Author Topic: Mixing Foci - Evocation and Sponsored Magic  (Read 1818 times)

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
Mixing Foci - Evocation and Sponsored Magic
« on: March 13, 2014, 05:24:39 PM »
So, in normal evocation, the rules state that you can't get the same kind of bonus from two different focus items at the same time--if you have a staff and a rod that each have a +1 to offensive wind control, you can't use them both for a +2.

But does this apply the same way with sponsored magics. since you can "overlay" something like Winter Ice or Summer Fire on top of an existing Evocation element? What happens if you have a focus item tuned to boost your control roll +1 for Summer Fire and a blasting rod giving a +2 to control regular fire, and want to overlay Summer Fire on top? Can you use both foci, or do you stick by the aforementioned rule?
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
Re: Mixing Foci - Evocation and Sponsored Magic
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 05:39:32 PM »
I would not let them stack. 1 Focus item for control, 1 for power, no more, no less.

They are different tools for the same job. Just because you've got 3 different sized hammers in your hand doesn't mean you'll get the nail into the wall any better than just taking the best hammer for the job. If the overlap is too frequently, I would see that I switch them out. So in your case, just turn it into +3 summer fire permanently, and everything is fine.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline narphoenix

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 05:41:31 PM »
So, in normal evocation, the rules state that you can't get the same kind of bonus from two different focus items at the same time--if you have a staff and a rod that each have a +1 to offensive wind control, you can't use them both for a +2.

But does this apply the same way with sponsored magics. since you can "overlay" something like Winter Ice or Summer Fire on top of an existing Evocation element? What happens if you have a focus item tuned to boost your control roll +1 for Summer Fire and a blasting rod giving a +2 to control regular fire, and want to overlay Summer Fire on top? Can you use both foci, or do you stick by the aforementioned rule?

I'd stick by the aforementioned rule. Otherwise, a wizard could get a Discipline+10 to evocation targeting roll for [-2] in Sponsored Magic and [-3] in Refinement (assuming a Lore of Superb, which generally isn't a bad assumption). That could get very broken very quickly.

And what if they had two Sponsored Magics, like Harry? Would you let them stack for a +15 to their targeting roll? This sort of thing could get very ridiculous very quickly.
GMing:

Paranet 2250

Avatar from Scarfgirl and TheOtherChosenOne of Deviantart

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 05:49:39 PM »
All very good points. Okay, I'm going to rule that way, then.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Cadd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 07:20:14 PM »
I'd also disallow it, but based on Thaumaturgy.
Say you have foci for +complexity, one for Divination and one for Ectomancy. If you perform a spell to find ghosts in an area, that's both Ectomancy och Divination, but you can still only use one of the +Complexity foci.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 03:30:56 PM by Cadd »

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 12:42:31 PM »
I'd also go with a no on this one.

Offline Locnil

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2014, 08:06:30 PM »
Since this topic has already been brought up, however, a quick question I'd like clarified - can a refinement or a focus provide a bonus to both evocation and thaumaturgy*? I assume no, but I can't actually find anything that says that.

*As in, a +1 winter magic control refinement, adding a bonus to control rolls for evocation and thaumaturgy that uses winter magic. I'm extending this question to foci for the sake of comprehensiveness, though that one seems more obvious to me.

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2014, 08:46:16 PM »
Since this topic has already been brought up, however, a quick question I'd like clarified - can a refinement or a focus provide a bonus to both evocation and thaumaturgy*? I assume no, but I can't actually find anything that says that.

*As in, a +1 winter magic control refinement, adding a bonus to control rolls for evocation and thaumaturgy that uses winter magic. I'm extending this question to foci for the sake of comprehensiveness, though that one seems more obvious to me.

Refinement, definitely not.

Foci, maybe, if you paid for both... not sure if it's actually allowed RAW or not, but I'd allow it -- but it would certainly cost a focus item slot for each. (IE +1 evocation offensive and defensive control and +1 thaumaturgy control with Unseelie Magic is 3 focus item slots)

EDIT: fixed offensive/defensive control bit

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2014, 03:42:29 AM »
As long as you get the normal number of pluses and don't exceed any caps, I don't see why you shouldn't be able to.