Author Topic: Arting Harder at the Pen Monkey Toiling Pit (Celebrate Them Pages Pt III)  (Read 49090 times)

Offline superpsycho

• Conversationalist
  • It’s about communication - ET phone home.
    • View Profile
    • our forum on
And edit, edit, edit. And research, research, research. And crank it out. It'll be another locked in weekend.

Anyone else add word count when editing? Love it. Love the depth. Love returning to the beginning now that I know the characters and where the plot threads will be going. BUT still cranking out those ending scenes of the rough draft. I think I'm up 2500 in the past couple days.
If you're not adding words, then you're likely just proofreading, not editing. Editing is often where a story can get depth, ambience and authenticity.
Best planet I've been on so far.

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
  • Persuasion is the key to success.
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
With editing I'm either gaining words or losing them.

the Deposed King

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

The Deposed King (a member of baen's bar)

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
Writing marathon in session. Shutters drawn. No visitors. Great editing and cool 500 so far. Restricting Internet but I'll be around during breaks.
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
46k - Admiral Invincible

The Deposed King

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
How bad would it be if I skipped my grand-daughter's baptism to continue my weekend writing marathon? Yeah, I know. Get showered Meg.

I won't read Skin Game until the rough draft is finished. After that, there's this horrid game my mind plays with me. It says, "You can't hope to write on Jim Butcher's level. Forget writing." It takes a couple weeks of self hate. Then I put the take-aways from his highlighted book to work and hone my skills...

6000 max words left of the first draft, plus editing continues. Primarily going back to firm up the clue and subplot lines to mesh smoothly with the updated angles as the draft proceeded.

"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
How bad would it be if I skipped my grand-daughter's baptism to continue my weekend writing marathon? Yeah, I know. Get showered Meg.

I won't read Skin Game until the rough draft is finished. After that, there's this horrid game my mind plays with me. It says, "You can't hope to write on Jim Butcher's level. Forget writing." It takes a couple weeks of self hate. Then I put the take-aways from his highlighted book to work and hone my skills...

6000 max words left of the first draft, plus editing continues. Primarily going back to firm up the clue and subplot lines to mesh smoothly with the updated angles as the draft proceeded.

I always say you don't have to be as good as (insert name) you just have to be good enough to make a living at it.  Or alternately sell enough copies to get at a certain daily sales amount or amazon ranking.

I mean heck there are lots of published authors not as good as Jim Butcher and yet you don't see them packing up their chips and going home.

You don't have to be the best, only good enough!

Oh Just did 3k additional chapter for The Painting, Falon II, tonight.

The Deposed King
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 05:51:56 PM by The Deposed King »

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Thank you DK. i know logically you are right, but I've learned to leave about two weeks to get myself back on track. I don't have that problem with other books. It's his books. The sparse words, the right mix of interior and clear action, the reader's instinctive empathy with his characters. But you are 100% right. The writer's mantra, Hang in there. Trust the muse.

Weekend writing/editing marathon continues. Down to 5000 words to go now. The baptism took longer than I thought--should have skipped the shower. LOL Here's my notes concerning the last scene. It's going to be a b**** to get right, but that isn't for now. On to the motocross race down the Missouri River bluffs. That and one more hard action scene and then it's wipe up left to handle.

My comment bubble on the major assault scene: OKAY you've gotten the fight scene logistics down. You’ve set the scene. The players are in place. The dangerous action is there. You know what’s going to happen. You’ve sketched it in. Now leave it and finish the draft. Fix it later. Only how the hell do I fix it? Time to yank apart some large assault scenes from books to figure this out. How much is over view when a lot is happening in clumps all over the place? How much is interior thought? How do I keep everything in place and moving forward at a frightening speed. Or should I slow it down? Sounds like I need a reread of the Summer Knight giant blow out. ARGHH. Questions for Jim ‘s master class at WyrdCon. Poor guy has no idea how much I'm going to peel back his head and look at his processes.

First though, I need a long walk to clear my head. Then I'm back at the keyboard to write the motocross race down the Missouri River bluffs. That and one more hard action scene and then it's wipe up what's left to handle.

Looks like I'll finally get to read the released first chapters by Thursday night.

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Hell, Jim's the guy who got me into all this back when he gave us a peek under the hood of genre writing with his livejournal entries.  I don't read anybody's work as something to compare myself to.  It's all a resource I can learn from.  Reading for the pure joy of it, but also being able to giggle and point and say "I see what you done there," at some bit of clever story-craft.  Understand the writer's layering, get examples of this or that done right or wrong.

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
47k - Admiral Invincible

The Deposed King

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
48k - Admiral Invincible

49k - Admiral Invincible

The Deposed King
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 05:44:10 PM by The Deposed King »

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
50k - Admiral Invincible

51k - Admiral Invincible

52k - Admiral Invincible

The Deposed King
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 03:19:37 PM by The Deposed King »

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Approximately 3300 words to complete the rough draft, as well as the major smoothing out of the prior days work each morning. Managing my writing time from 6 - 8 like normal. I'm at WyrdCon and Gamers sleep late. Lots of quiet places to write while eating breakfast. Great staff that give you lots of room and privacy.

And WyrdCon is awesome. Jim's class was great and I made tons of notes, but the most notable for me to put to use? Ping Pong... Yeah, cryptic, but very helpful for two applications:
  • Dialog - even in group dialog scenes plan it out so two are communicating at a time before moving on to conversation between a different grouping of two. This keeps the reader tracking smoothly. Ping Pong between them and it will also clean up excess dialog tags. Not as clunky and awkward as it sounds.
  • Fight scenes - again Ping Pong between two characters at a time AND keep it to Stimulus - Response, Stimulus - Response, etc. In other words keep it moving like a Ping Pong, but don't break the sequence above. Of course never reverse, which would be, uhhh, stupid.

I have a list of about ten new things for me to consider and search out when working on my edits.

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
Just popped another book up on amazon.  The Painting book 2 of my Rise of the Witch Guard series will be live in less than 12 hours.

The Deposed King

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
rough draft done  82712 words  *happy dance*

Revision and edits for months on end to go. In the meantime, I'm reading Skin Game. Happy writing all. AND CONGRATS DK! I'll be looking for it.

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Simple line edits cut 280 words over 12 pages. At my beginning page count of 296 that means I'll pull off 6,775 over the entire manuscript. I want to get to 60,000. That's another 13,275 to trim via major revision work. For starters, that doesn't look too bad...

Waiting for midnight to download Skin Game. Might as well keep working.