Author Topic: Show the Best of your Worst Writing  (Read 7227 times)

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
  • Better Red than dead...
    • View Profile
    • elizabethkwadsworth.com
Re: Show the Best of your Worst Writing
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2007, 02:33:08 PM »
OK, how's this:

"Moonlight, deflected from the crescent orb that floated weightlessly like a tiny ship lost in the vast inky ocean that is space, glinted off jeweled harness, illuminated pale, stern faces 'neath steel helmets, and washed feebly o'er the nametags fixed firmly to each mailed breast; Cliche, Purple Prose, Bad Sequel, and Plagiarism put spurs to their mighty steeds and reared up as one, bellowing a battle-cry that no mortal ear could hear, as the Four Horsemen Of The Literary Apocalypse galloped, silent and unheeded, through the deserted library, and the one who is called Daytime Television rode with them."
"Make good art." -Neil Gaiman
"Or failing that, entertaining trash." -Me
http://www.elizabethkwadsworth.com

Offline Yeratel

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2007, 07:15:50 PM »
"Moonlight, deflected from the crescent orb that floated weightlessly like a tiny ship lost in the vast inky ocean that is space, glinted off jeweled harness, illuminated pale, stern faces 'neath steel helmets, and washed feebly o'er the nametags fixed firmly to each mailed breast; Cliche, Purple Prose, Bad Sequel, and Plagiarism put spurs to their mighty steeds and reared up as one, bellowing a battle-cry that no mortal ear could hear, as the Four Horsemen Of The Literary Apocalypse galloped, silent and unheeded, through the deserted library, and the one who is called Daytime Television rode with them."
As they round the turn at Self Help Books going into the back stretch, Purple Prose leads Cliche by a nose, with Daytime TV coming up fast on the outside.
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. " -RAH

Offline Josh

• Participant
  • Scriptor dementis
    • View Profile
    • Through a glass, darkly
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2007, 02:04:15 PM »
So where's fan fiction's horse?
JRVogt.com
The Fiction Writer's Virtual Toolbox - 150+ links to tools and resources for writers
Follow on Twitter @JRVogt

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2007, 05:26:10 PM »
R U kidding?  Fan-Fic would be in the bar out of the rain & sleet, having a brew and watching the action on the big screen tv!   Belly up to the bar...  Northern Dancer's Secretariat Cigar.  Horse butts passing methane regularly to sweeten the atmosphere and having a RPG game going on the side!   :D :D :D
« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 05:28:11 PM by meg_evonne »
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline Antimatter Girl

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2007, 08:48:50 AM »
The sad thing is, I am genuinely curious as to how most of these stories would develop o.O

Either I am amused entirely too easily, or some of these are so bad that they're really, in fact, good ^.^

Hooray for camp!

Offline konstantine23

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2007, 05:41:47 AM »
I won't contribute, but please keep this up. It seriously made my whole friggin day fun.  ;D . Seriously. The Whole. Friggin. Day.
~*...Make Awkward Sexual Advances....Not War...*~
~*...This is the correlation of salvation and love. Don’t drop your arms, I’ll guard your heart. With quiet words I'll lead you in...*~

Offline Josh

• Participant
  • Scriptor dementis
    • View Profile
    • Through a glass, darkly
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2007, 01:04:35 PM »
I'm going to post a worst-written line that I heard read at a conference...I don't remember who originally wrote it, otherwise I'd give credit...

"His muscles bulged and twitched like a hoard of hamsters all humping one another beneath a tightly stretched canvas."

And there you have it.
JRVogt.com
The Fiction Writer's Virtual Toolbox - 150+ links to tools and resources for writers
Follow on Twitter @JRVogt

Offline King of De Nile

• Conversationalist
  • Are your feet wet? And can you see the pyramids?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2007, 01:53:23 PM »
Of course, for really, truly bad writing, there's no topping "The Eye of Argon." Any story that can consistently have you read a sentence and still have no idea what it's saying is gold in the "Best of the Worst" category.
Our garden was debated territory between five local cats, and we'd heard that the best way to keep other cats out of the garden was to have one yourself. A moment's rational thought here will spot the slight flaw in this reasoning.      --Terry Pratchett

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
  • Better Red than dead...
    • View Profile
    • elizabethkwadsworth.com
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2007, 02:35:03 PM »
Here's a link to The Eye of Argon if anyone wants to take a look:
http://www-users.cs.york.ac.uk/~susan/sf/eyeargon/eyeargon.htm
It truly is a "classic".

I believe the hamster line was a runner-up in the Bulwer-Lytton contest (no idea what year, though.)
"Make good art." -Neil Gaiman
"Or failing that, entertaining trash." -Me
http://www.elizabethkwadsworth.com

Offline Yeratel

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2007, 03:18:20 AM »
If you grew up learning good writing habits, striving for clarity and conciseness, and following The Elements of Style, then it's hard to throw it all out the window and write bad without a deliberate effort.
The defenestration of good style, good taste, good grammar, good spelling, and good sense just comes naturally to some folks, though, as illustrated by many examples posted on the various fanfic web sites. There may be the occasional nugget in there someplace, but it's unfortunately hidden in a vast slush pile of mostly adolescent drivvel. The Eye of Argon is definitely a gold nugget.
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. " -RAH

Offline Antimatter Girl

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2007, 09:14:31 PM »
I'm going to post a worst-written line that I heard read at a conference...I don't remember who originally wrote it, otherwise I'd give credit...

"His muscles bulged and twitched like a hoard of hamsters all humping one another beneath a tightly stretched canvas."

And there you have it.

Now, see, I don't see that as bad writing. I see that as well-crafted cheese, extremely vivid and horrendously ludicrous all at the same time. It took a sick and twisted imagination to come up with that metaphor ^.^

The Eye of Argon, however, from what little I could manage to read, is bad. It isn't funny, or clever, just tedious.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 09:19:33 PM by Antimatter Girl »