Author Topic: Does DFRPG spoil the books?  (Read 1292 times)

Offline jaythejay

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Does DFRPG spoil the books?
« on: May 18, 2014, 02:28:03 PM »
I'm wondering just how much the two RPG books will spoil in the actual series if read first. Our GM refuses to run DFRPG or even read the sourcebooks until he catches up the series (currently halfway through Summer Knights).

Does it actually spoil book events?

How far should you read in the series so that this is not an issue?

Offline Magnus

• Posty McPostington
  • Secret Vampire of The Chiro Court
    • View Profile
Re: Does DFRPG spoil the books?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 02:36:07 PM »
IF I remember correctly, I think Small Favor is the last book you need to read so that the DFRPG doesn't spoil the books.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 02:37:44 PM by Magnus »
Full assed FTW! :)

"I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library." -Jorge Luis Borges

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 02:39:16 PM »
The RPG books cover the world up to and including Small Favor. Your Story will not spoiler too badly, though every now and again there are examples which include scenes from the books. Our World will do a lot more damage, since it lists all the people and nasties we see up to that point.

If you read them, maybe you can take up the mantle and GM for a while, at least until your GM is caught up? Since you would be running your own game, there wouldn't really be any spoilers, and that way you would get to play.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Ulfgeir

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 07:44:54 PM »
There are spoilers in the Your Story-book as well. One of the players in the game I play in complained of that when we created the characters.
And some of the spoilers are quite major, sadly.

/Ulfgeir
I have not lost my mind, it is backed up somewhere on disc...

Offline Cadd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 09:43:24 PM »
Yeah, there are some (in my mind) major spoilers for books 6 and 8 in various examples in the Character Creation chapter, a book 10 spoiler in the Advancement chapter but that isn't as big. Some of the books artwork is spoiler-ish as well, but without the context they aren't as clear. The various examples in Types & Templates can be spoilery in some cases.

Our World is basically a spoiler-fest, but that's obvious.

Offline Katarn

• Posty McPostington
  • Morgan- Best Warden ever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 05:42:53 AM »
Books 1-10 spoiled, ESPECIALLY if you read "Our World" (character backstories cover all these books).  Your Story definitely has assorted stuff throughout.  About half the short stories are referenced as well.

The upcoming Paranet Papers will update to AT LEAST books 11-12, if not further.