Author Topic: A burning question left unanswered for years...  (Read 2955 times)

Offline Carnifex:Pacifex

• Participant
  • Phobophage, Silicomancer, Hemomancer,and Christian
    • View Profile
A burning question left unanswered for years...
« on: January 30, 2014, 12:28:48 AM »
And so I come to these forums; though in hindsight, I probably should have come here much earlier.
and yes, it has ben a very long time since I've been here; college had become very busy very suddenly.

anyway, my question is this; What are those semi-goth skirts guys wear called?!? And before you say kilts, im talking about the kind that go down the the feet.

not unlike this: http://www.hottopic.com/hottopic/Tripp+Black+Strap+Mens+Skirt-974898.jsp

or this:  http://store.vampirefreaks.com/product.php?pid=1855

In the main story I'm currently writing, the protagonist wears something similar; but I simply cannot go throughout the book reffering to it as the man-skirt (at least not in a humorous way) because it would bring images of kilts with the readers.

your time and answers are highly appreciated...especially with this matter :D
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 12:40:40 AM by Carnifex:Pacifex »
Its time for a harvest...

"Pride is a spiritual cancer: it eats up the very possibility of love, or contentment, or even common sense."-C.S. Lewis

"All that is needed for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"-Edmund Burke

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
  • Better Red than dead...
    • View Profile
    • elizabethkwadsworth.com
Re: A burning question left unanswered for years...
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 09:02:34 PM »
Possibly a Skant? (Mashup of Skirt + Pant) or a Mant (Man + Skirt.)
"Make good art." -Neil Gaiman
"Or failing that, entertaining trash." -Me
http://www.elizabethkwadsworth.com

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 05:36:30 PM »
Everybody I know who wears them just calls them skirts. Not making a big deal about them in ways to point up the "ooh, man wearing woman's clothing" thing but just taking it for granted that anyone can wear anything they like is a large part of the point.

As Iggy Pop says "I don't wear 'women's dresses'. I wear my dresses."
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 05:39:07 PM by the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh »
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Carnifex:Pacifex

• Participant
  • Phobophage, Silicomancer, Hemomancer,and Christian
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 08:06:28 PM »
hmmm. I suppose you guys be right. I think I can rely on more detailed description (though not too extensive) to keep the correct image in the reader's mind when I first mention the unique garment.
Though it would be funny to have some call it a skirt in a derogatory sense.
or even have a small child innocently ask him "why do you wear a dress?"
Its time for a harvest...

"Pride is a spiritual cancer: it eats up the very possibility of love, or contentment, or even common sense."-C.S. Lewis

"All that is needed for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"-Edmund Burke