Author Topic: WCV Questions  (Read 3848 times)

Offline Chee

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: WCV Questions
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2013, 04:47:10 AM »
On vampires and magic, I point first at Vitto Malvora. Then I point at Papa Raith. Also, not all rituals need a sponser, a person can power them themselves. Of course, the vampires can always draw on their Hunger demon. I don't know if Thomas has full Thau or not, but he would likely have Ritual Divination.

On vampire/vampire babies, its probably uber rare. Wampire/human couples rarely produce offspring at all.

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2013, 05:55:07 AM »
If I'm remembering Backup correctly, Thomas pulled off a bit of ritual magic to do the tracking spell.

Thaumaturgy kind of ritual, like what Harry does for bigger spells, not "Cosmic Vending Machine"-from-BR kind of ritual. Thomas has genuine magical talent, though less than Harry, and way less training and practice (he compares it to six months at a vocational school vs. Harry having a doctorate).

There's an "unverified" WoJ that:

'Are there White Court vampire wizards?'
Yes, there are. Thomas is middle-of-the-road in power and [ed: think I'm remembering this correctly] the strongest don't get as strong as mortal wizards [/ed], but they can pull off some strong tricks with their Hunger.

http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,21772.msg947683.html#msg947683

My guess as to why is that the White Court Hunger and their "magic" (feeding/emotion powers/super-strength, speed and healing) interferes somehow with the regular magic. Plus (and maybe more importantly) they tend not to practice as much since they can rely on their other powers, and they may not have other wizards to learn from either.

EDIT:

On vampires and magic, I point first at Vitto Malvora. Then I point at Papa Raith.

Yes, Vitto also used spells, though he had an "external sponsor" (an Outsider). He probably had spellcasting ability "on his own" but it's not 100% confirmed like Thomas, IMO.

I don't remember Papa Raith ever casting a spell? He had knowledge about the HWWB-ritual, but that's not a self-powered "spell" as such. He had that instant-death "Kiss of Death" thing before Maggie Sr., but that was over-powered WCV powers, not spellcasting. His immunity may be a spell, but could be one cast by Maggie Sr. when they were working together rather than by him -- or it could be an Outsider thing.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 05:58:13 AM by vultur »

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2014, 10:26:08 PM »
My take on this stuff:

1. Yeah they burn each other.  True Love is True Love.

2. I treat all magical creatures like the American Shorthair Cat. Yes, they breed, yes they inbreed.  No it doesn't hurt them.  I think this is especially appropriate for WCV and Fae.  I mean elves do it in D&D.

As a sidenote: Not sure where I heard this whether it was Word of Jim or not (I am inclined to think so however)...so do not quote this for truth.  It does sound good though.

Feeding works like birth control. You want kids you hold back and don't feed. This works for both genders.  It also explains why there are not 80 billion WCV's running around from all the sex induced feedings.

3. Yes.  They can haz magics.