Author Topic: Secret to Succes?  (Read 4653 times)

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
Re: Secret to Succes?
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2014, 05:48:31 AM »
One thing hasn't been mentioned. Jim says that you don't have to be the best writer out there; you just have to out last the guy beside you. It takes time.

Don't overlook that every author struggles with this question. You are not alone. Go to conferences. Many of the writing sessions are designed to offer solutions to this very question. While you are there, you'll learn other stuff for your tool box. Your writing will improve. You'll meet people. You'll find a sharing community.

Perhaps you don't know that Jim's twitter handle and nickname is Longshot? There's a reason! He knew getting his work published was a longshot.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 05:58:53 AM by meg_evonne »
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline djerf

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Secret to Succes?
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2014, 12:17:53 AM »
When considering to buy a book there's math, if Price + Time =< Quality then you might buy the book, otherwise you won't. When trying out a new author the quality is unknown and so there's a risk that the book will be so bad that you end up reading it for no more then five minutes before you have to stop, this risk is even greater with books that are self published
What I do when I'm bored is that I go into the free section of Google Play Books and pick something at random and if I like what I'm reading I'll buy the sequel.
That's my advice, If you write good stuff give the first one for free, charge 0.99 for the second and once you get good reviews on things people have to pay for I think you will see a solid increase in readers. For this a short story might work well.

This is actually how I found out about and started reading Sanderson, him giving away Warbreaker for free, which led me to Rothfuss which in turn led me to Butcher, funny how things work out huh?