Author Topic: Druidry in the Dresden-verse (ala Iron Druid style)  (Read 3380 times)

Offline Locnil

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Druidry in the Dresden-verse (ala Iron Druid style)
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2014, 03:11:46 PM »
Btw, if you really want to focus on the "store magic for later use" thing, you can also make it an IoP giving the custom stunt Deep Reserves, giving you two mental consequences for the purpose of taking spellcasting stress. Or, a custom power giving you extra mental stress boxes, if your GM allows that. Or, if the whole "cannot cast spells unless on earth" is treated as a rebate power, the Refresh can be used to buy it off, with running out of magic being treated a a compel.

I wouldn't use True Shapeshifting for the four forms, since TS lets you transform into whatever you want. I'd handle it as a [-2]Variable Abilities surcharge (as per the DFRPG wiki) giving access to four powersets, each including a different type of Beast Change and maybe Wings or Aquatic or some other appropriate Creature Feature.

Soulcatcher: You could handle it as per the Undying power on the DFRPG wiki. Combine with a healing spell or a Recovery power.

Not sure where the vampire charm is from, but it could be a straightforward attack item. Maybe a compel where it could be useful but there are no vampires. Or, with a permissive GM, a ruling that the charm could satisfy the Catch of vampires in exchange for being only usable on vampires.

The real problem is the iron charm. There's a thread recently about Immunity to Magic and its problems; I'll suggest looking it up. Belial666 offered an interesting (but expensive) way to model the immunity part IIRC. Also, the whole "some kinds of magic are not defended against" is perfect for a compel. The cold iron aura I'd handle as per Holy Touch, but for cold iron instead of holy. Burning or destroying faeries would be treated as a Fists attack or a invocation of his High Concept, depending on the situation.

As for the rest, looks good. ;D

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2014, 06:05:07 PM »
I agree that the cold iron aura is a version of Holy Touch that applies to fae instead of 'unholy' beings. It can also erode other magic, but this a slow process and I think can be handled by his "Iron Druid" High Concept when it (rarely) comes up.

The immunity is just a matter of what his Physical Immunity catch is. It covers all direct magic, like curses and any thaumaturgy targeted at him,  but magic that would harm him indirectly isn't necessarily blocked -- to avoid the enchantment on Odin's spear to make it hit whatever it's thrown at, he has to shift shape so that the target "doesn't exist" anymore.

Some of his charms are just rote spells, IMO, while others are better modeled as enchanted items. The unbinding vampires is an attack evocation (that satisfies the Catch of IronDruidverse vampires). I agree that faerie specs is well represented by the anti-faerie glamour ointment.

EDIT: removed repetition of unbind vampires/faerie specs

Offline Mojosilver

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2014, 02:02:07 PM »
Thanks for the ideas.