Author Topic: Looking to understand more on enchanted items (for a Bag of Holding)  (Read 1485 times)

Offline Martyr of the Cause

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Ideally I want to make a "bag of holding" for my character. The idea is that it can hold X amount of stuff without being cumbersome, which doesn't seen like that alone is a big deal. But I am unsure of how such an little would work, both in game terms and in story terms.

I'd imagine that it'd be a small portal to a sealed chest in the Nevernever (which opens up fun story ideas with things being taken from it from the Nevernever, our something getting out from there when the portal is opened).

The idea that it could only be used so many times outer game session is kind of lame. If that was how it worked I'd expect that it could hold all kind of stuff, many this a super declaration sorry of item. Maybe it ours most it's strength into being able to be opened frequently, or it goes into duration so it is treated as active for a day our a week at a time.

I'd like input on this idea and my interpretation of both story and game mechanics behind it.

Offline blackstaff67

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Looking to understand more on enchanted items (for a Bag of Holding)
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 01:04:44 PM »
Game as written really doesn't bother with encumbrance rules and the like; it's never come up in my games, since we either apply Aspects like "Well-stocked trunk" and the like to our vehicles and/or houses or simply spend a Fate Point while making a Declaration.  Unless you're trying to take an implausible amount of equipment with you somewhere (like several bazookas), I don't see the need for it. 

If you really want to stat it, use the lifting table for Might in the Your Story book as a base and go on from there.
My Purity score: 37.2.  Sad.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 01:09:36 PM »
Well, the idea behind it, opening to a chest in the nevernever, is solid, that should work nicely.

I think it should definitely be an aspect at the very least. There's some great opportunity for compels.

Mechanically, the question really is, what is supposed to be the actual benefit? Being able to carry around a lot is nice, sure, but that alone is not necessarily worth any power.

If you don't want to spend any refresh on it, I would take it just as an aspect and if you want to have something that's a bit uncommon to carry around, spend a fate point to declare that you have it.

I could, for example, see it being done as a power like this.
Bag of Holding [-1]: Once per scene, you may use your Resources skill instead of any other skill, by taking out an item of the bag of holding that you could use to solve the problem at hand.

Since resources is not only money, but equipment, this would fit a character who would make use of an item like this.

As an enchanted item, it could be done similar, though less powerful.

Bag of holding (4 shift resources skill replacement "I've got just the right tool for the job", 1 enchanted item slot, 1 use/session)

This would allow you to use the item to place the "I've got just the right tool for the job" aspect on yourself, that you can invoke on any number of rolls. Including tagging it for effect, to turn it into something more detailed than "the right tool". The item assumes you have at least a lore of 4.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 01:23:00 PM »
Demesne is -1.  Attach it to a bag and tada!  done.

The resource replacement idea is nice too.  Maybe have it do that instead of free declarations.

Offline Martyr of the Cause

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 01:59:55 PM »
I'm loving the input!

My character already has an aspect "Prepared for the worst" which I figured could come into play with the Bag as well.

Generally I liked the surprise factor of having hidden items on me, and being prepared for all kinds of situations.

For recharging it I wad thinking I had to leave the portal closed for an extended duration, or possibly I'd have to empty it out once a day or week.

I also like the idea of being a Resource replacement once per session!

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2014, 02:35:05 PM »
For recharging it I wad thinking I had to leave the portal closed for an extended duration, or possibly I'd have to empty it out once a day or week.
Recharging happens automatically with every milestone (or even every refresh? I'm not sure right now), and in a case like this, I wouldn't look for a complicated explanation. It is, however, a great source for compels.
"Hah, I've got something that can help us!" *grabs into the bag and comes back empty* "Damn, the thing is recharging again."

Keep in mind, that you can reuse an enchanted item by spending a point of mental stress. That means you could get a lot of uses out of this, if you do it right. You could also add additional item slots to the enchanted item, increasing the number of uses per session, before you need to pay with mental stress.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Cadd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2014, 04:01:34 PM »
Recharging happens automatically with every milestone (or even every refresh? I'm not sure right now)
By RAW, a Minor Milestone and a Refresh usually happens at essentially the same point - end of a session/beginning of next. Enchanted Items are recharged "every session".

I think I'd technically stick it to the refresh happening, so any time I decide we're too "in the middle of action" to have a refresh, Enchanted Items have yet to recharge as well; likewise when I later let the refresh happen while playing (because there's a bit of mid-session downtime in the story) I'll also reset the Enchanted Item uses.