Author Topic: Using Dresden RPG for other Urban Fantasy book settings  (Read 2147 times)

Offline DanteC

• Participant
    • View Profile
Using Dresden RPG for other Urban Fantasy book settings
« on: January 11, 2014, 11:42:39 AM »
Has anyone taken other urban fantasy book settings and ran a game of them using the FATE system?  Specifically I'm looking at the likes of Mike Carey's Felix Castor books, Kate Griffins Matthew Swift, Neverwhere, Nightwatch etc (I'm more a fan of the urban fantasy stuff set in the UK).  Thanks. 

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Using Dresden RPG for other Urban Fantasy book settings
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 02:43:59 PM »
I don't know about those specific settings, but yeah.  A lot of people do this.

Biggest thing to consider setting the game in the UK is that pure mortals have an even harder time.  Guns are an equalizer, and one that's considerably harder to get ahold of in Europe (even cops may not have them sometimes).  Dresden really takes advantage of the cowboy mentality of American firearms. 

Offline blackstaff67

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 04:24:30 PM »
I thought that U.K. police had evolved with the times and armed all their officers these days.  Am I wrong in thinking this?  I figure that they have even stricter mandates on drawing and firing (let alone killing) than we Yanks do, but were you to ask me to run a U.J.-based game, I'd arm all the police (even the female ones).  Am I misinformed? 
My Purity score: 37.2.  Sad.

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 05:43:33 PM »
I thought that U.K. police had evolved with the times and armed all their officers these days.  Am I wrong in thinking this?  I figure that they have even stricter mandates on drawing and firing (let alone killing) than we Yanks do, but were you to ask me to run a U.J.-based game, I'd arm all the police (even the female ones).  Am I misinformed?

Even the female ones?  What does an officer's gender have to do with whether or not they're armed?

Also, in London, only something like 20% of officers are authorized to carry firearms.  They all have tasers, but only specially trained units are authorized to use them in anything but self defense.

Offline DanteC

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 07:59:01 PM »
In regards to firearms, only certain members of the police have access to them.  The exact amount seems to vary in region to region.  Off the top of my head, a license is required for firearms, and there's not a lot of people here in the UK who can justify having a gun (usually something like a shot-gun, they MUST be locked up, and the police will take any reports of gun sightings VERY seriously). 

In regards to the three books I picked as universes to plunder, here's a very quick sketch of the characters available.  It's been a while since I've read any of them though. 

Felix Castor - Castor is an exorcist, who gets rid of ghosts for a price.  His ability has nothing to do with religion (he actually uses a harmonica to make a song that lets him 'tune out' the ghost.  Other exorcists have different methods of removing ghosts.  Castor usually needs to do research on a ghost before he can exorcise it though.)  The books do remind me of Hellblazer (not that that's a bad thing), but to be fair, Mike wrote Hellblazer for a few years.  That's one series I really should see if it's been done using DFRPG as well. 

Exorcists are the main 'magic-users', as the entities they get rid of can usually only be banished by one (it's an actual ability, not a skill-set).  Other characters include normal humans , ghosts, demons, zombies (they don't eat brains, they're ghost's who've possessed their own dead body), lycanthropes (ghosts possessing animals).  Also, the world knows that ghosts exists.  Other beings, I'm not too sure about.  Mike Carey is hopefully going to be starting the next book soon (possibly another one as well.  I met him a few years ago, and he was pondering doing a spin-off novel featuring another character from the books). 

Neverwhere - characters are a full spectrum of odd.  The most famous of these three I've put up here.  Too much to cover, and I'd figure if you've read Dresden, you've read Neverwhere. 

Matthew Swift/Magicals Anonymous - Brief synopsis time.  Matthew Swift was a sorceror, until he died in a phone booth.  And they never found the body.  Two years later, he comes out of the phone line, merged with the blue electric angels, the spirits of snippets of communication throughout the telephone system, and very, very annoyed.  Probably the best way to describe the Swift books is earlier Dresden Files meets Neverwhere's variety of characters. 

