Author Topic: the laws of magic  (Read 6619 times)

Offline MijRai

• Posty McPostington
  • "For my next trick, anvils."
    • View Profile
Re: the laws of magic
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2014, 11:22:35 PM »
As far as the Third and Sixth Laws go, it's important to look at the wording. 

For the Third Law, the verb is invade.  Pretty big negative connotations right there, it implies breaking in, violating it, etc.  It also shows why some mental magic is allowed, or how one can give a person permission to go on in. 

For the Sixth Law, if I remember the wording, it's something along the lines of 'not swim against the currents of time'.  Peeking your head up and catching a glimpse is one thing, actively trying to travel through time is another.  It would also explain why folks with talents for prophecy (such as Cassandra's Tears) aren't hunted down for it. 
Don't make me drop a turkey on you...

DV MijRai v1.2 YR 1 FR 1 BK+++ JB+ TH++ !WG CL SW BC+ RP++++ MC+++ SHMolly++;Murphy+

Offline Jreafman

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2014, 01:22:40 AM »
As far as the Third and Sixth Laws go, it's important to look at the wording. 

For the Third Law, the verb is invade.  Pretty big negative connotations right there, it implies breaking in, violating it, etc.  It also shows why some mental magic is allowed, or how one can give a person permission to go on in. 

For the Sixth Law, if I remember the wording, it's something along the lines of 'not swim against the currents of time'.  Peeking your head up and catching a glimpse is one thing, actively trying to travel through time is another.  It would also explain why folks with talents for prophecy (such as Cassandra's Tears) aren't hunted down for it.

I'd agree here, and point out that you're dealing with Wizards. Wizards who have had to work out contracts with Faeries. Wording and "the letter of the law" are paramount.

As far as the mucking that the original Merlin did...
(click to show/hide)

On a more practical note about the 6th law, I think it's a law they would enforce because they want to keep the universe from having to enforce it. After all, no one really knows what happens if you travel back in time to kill your own grandfather. The universe might decide to divide by zero, and kablooey. No one wants the universe to start enforcing those kinds of laws.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2014, 02:53:22 AM »
The in-game mechanical effect of first (killing), second (no transforming), fourth (no enthralling) are likely mechanically enforced by the Power that entities like angels, the Knights, etc serve, and the extra power is a form of sponsored push by the kinds of folks who power the Denarians, at least two of the vampire courts and ghouls.

I doubt there's a real enforcer, personally. I think the Laws are meant to be a natural process...a sort of metaphysical gravity.

That aside, welcome to the board.