Author Topic: Modular abilities and base form?  (Read 1460 times)

Offline JustinS

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Modular abilities and base form?
« on: July 29, 2014, 05:19:10 AM »
In the game I'm currently in, someone just got offered the change to pick up beast change for a formerly pure mortal character.

It was suggested that Beast Form and Modular Abilities be used, where the form points are spent on animal appropriate powers for the specific animal form, and be spent on the character's old stunts when in human form.

It was counter argued that form points are supposed to only be spent on forms generated from shifting, and may generally not be spent on stunts (and the character should instead take human form, and trim back their stunt list).

Any thoughts on if this should work or not?

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
Re: Modular abilities and base form?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 09:33:08 AM »
Given that stunts are almost always inferior to competing powers, I see little reason why (some) stunts could not be rolled into Modular Abilities if a convincing thematics argument could be made for why the benefit would be lost (not merely rendered superfluous) in the alternate form.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 11:19:20 AM »
It's similar to what I did with one of my characters, he can shift into 2 different animals, and the powers for the animal forms are switched with modular abilities. Or rather "Quasi" modular, an adaptation from this board, that only allows you to switch between two sets of powers.
https://dfrpg-ww2.obsidianportal.com/characters/nikolaj

That said, I feel like doing it for your stunts in human form is sort of an "have your cake and eat it too" thing. You either dedicate part of your refresh to the beast powers (even if it's for multiple beasts like above), or you dedicate them to the human side. Otherwise you could, for example, take modular abilities for a wizard and have magic + tons of stunts, depending on what you switch out.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 11:57:02 AM »
Part of the point of human Form (if you're taking it) is to lose access to your powers.

If he's not taking 'human form' and having 2 forms: 1 human and 1 'beast', then I don't see why he couldn't shuffle them around and take stunts. 

Modular abilities has a 2 refresh sur-charge so it doesn't feel optimal to me.  I'd much rather go with human form and beast change and use the extra 3 refresh for those stunts I'd want.

If their base-form can shift powers, it doesn't sound like they are mortal that can shift into a beast, it sounds more like they are some kind of doppelganger since their base-form is now malleable.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 07:11:43 PM »
I let people take stunts with Modular Abilities. But not all stunts. Like...a +2 bonus to lifting heavy things is fine. A +2 bonus to Contacts among criminals is not.

So if I were GMing, my answer would depend on what stunts the player had.

PS: If you've got issues with the vagueness of Modular Abilities, you should probably check out the Variable Abilities Power on the wiki.

Offline Baron Hazard

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 07:19:27 PM »
Also if the person doesn't have modular ability tied to his human form, then it would not be limited to his shapeshifting, effects. And at that point it would be up to the Gm to approve what stunts/powers are available through modular abilities based on the narrative.