Author Topic: sponsored magic  (Read 6886 times)

Offline Exkramental

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: sponsored magic
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2014, 10:13:45 PM »
So if i get this right.   

Mr. Random meet Mab on the street, she slaps winterfae magic on him,

so mr. random now powered by winter,  seelie -4 magic, he can cast spells for debt yes, but can he cast spells from hs own strees aswell,?

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2014, 10:21:04 PM »
Sponsored magic works just the same as regular magic. You don't have to take debt for every spell you cast. You can cast spells just like you do with regular evocation and thaumaturgy, just in the theme of the sponsor, and you take casting stress like any regular caster would.

But if you are tapped out and need to get another spell out, you can ask your sponsor to take the casting stress for you, so you don't take the stress, but sponsor debt instead. Or if you need to get a big spell out, you can ask your sponsor to turbocharge it and incur debt for it as well.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Blk4ce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2014, 10:31:46 PM »
How does turbocharge work? It doesn't specify in the rules.

Offline Cadd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2014, 10:36:03 PM »
It's just invoking an aspect, but you gain 1 point of debt instead of spending a FP.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2014, 11:09:58 PM »
Yeah, as Cadd says.

But you can also just cast a spell that's, for example, 4 shifts over your discipline and conviction, which would mean that you'd have to take high amounts of casting stress and backlash to get the spell off the ground, but instead, you ask your sponsor to take that instead. The general rate is 2 shifts of stress for 1 point of debt, just like invoking fate points, though you could just as well bargain that your sponsor takes the entirety of the spell for 1 point of debt. That's up to how your table likes to deal with this.

Offline potestas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2014, 11:28:51 PM »
Yeah, as Cadd says.

But you can also just cast a spell that's, for example, 4 shifts over your discipline and conviction, which would mean that you'd have to take high amounts of casting stress and backlash to get the spell off the ground, but instead, you ask your sponsor to take that instead. The general rate is 2 shifts of stress for 1 point of debt, just like invoking fate points, though you could just as well bargain that your sponsor takes the entirety of the spell for 1 point of debt. That's up to how your table likes to deal with this.
this where it gets a bit op imo.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2014, 11:34:20 PM »
It still has to be agreed upon by the table. And if the table has fun letting the character level a skyscraper with 1 point of sponsor debt, I'm not going to stand in the way.

If it is used in a GM vs. Players sort of way, then I agree, it can be overpowered. That's why talking about how you want to handle the sponsor debt on your table is important.

Offline Blk4ce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2014, 05:28:27 AM »
The situation GM vs Players is wrong by default.

Offline PirateJack

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2014, 06:10:06 AM »

If I were to let a player get away with one point of sponsor debt like that I'd make sure that when it comes to paying it back that they're going to suffer for it regret it begin to rethink their decision to give up some free will for power. The way I've always looked at Sponsor Debt is that the more you take out, the more you have to pay at the end (from a narrative point of view), so if a newly minted Winter Knight were to level a skyscraper with one spell I'd have Mab then show up and order him to do something that is both interesting and very, very dangerous. Ain't no such thing as a free lunch, especially when you're a Faerie Queen's bitch Knight.
Quote from: JoeC
"Why are you banging your head against the wall?
'cause it feels sooooo good when I stop..."

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2014, 10:59:47 AM »
The situation GM vs Players is wrong by default.
True, but a lot of people are primed like that from other games. Including myself, I had to unlearn a few things as well.

Offline potestas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2014, 02:31:28 AM »
If I were to let a player get away with one point of sponsor debt like that I'd make sure that when it comes to paying it back that they're going to suffer for it regret it begin to rethink their decision to give up some free will for power. The way I've always looked at Sponsor Debt is that the more you take out, the more you have to pay at the end (from a narrative point of view), so if a newly minted Winter Knight were to level a skyscraper with one spell I'd have Mab then show up and order him to do something that is both interesting and very, very dangerous. Ain't no such thing as a free lunch, especially when you're a Faerie Queen's bitch Knight.m
that only applies to sponsored magic not the self sponsored kind no such limitation with self sposored magic

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2014, 03:06:47 AM »
No, the same thing applies to the self-sponsored stuff. Debt is bad to have.

Offline potestas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2014, 04:33:02 PM »
No, the same thing applies to the self-sponsored stuff. Debt is bad to have.
in theory but notin in practice.

Offline PirateJack

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2014, 04:35:03 PM »
in theory but notin in practice.

As long as you're getting compelled the debt mechanic is doing what it's supposed to do.
Quote from: JoeC
"Why are you banging your head against the wall?
'cause it feels sooooo good when I stop..."

Offline potestas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2014, 08:46:14 PM »
As long as you're getting compelled the debt mechanic is doing what it's supposed to do.
Who does the compeling