Author Topic: Aspect collection, searching and tagging database  (Read 1203 times)

Offline pokken

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Aspect collection, searching and tagging database
« on: January 28, 2014, 07:37:03 AM »
Hey folks, been a long time but I thought I'd share a Dresden files (and Fate) inspired project I've been working on. Now's the time, after a few tens of hours of effort, to find out if someone's already had the same idea and done it better ;)

The pitch: Mobile friendly webapp where users can post Aspects to share, and tag them with single word tags, then browse or search for them.

You can check it out here: http://aspectinator.appspot.com/

Feel free to PM me feedback, comments, questions, requests. I'm working on it pretty regularly, and will continue to push patches and general upgrades; there should not be any further changes to the data model, so whatever content gets added will persist across any upgrades, which will be UI related primarily.

Current issues
-There's still some clunkiness about the UI while I port the rest of it from Jinja templates with WTForms to Angular.
-Only Google users can log in today, although anyone can browse/search. If there's enough interest I'll set up Oauth for Facebook, MSN and Amazon.
-There ain't no danged content. I seeded it with some top level type tags, but I haven't input but a few aspects as samples.
-User profiles are quite barren. You can't see much except stuff you've liked.
-The URL doesn't match the name and they are both kinda dumb.
-The UI works fine on most mobile devices but is not amazingly polished or anything.
-It's on a free GAE account, so if people love it it might crash - if people use it that much I'll remedy that.

Disclaimers
-The only info the tool stores about you is your Google account ID, what you've liked, what you've created and when you've done everything. If you edit something, it'll note that you were the last one to do so (the number of edits you can make are pretty minimal.
-I will almost certainly break stuff from time to time; my programming chops are pretty dull and just about every piece of the technology used is new to me.

Nerd stuff
-Written on Python for Google AppEngine, using the Ferris webapp framework combined with AngularJS and Bootstrap 3, and just a few dollops of Jquery here and there where Angular couldn't get the whole job done.
-Data stored in the Google object datastore.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 08:11:12 AM by pokken »

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
Re: Aspect collection, searching and tagging database
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 01:48:49 PM »
I haven't gotten a chance to look at it but, if you want content, there's an "Aspects" list on the Resource collection page.

There was some plan to put them in a spread sheet etc...but it may have fallen through so  your work would be appreciated.  (assuming it was, roughly, the same goal and I've understood the jist of what you're trying to accomplish)

Offline Cadd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 02:18:20 PM »
From a quick look at it, it looks cool!

Offline pokken

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 04:08:15 PM »
I haven't gotten a chance to look at it but, if you want content, there's an "Aspects" list on the Resource collection page.

There was some plan to put them in a spread sheet etc...but it may have fallen through so  your work would be appreciated.  (assuming it was, roughly, the same goal and I've understood the jist of what you're trying to accomplish)

Yep, you got it. I did consider grabbing an aspects list and dumping it but many of the lists I've seen have a lot of..chaff to say the least. I do aim to at least collect new chaff, at least for now :)