Author Topic: Arting Harder at the Pen Monkey Toiling Pit (Celebrate Them Pages Pt III)  (Read 49069 times)

Offline moon

• Posty McPostington
  • Dr awesome aka neuro THANK YOU
    • View Profile
sooo final year of highschool/alevel exams means I have to stop my self writing
soo every time I wake up I get a new idea for a past project or a new one
my brain it hates me
and I have to be sooo self controled not to write short stories in my lunch brakes (as I wont stop until they are finished)

I am proberly never going to manage really long novels any time soon...
but as I find short stories fun I am okay with that

the bright side to not allowing my self to write till I finish exams is I can listen to neuro read one of their books
which is awesome
and a lot of fun
and they really need to be less modist about their stuff

okay enough ego stroking/ wishing I could write more

good luck everyone

(I am 19 if I finish a project and it does not make some's eyes bleed to look at it that is awesome)
may you live in interesting times

My Guide Dog Layla is pawsome
@blindseyeview for pictures ect

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
I'd say you're off to a hell of a good start, just keep making "butt in chair" time happen.  In the meantime, I suggest getting "Scrivener."  Great program.  Any idea you get that you don't have time to sink your teeth into, just open a new project for it, slap down those basic concept or character sketches you have, and you can get back to them later without fear of forgetting the idea...

Offline moon

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Ooh good idea I am still using the pen and note book method...
Might just find Kindle app due to possibility of losing all files and computer access in the next month

Yeah I can't compare my writing to others as I have not been doing it long enough or read as many books as them...

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
Comparison is useless. Forget it. You want your own voice and your own story and tell it in your own way. Art is art.

You know what I wish I'd done at your age? Forget even the short stories if you're out of time. Forget sentences! Just write your emotions. Write what happens during your day. Write about your friends. Write about your hopes. Write about your dreams.

As a young adult writer, what I wouldn't give for all those journals I tossed after college. What a freaking waste! I wish I had those written words so I could remember what it really was like being your age.

Write! Maybe it's not even a sentence. Maybe it's just a thought. Write! And don't freaking throw it away when you run out of space. LOL That was my situation. Yours? Get it on a flash drive and don't lose it!

Best wishes moon. You inspire me!
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline moon

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
I try to do that...
its about the only use my FB and LJ accounts get these days

keep writing!

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
OK, so I'm in official cut down the words. I got it down a 1000 yesterday. Today, I included an adjustment to key scene, cut out the blasted dog that I thought was cute (even the crit group liked it) but I didn't want to continue to worry about where the heck it was all the time during the action scene--and I didn't want to add yet another character---

Even so, I'm up about 350 words.  arghh.

And I'm meeting with the press' marketing person today. That's exciting.
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell

Offline moon

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
writing a plan for new project
really want to do first bit today...

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
  • Persuasion is the key to success.
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
Wrote 4k yesterday and got up to 56k on Admiral Invincible.

The Deposed King

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

The Deposed King (a member of baen's bar)

Offline moon

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
just over 500 words on new project... not bad

also read/listened to three of neuros chapters
which are awesome
but OMG CLIFF HANGERS!!!!!!

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
57k - Admiral Invincible

58k - Admiral Invincible

59k - Admiral Invincible

60k - Admiral Invincible

61k - Admiral Invincible

The Deposed King
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 01:12:05 PM by The Deposed King »

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Actually adding more words in edit rather than cutting. I'm in shock. I really am improving; as what I've written is tight and strong. I'll still need to cut words to be where I want, but I'm okay w press at this length if need be.

There is a subthread that I'm worried might be an author's little precious, but I hope not. Might even do two versions (1 w/out and 1 with) & then decide.

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
62k - Admiral Invincible

63k - Admiral Invincible

The Deposed King
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 05:41:33 PM by The Deposed King »

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
Actually adding more words in edit rather than cutting. I'm in shock. I really am improving; as what I've written is tight and strong. I'll still need to cut words to be where I want, but I'm okay w press at this length if need be.

There is a subthread that I'm worried might be an author's little precious, but I hope not. Might even do two versions (1 w/out and 1 with) & then decide.

That subthread could be your 'ugly doorknob'.  A friend told me about the 'ugly doorknob' theory years ago.
He said that people buying a new house unconsciously or maybe consciously want to be able to change/correct
something so if you give them a really 'ugly doorknob'  - they can happily change something and will
tend to be more forgiving of other things elsewhere in the house.  I suspect that editors are probably
the same.  Give them an 'ugly doorknob' so they can put their 'stamp' on a piece and they may be
less likely to savage other parts of your work.  I thought it an interesting theory and a moderately
plausible one.

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
64k - Admiral Invincible

65k - Admiral Invincible

66k - Admiral Invincible

67k - Admiral Invincible

68k - Admiral Invincible

69k - Admiral Invincible

The Deposed King
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 01:20:29 AM by The Deposed King »

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Snowleopard. Love the ugly doorknob story. Stackpole once in conference said to leave something icky for editors. They'll focus on that rather than other stuff.

I've written every day (except 6*) since 3.22.14.
 *More than made up in double session days.