Author Topic: Defending with Discipline.  (Read 1431 times)

Offline Leeder

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • Vancouver Files Campaign
Defending with Discipline.
« on: February 10, 2014, 12:25:51 PM »
Hello everyone!

I have another stupid question. Will be grateful if you clarify to me, what is more rules-friendly.

So, we have a Wizard, very similar to Harry type. One abstract enemy with sharp claws jumps on him and slashes at him.

A player of the Wizard remembers that Harry used magic to defend himself and wants to do the same. What he should do?

1) It might be possible only with an Enchanted Item like bracelet charms.

2) It might be possible with a preventive casting. The Wizard should cast a shield before the attack begins.

3) It might be possible with a defensive casting. Eats out mental stressboxes and works like a standard casting, but does not require an action.

4) It might be possible like a standard defense roll in the place of Athletics.

5) It might be possible like a standard defense roll in the place of Athletics. Requires a stunt ("Use Discipline instead of Athletics to defend with my talisman").

I couldn't find an answer in YS. Which variant is more legal? Where can I find a reference in the rulebook?

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
Re: Defending with Discipline.
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 12:32:39 PM »
The only strictly RAW option would be to have a Block in place before the attack.

It also might be possible to have a stunt allowing Discipline to be used as a defense skill with some restriction.
IF such a stunt were possible, it might be possible to spend a FP for temporary access.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 12:57:29 PM »
RAW, 1&2.

I allow defensive casting, since it still eats away character resources.  It works like so:
After the attack roll, but before the player rolls defense, they can decide to use a spell to defend.  They cast the spell normally.  The defensive spell only applies to a single attack.  This duration cannot be extended.

So spending an action on a block is still better because you can apply it to all attacks that turn, and extend it if you'd like.

5 is possible, but I'd require that it only works in pretty specific circumstances.  They shouldn't be able to use Discipline in place of athletics against every attack.  (Maybe only ranged attacks, maybe only after having cast a spell that turn, maybe only melee attacks, maybe only against a single opponent each turn, etc).

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 04:52:24 PM »
5 is possible, but I'd require that it only works in pretty specific circumstances.  They shouldn't be able to use Discipline in place of athletics against every attack.  (Maybe only ranged attacks, maybe only after having cast a spell that turn, maybe only melee attacks, maybe only against a single opponent each turn, etc).

I'd probably just have it cost a point of mental stress for each defence roll. Pretty redundant with your houserules, but potentially well worth it in a regular game.

Also I'd make it a -1 Power instead of a Stunt, because I'd want it to require Evocation or Channelling. Otherwise it's a stunt for everyone except spellcasters, which is just weird.

Might let a single point of stress give you Discipline-defence for a full turn, since otherwise it feels a bit feeble compared to a Refinement's worth of Enchanted Items.

Offline Leeder

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • Vancouver Files Campaign
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 11:44:02 AM »
Thank you for the answers, gentlemen. I've got the point.