Author Topic: Warden's sword question  (Read 1680 times)

Offline blackstaff67

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Warden's sword question
« on: July 23, 2014, 12:21:50 PM »
I had been thinking about making a Warden when I was looking at the DFRPG Resource page on wikispaces when I noted the new version of Warden's Sword.  Could you explain what "Might over Magic" means, as I thought I searched it well and truly without finding any definition of it (and why the power--not the sword--is worth -2 Refresh).  And my apologies if this has been covered elsewhere.
My Purity score: 37.2.  Sad.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Warden's sword question
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 02:46:58 PM »
I think this is the most recent version.

MIGHT OVER MAGIC [-2]
Description: You can shatter magical effects through physical force.
Skills Affected: Might, Fists, Weapons.
Effects:
Disruptive Strikes. You destroy ongoing spells by hitting them. Doing so requires you to roll your Might skill plus the weapon rating of your melee attacks (including Strength bonuses) against a difficulty equal to the spell's strength or complexity. If you succeed, the spell ends.
Parry Magic. You may use your Might skill plus half of any stress bonus you have from Strength Powers in place of your Athletics skill to defend against magical attacks and maneuvers.
Anti-Magic Attacks. You may use Fists in place of Might with this Power, but you receive no benefit from weapons while doing so unless you can wield them with Fists. You may also use Weapons in place of Might with this Power, but only if you are armed with a weapon suitable for use with Weapons.
Skill Over Magic [-0]. When you use your Might (or Fists, or Weapons) skill to defend against a magical attack with multiple targets, you may allow any number of other characters targeted by the same effect to use your defence roll in place of their own. However, you do not benefit from Strength or weapon ratings when using this Power.
Living Counterspell [-1]. When you use your Might (or Fists, or Weapons) skill to defend against a magical attack with multiple targets, you may allow any number of other characters targeted by the same effect to use your defence roll in place of their own.
Superior Might Over Magic [-2]. Add four to your Might (or Fists, or Weapons) skill when using it with this Power.

It used to be on the wiki, but IIRC the author asked for it to be removed.

Offline Jreafman

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 03:00:40 PM »
The second part of your question, about the refresh, is an easy one. IoPs have a refresh refund since there are certain disadvantages to IoPs, like that they can be lost, or taken away, and you have to worry about concealing them, etcetc. In the case of the warden sword the refresh breaks down like this....

[-0] Specific Wielder. A Warden Sword is only magical in the hands of the Warden it was made for.
[-0] Unbreakable. As an Item of Power, this item cannot be broken except with a magical ritual that opposes its nature.
[-1] It Is What It Is. It's a supernaturally sharp sword. Weapon 5 for the rightful bearer, weapon 3 for other people.
[-2] Might Over Magic. A Warden Sword can cut magical spells the way a laser cuts butter.
[+2] One-Time Discount. A full-sized sword is tricky to conceal at best.

So you've got -3 refresh worth of powers, and then +2 refunded for the One-Time Discount, total of -1 for the sword.

Offline bobjob

• Posty McPostington
  • Bier, ja? Und mit Dusen-Dusen? Ja!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 03:10:30 PM »
I think this is the most recent version.

MIGHT OVER MAGIC [-2]
Description: You can shatter magical effects through physical force.
Skills Affected: Might, Fists, Weapons.
Effects:
Disruptive Strikes. You destroy ongoing spells by hitting them. Doing so requires you to roll your Might skill plus the weapon rating of your melee attacks (including Strength bonuses) against a difficulty equal to the spell's strength or complexity. If you succeed, the spell ends.
Parry Magic. You may use your Might skill plus half of any stress bonus you have from Strength Powers in place of your Athletics skill to defend against magical attacks and maneuvers.
Anti-Magic Attacks. You may use Fists in place of Might with this Power, but you receive no benefit from weapons while doing so unless you can wield them with Fists. You may also use Weapons in place of Might with this Power, but only if you are armed with a weapon suitable for use with Weapons.
Skill Over Magic [-0]. When you use your Might (or Fists, or Weapons) skill to defend against a magical attack with multiple targets, you may allow any number of other characters targeted by the same effect to use your defence roll in place of their own. However, you do not benefit from Strength or weapon ratings when using this Power.
Living Counterspell [-1]. When you use your Might (or Fists, or Weapons) skill to defend against a magical attack with multiple targets, you may allow any number of other characters targeted by the same effect to use your defence roll in place of their own.
Superior Might Over Magic [-2]. Add four to your Might (or Fists, or Weapons) skill when using it with this Power.

It used to be on the wiki, but IIRC the author asked for it to be removed.

Damn shame. I rather like it. I'm a huge fan of the wiki and use it all the time.
The entire Red Court was taken down by the new Winter Knight? From the lowliest pawn all the way up to the King? *puts on sunglasses* Knight to G7. Check mate.

Playing:
Shale Buckby

Offline blackstaff67

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 05:17:00 PM »
Thanks folks for clearing that up.
My Purity score: 37.2.  Sad.