Author Topic: Whispering forest  (Read 1407 times)

Offline Deimos

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Whispering forest
« on: April 11, 2014, 02:33:03 AM »
Hi, i got another question.
I want to run a scene in a haunted forest but dont know how to handle the "scare" factor of it. The idea is to the players to cross but not engage in any combat, just be harassed by whispers all the way. I need to know how to apply "fear" into rules.
The ghosts can be use as a scene aspect, compelling the players?

Offline bobjob

• Posty McPostington
  • Bier, ja? Und mit Dusen-Dusen? Ja!
    • View Profile
Re: Whispering forest
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 02:46:40 AM »
Scene aspects, compelling the players works nicely or you could present the forest as a monster of it's own with an incite fear ability. I wouldn't make it potent, probably weapon:0. Just occasionally hit them with it when a ghost or something appears.
The entire Red Court was taken down by the new Winter Knight? From the lowliest pawn all the way up to the King? *puts on sunglasses* Knight to G7. Check mate.

Playing:
Shale Buckby

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 04:00:38 AM »
Aspects, compels, and mental attacks work well for scaring the characters. If you want to scare the players, then that's gonna be much harder.

Which are you going for?

Offline umdshaman

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 04:23:28 AM »
I'm just guessing here, but if your objective here is to give the players a sense of tension then attempting to mechanize "fear" is going to have the opposite effect. A critical element of fear is a lack of control. So, maybe crank some spooky music (chanting in Latin can work well), but really just keep them responding verbally. Keep the pressure on in an indirect way so that the players are so busy trying to figure out how to deal with the situation that they never think of picking up the dice. It's worked well for me on the few occasions I've needed it.

Offline Jabberwocky

• Conversationalist
  • Radical Reactionary Habsburg Loyalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 09:35:36 PM »
Heh, this topic reminds me of something: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOfy1Fad_8M

By the way, speaking of CoF, this chant might actually come quite handy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHAqT-8CIlE
A Hundred Towers? – Our Prague campaign.
Dramatis personae – Cast of characters, both PCs and NPCs.