Author Topic: Favorite Words?  (Read 16033 times)

Offline novium

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Words?
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2006, 07:39:02 PM »
for a written word, i like 'abides'. such a good word, so much subtle nuance.  For me, randomly, it is associated with the sea as it caresses the beach. rising up, subsiding, abiding... perhaps I should say I like it for its poetic connotations.
but in general, I love latin-derived words. their subtle flavors of meaning.
for a word to say...hmm..well, there are many, but how about delicatessen? (good german word)...it rolls and is nice and crisp.
sed tamen ira procul absit, cum qua nihil recte fieri, nihil considerate potest.

In anger nothing right nor judicious can be done.

Offline Valiar Marcus

• Conversationalist
  • Don't mess with my man Harry, dig?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2006, 07:53:28 PM »
über is my current favourite word, I have changed it slightly to überly as it rolls of the tongue better in my opinion. 'That is über good.' or 'That is überly good.'
Of course, technically 'über' is only a prefix, not an actual word.  Not saying I've never used it that way, nor that I will not in the future.  Just stating the fact. ;)

Hrm, as for the topic, I guess my favorite word should be 'pedantic'. :D
Chad Mitchell

"Doctors can always bury their mistakes. Architects can only advise their client to plant vines." - Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Darla

• Conversationalist
  • Charter member Bookstore Commandos
    • View Profile
    • Nichtszusagen
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2006, 09:26:21 PM »

Of course, technically 'über' is only a prefix, not an actual word.  Not saying I've never used it that way, nor that I will not in the future.  Just stating the fact. ;)

Sure it's an actual word.  In German, at least.  It means over.  ;) 
Darla 
Currently reading Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson

I think animal testing is a terrible idea; they get all nervous and give the wrong answers. — A Bit of Fry and Laurie

Offline novium

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2006, 09:51:48 PM »
to continue in good pendantic fashion:
über is many things, including an accusative preposition. But to see a list of its full meaning:
http://dict.leo.org/ende?lp=ende&lang=de&searchLoc=0&cmpType=relaxed&sectHdr=on&spellToler=on&search=%FCber&relink=on

do I win? :-P

sed tamen ira procul absit, cum qua nihil recte fieri, nihil considerate potest.

Offline Valiar Marcus

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2006, 05:37:55 AM »

Consider me well and truly chastised.  I do know what it means, but my command of German was barely conversational as of 15 years ago, and now is much much less than that. ;)
Chad Mitchell

"Doctors can always bury their mistakes. Architects can only advise their client to plant vines." - Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline BelleMorte

• Participant
  • Won't you come and dance with the Beautiful Death?
    • View Profile
    • Vampie
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2006, 01:03:31 PM »
As for me… well I do like to have fun with this short sentence…. “Ouate de phoque” .

These words are French, yet in that order they mean nothing!!!.. why?… because the word “ouate” mean “cottonball”, “de” mean “the”, and “phoque” is a “seal”… yet the fun is with the pronunciation….

Let me show you how to pronounce it, you’ll see it’s…  very, very simple….

Ouate de phoque
What the fuck
Slipping amongst the shadows, flitting between dark places, always quiet......

Offline neminem

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2006, 06:48:51 PM »
Yeah, and in math jargon, "onto" is an adjective.

What it meant in German is really of little importance to English-speakers. In English, it came here as a prefix. Every once in a while, though, *fixes become full-fledged syntactic words, as appears to be happening with uber.

Uber is a good lexeme, anyway, though I'm far fonder of it in prefix form than word form.

As for BelleMorte's post - my favorite word in another language has got to be the Latin word "facio" - translates, "I do". The c is hard, by the way.
Then there's "fac", the imperative form, as well as "facit", "he did".
« Last Edit: July 06, 2006, 06:51:10 PM by neminem »

Offline novium

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2006, 08:26:25 PM »
I like cachinnare. it looks and sounds like a cackle.

Offline Darla

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Nichtszusagen
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2006, 07:11:29 PM »
Consider me well and truly chastised.  I do know what it means, but my command of German was barely conversational as of 15 years ago, and now is much much less than that. ;)

Heh.  Not chastised.  I'm just being a smartass.  ;)   Heck, I've got to have something to show for 12 years (so far) in Germany besides a taste for Jacob's Kroenung coffee and Broetchen with Nutella.  And a lead foot.
Darla 

I think animal testing is a terrible idea; they get all nervous and give the wrong answers. — A Bit of Fry and Laurie

Offline Valiar Marcus

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2006, 06:25:08 AM »
Consider me well and truly chastised. ...
Heh.  Not chastised.  I'm just being a smartass.  ;)   
Well, color me shocked!  ;D
Chad Mitchell

Offline novium

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2006, 06:49:09 AM »
oh, no way, that is so cool, what part of germany are you in?
Heck, I've got to have something to show for 12 years (so far) in Germany besides a taste for Jacob's Kroenung coffee and Broetchen with Nutella.  And a lead foot.

Offline harryismyhero

• Participant
  • Oh, how true this is...of ME... ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2006, 06:42:19 AM »
"Fromage" ("cheese" in French) has always made me giggle, as well as various parts of the male and female anatomy, particularly "gonads". (What? Women are completely allowed to have dirty, toilet-humored minds, too, ya know.) ;)

"Freaking" is a great alternative to the f-bomb. "Rune" is just a cool-sounding word, as is "sussuration," "fireball," "fae," "warden," "paralyze," "jasmine," and "enchantment". "Saccharine" is a nifty, different way of saying "sweet". And I really like "mote," as in a mote of light.

I've probably got a bunch more, but it's too late at night (or should I say too early in the morning) for me to remember them.
"Hi, I'm Stephanie, and I'm a Dresdenaholic who thinks 'polka will never die.'"

"Do you know what a semiconductor is?"
"A guy that works part-time on a train?"
"...Never mind."

Offline becroberts

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2006, 10:36:46 PM »

Pamplemousse.  It's French for grapefruit.  ;D

I totally agree with this one. It's just so much fun to say!

For the same reason, my favourite Japanese word is 'tokidoki'. ('sometimes') Too bad I can't say it out loud without sounding about five years old.

In English, my favourites are probably 'countenance' and 'appropriate' - the verbs in both cases. Why steal something when you can appropriate it?

Offline harryismyhero

• Participant
  • Oh, how true this is...of ME... ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2006, 12:31:58 AM »
For the same reason, my favourite Japanese word is 'tokidoki'. ('sometimes') Too bad I can't say it out loud without sounding about five years old.

In English, my favourites are probably 'countenance' and 'appropriate' - the verbs in both cases. Why steal something when you can appropriate it?

LOL, "tokidoki" is great! I love that one!

"Appropriate" is a great word, too. My art professors like that word a lot; they say all great artists don't steal, they "appropriate."  ;D
"Hi, I'm Stephanie, and I'm a Dresdenaholic who thinks 'polka will never die.'"

"Do you know what a semiconductor is?"
"A guy that works part-time on a train?"
"...Never mind."

Offline Darla

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Nichtszusagen
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2006, 09:56:57 AM »
oh, no way, that is so cool, what part of germany are you in?
Heck, I've got to have something to show for 12 years (so far) in Germany besides a taste for Jacob's Kroenung coffee and Broetchen with Nutella.  And a lead foot.
Sorry it took me so long to reply--we've been in Italy.   ;D

I'm currently in Miesau (near Homburg).  Also lived for 5 years in Landstuhl (near Kaiserslautern), 3 years in Heidelberg, and 2 years in Seybothenreuth (bitty town near Bayreuth).
Darla