Author Topic: I need some ideas for a ghost campaign  (Read 1084 times)

Offline ohiowarden

• Participant
    • View Profile
I need some ideas for a ghost campaign
« on: January 18, 2014, 03:37:54 AM »
I have been running my friends in a game for the past year off and on. The game has one person ectomancer as "Ghost Hunter" with a Scifi Chanel kind of show. The other person is the ghost of The Black Dahlia. They have had a lot of settings from the classic hunted house to Mansfield Prison all the way you to a evil wizard summoning a Balrog. At this point i'm not sure where to go with it. Does anyone have any ideas?

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
Re: I need some ideas for a ghost campaign
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 06:25:12 AM »
A nevernever adventure?

Finding the ghosts murderer?

Finding the ghost a new body to inhabit permanently?

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 08:30:18 PM »
I've had an idea for a ghost themed campaign a while back. Even before Ghost Story was available. Maybe you can use some or all of it.

Intro:
Frank hated driving through this part of town. But he had a long day and he just wanted to get home, and the long way around would have taken him another 15 minutes. Damn, it was really hard to see anything through the dark and the rain.
"In other news, the 11 year old tiger Lili had to be shot today, after she mauled one of her caretakers to death. To date it is unknown why the caretaker was in the enclosure at the same time as the..."
Click.
The next radio station was playing country music. Not Frank's first choice, but better than news like that. After a few moments, he felt better, tapping the beat of the music with his fingers on the steering wheel. It wouldn't be long before he was home with his wife and little boy, and he would finally get some sleep.

"Jesus Christ!" Frank cursed as he stepped on the brake as hard as he could. He hadn't seen the little girl before it was too late, and though he didn't feel an impact, he couldn't see her now, either. "Oh shit!" he exclaimed, loosening the belt and opening the door. "Oh god, oh god, please don't be hurt!" Frank muttered to himself. He stepped around the car as quick as he could, but there was nothing to see. He circled around the car, even checked under the car. Nothing. "Oh thank god," he exhaled in relief. Damn, was he so sleep deprived that he had started to hallucinate?
"Excuse me, mister, have you seen my cat?" The girls voice almost gave him a heart attack. He didn't hallucinate then. He turned around and saw a girl standing there. She was wearing a white dress with blue flowers on them, that went down to her ankles. She didn't wear any shoes, only white socks. And he could see the street through her feet.
"Mister? Have you seen my cat, mister?" the girl repeated. This couldn't be real, Frank pinched himself. He closed his eyes for a moment, counted to three to calm himself down, then opened them again. The girl was still standing there.
"Mister? Have you seen my cat?" Frank started to answer, when he heard a growling noise behind him. He turned around, just as the girl happily yelled "Kittie!" The ghostly outlines of a tiger were stalking closer from behind him. 15 feet. 12 feet. Frank tried to turn around, and more on instinct than anything else grab the girl and run. The tiger was over him in a fraction of a second, and it didn't even hurt, before he blacked out.

"Bad Kittie," was the first thing he heard when he opened his eyes. The girl was standing over him, looking at him with a smile on her face. "I found my cat, mister. Do you want to play with us?" Frank didn't mind. Though he felt like he was forgetting something important. Oh well, it would come back to him. "Sure," he answered, as he stepped over some poor soul's corpse to follow the girl and the tiger who were already passing through the walls of a nearby abandoned house.

The idea is this: A white council wizard was in love with a mortal woman. She got pregnant after a while, but was shot in a gas station robbery. Mortal doctors couldn't help her, and full of grief, the wizard turned to necromancy to keep his wife alive, at least long enough for the daughter to be born. It worked, and a few month later, the little girl was alive and well, albeit born from a dead body. She grew up well, until around her 8th birthday, she suddenly fell into a coma. Since then, she's been hooked up on machines in a hospital, which keep her body alive.
Though she isn't really in a coma. Her unique circumstances brought with them a gift over the undead, specifically ghosts. She accidentally left her own body one day and is now wandering the streets, wreaking havoc by binding and creating ghosts or not letting them pass over. Not out of malice, really, but because she doesn't know any better. Ghosts just don't hurt her.
Subsequently, ghost stories have been on the rise in the city. A lot of people have stories about seeing the little girl, and even more have stories about random encounters with various other ghosts. Some are fairly harmless, some, like poor Frank, not so much.
But there is more. A wizard with the inherent power to control the undead is a powerful ally. A little girl with that power is a weapon to be molded and pointed at ones enemies. So it's not only her father looking for a way to make her better (he doesn't realize the scope of her condition yet), but various supernatural parties are trying to get a hold of the girl, ghost or real body.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 09:08:05 PM »
Grave robbers and necromancers make good antagonists for ghosts, I think.

Offline ohiowarden

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 11:40:20 PM »
thanks guys great stuff