Author Topic: Combat scenes  (Read 1678 times)

Offline Deimos

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Combat scenes
« on: February 08, 2014, 02:07:09 PM »
How do you frame a combat scene? What I need is like the "skeleton" of the scene, so it can be applied to any content you want to use. For example: I frame them like a short investigation/interaction scene and use the actual combat as the easy way out of a situation. But Im having problems to make them believable or at least consistent.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
Re: Combat scenes
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 09:28:42 PM »
I'm afraid I'm not sure what you're asking, or what you mean by framing them like an interaction scene with combat as the easy way out.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Deimos

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 10:14:24 PM »
My question was how should I create a combat scene. Like A-team vs B-team, simple. The thing is that for some reason I cant come up with a convincing combat sequence. The aspects for example, how do I choose them?. Give me an example of a combat scene.

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 10:17:35 PM »
How do you frame a combat scene?
In general, I don't need to; it grows naturally out of the preceding scenes and choices. 

When you are initiating the scene without benefit of previous scenes' context, I recommend starting as late as possible.  Don't begin with a monologue describing the last hour they've spent investigating the club's White Court connections, begin with the moment the dancers become suddenly aggressive and the PCs are caught in the spotlights.  Right as the fight starts in other words.

My question was how should I create a combat scene. Like A-team vs B-team, simple. The thing is that for some reason I cant come up with a convincing combat sequence. The aspects for example, how do I choose them?. Give me an example of a combat scene.
Don't get hung up on creating poetic sounding aspects, just consider anything which may affect the outcome an aspect.  Is it dark?  Crowded?  Overwhelmed by loud music?  Or is it a well lit city street lined with parked cars?  Your scene aspects are the pieces you (or your players) think are important pieces of the description.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 10:24:05 PM by UmbraLux »
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 10:36:51 PM »
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline PirateJack

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2014, 11:10:44 PM »
The above link is perfect, but I've made up a quick 4 point guide for building a scene on the fly. Works for both combat and non-combat.

1) Teams - Who is on each team.
2) Goals - What the major NPC goals are for this scene.
3) Limit - What the NPCs are willing to take before conceding.
4) Stage Aspects - What's the scenery like? I'm decent at making up descriptions on the fly, but I have a habit of forgetting stage aspects. This helps.

It's very basic, but I only really need the bare bones to get a scene going. From there it works itself out.
Quote from: JoeC
"Why are you banging your head against the wall?
'cause it feels sooooo good when I stop..."

Offline Deimos

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2014, 03:28:15 AM »
Wow...just wow...
I fell kinda stupid now because I've being using only the tip of the iceberg on compels and effects. And probably wrong too. A+ on the combat example and a gigantic thanks for you guys, all of you. Now to work in my writer's block!