suggested 7 or 8)

TRUE SHAPESHIFTING Found in YS 177
Beast Only [+2]
Note: Discuss this cost with your GM, they may decide +1 is a more appropriate refresh refund.
Using your shapeshifting you can only assume the forms of natural animals, and they have to be animals you have seen. You can not assume the form of an inanimate object, nor can you assume the form of a human other than your natural appearance, and you most certainly cannot impersonate a person. You can't even impersonate a specific animal, though you can get damned close and most humans don't know the difference anyway.

MODULAR ABILITIES Found in YS 177
Modular Stunts [+0]
Your modular power points can be spent on buying stunts as well as supernatural powers, provided these stunts are in theme with your power and your GM approves them.

ANIMAL SPEAKER [-1]
Skills Affected: Social
Known by animals. Animals notice you for what you are, they recognize you on some instinctual level and will readily come forward and contact you. This means animals will sense and find you more easily than other people, when all factors are equal. Animals get a +2 when trying to perceive or locate you.
Speak to Animals. You can speak and otherwise communicate directly with animals, without any need to perform thaumaturgy.
Seek the Beast. Animals seek you out, and it goes the other way as well – enough that you may use contacts to seek out information among animals. This is of course limited by what the animal has seen and can comprehend.

SOME BASIC SENTINEL NPC'S
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 03:25:51 AM by Baron Hazard »

Offline Baron Hazard

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: New Templates
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 12:25:06 AM »
[saved for updates]

Offline Baron Hazard

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 12:25:48 AM »
[saved for updates]

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 02:58:46 AM »
Backstory looks good apart from a few typos.

As for the Powers:

Beast Only is definitely not worth +2...the skill-shuffling effect of True Shapeshifting is really powerful, and Beast Only doesn't seem to affect it at all.

I'd be careful about everything involving True Shapeshifting. IIRC the book advises against making it available to PCs, and there's a reason for that. That's not to say you shouldn't use it, though. Book's just a book.

Dunno whether Modular Stunts is really necessary. I let people take stunts with Modular Abilities normally.

Animal Speaker looks fine, though the reference to thaumaturgy is a bit out of place. I'd be tempted to have it give a bonus to animal-handling rolls, but that might be giving it too many bonuses for 1 Refresh.

Anyway, here's a relevant link.

Offline Baron Hazard

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 03:12:31 AM »
Thanks, Sanctaphrax!

So originally i asked if a +1 would be worth it, kind of assuming a +1 or nothing as a rebate (for my character), some comments from another player somehow swayed a +2 from the GM and I didnt complain xP But I agree, that said: You do lose abit, the ability to shapeshift into inanimate object seemed almost like an "I win" stealth/hide roll "unless you are "doing something out of character for the object" and I feel like someone with true shapeshifting could probably use a roll to mimic someone specific, which this also disallows. But I do generally agree on your analysis that +2 is too much xD

Modular Stunts: I also allowed people to take stunts with Modular abilities, but upon checking the book i realized it didnt allow it expressly, so i figured i'd make sure it was obvious to groups that hadn't considered it.

Animal Speaker: is just reskinned Ghost Speaker, as for the bit about thaumaturgy (besides being part of the ghost speaker text xD) I assume thered be a ritual to communicate with animals.

Also thanks for the link! I checked the resource board and didnt see it, I prolly should have searched the greater boards!

Again, thanks for looking and your comments, i appreciate the feedback!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 03:22:03 AM by Baron Hazard »