The Swift books features,
sorcerors - individuals who channel their urban environment (summoning exhaust fumes to choke an opponent,)
warlocks - people who gain power by brokering with spirits (they're not really covered in the series)
wizards - learn spells from books and teachers (again, they're not really covered in the series.  One spell Swift does is to hold a monster made of rubbish that's trying to kill him involves him crossing over the gate at the tube and holding the creature in place while shouting out the small-print of his rail card). 
The Aldermen - guardians of London, wield the power of the Dragon of London (Kelly turns up in book 4.  She is glorious). 
There's a variety of magically powered gangs as well, but again, its been a while since I've read the books, though there's bikers who can travel a lot faster than they should, graffiti artists who's art can become alive, and a few others. 

Magicals Anonymous (same universe as Matthew Swift, but different main character.)
Shaman - the main character from Magicals Anonymous is a shaman.  Gains knowledge by walking through a city.  Can walk through walls.
Magicals Anonymous itself - a support group for those who have magical abilities (including a hypochondriac vampire, a troll who enjoys cooking, a banshee with a voice that can shatter eardrums who appreciates fine art (and uses a white-board to communicate), a necromancer (the nicest one I've ever read as well), a woman who when nervous, spontaneously turns into pigeons...)

Offline blackstaff67

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 12:44:59 AM »
Even the female ones?  What does an officer's gender have to do with whether or not they're armed?

Also, in London, only something like 20% of officers are authorized to carry firearms.  They all have tasers, but only specially trained units are authorized to use them in anything but self defense.
I'd heard a rumor that the female Brits officers didn't carry one.  As this was a rumor, it's why I asked more informed people.  If I came off as ignorant, it's because I am ignorant regarding Brit police customs.

Back on track with books/settings I try to borrow from, I rather like to steal ideas from Lee Child's Jack Reacher series and throw in paranormal stuff.  Don't laugh, they dovetail rather nicely (Especially when White Court Vampire involvement is factored into some of the less savory things Reacher encounters).  House Raith for the sex trade, Houses Skavis and Malvora for prisons, certain militias high-crime neighbor hoods, all expanding to take advantage of recent events, plus the last of the Red Court Dukes trying to make a comeback.   
And that's not including Warlock influence.

When that fails, I sometimes borrow from popular fiction like Patterson or Baldacci.  Baldacci's The Forgotten, while a bit melodramatic, can easily be tweaked to fit into any campaign with significant WCV influence--especially if multiple Houses are allied (rival vampires helping the PC's?).
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 12:59:32 AM by blackstaff67 »
My Purity score: 37.2.  Sad.

Offline Shaft

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 01:45:24 AM »
Our group has used it for:
-Strikeback (a totally non-magical game about counter terrorists based on the BBC/Cinemax TV show; everyone is pure mortal),
-Gargoyles (based on the Disney cartoon, set in medieval Ireland), 
-XCOM (not the alien bashing video game, but a heroic BPRD style agency (like the one Hellboy works for) that fights Cthulu-esque Chaos gods in a secret war),
-Mitsy the Vampire Slayer (based on Buffy),
-Star Wars (we use the Light Side and the Dark Side of the Force as Sponsored Magic; The Dark Side has a Hunger Track)
-Torchwood 1 (The Briths anti-alien agency from Dr Who; this is the rebuilt London unit)
-TORGpunk: a cyber punk game set in 2050 where magic is slowly starting to return

In some cases, we've adapted rules from FATE core as well, but it was Dresden that got us on the system originally and we tend to use the Powers/Skills with minor variations. Unpowered "mortals" tend to get the +2 Refresh bonus for buying extra stunts.

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 01:55:37 PM »
If you add supertech rules it works REALLY well for Gargoyles, actually.

Offline narphoenix

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 02:44:17 PM »
If you add supertech rules it works REALLY well for Gargoyles, actually.

Supertech?
GMing:

Paranet 2250

Avatar from Scarfgirl and TheOtherChosenOne of Deviantart

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2014, 01:04:25 PM »
Supertech?

Gargoyles had anthropomorphic AI robots, lasers, cyberpunk style enhancements, genetic engineering and mutation of currently living things, cloning...

So you'd need rules not just for magic (which it had and DF works well for), artifacts (IoP) and monsters (powers), but also for that psuedo-scientific stuff.