Author Topic: The Paranet Papers  (Read 3529 times)

Offline mrwakka

• Participant
    • View Profile
The Paranet Papers
« on: December 06, 2013, 11:12:39 PM »
Last update I could find on this was in the first half of this year, has there been any update on if this supplement is still being done? The most recent update I could find seemed to suggest it was done except for the art, but nothing has been said for months since.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: The Paranet Papers
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 07:04:44 AM »
I haven't heard anything. Given how much work Evil Hat has been doing on Fate Core, I wouldn't be surprised to hear that it's been set aside for the time being.

But I don't really know. You may want to contact Evil Hat directly.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 08:24:17 PM »
... You may want to contact Evil Hat directly.
  Or maybe it's time for Evil Hat to mention how things are going with this project?
I can say (with absolute certainty!) that mrwakka isn't the only one who wants to know...  ;)

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 11:30:09 PM »
"[Paranet Papers is] in preliminary layout, then will see a few months of art acquisition before it can go to print."-Evil Hat's response on their FB page, 8-10-13.

Offline Chee

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, 02:28:28 AM »
Iago said 2014 to the person who asked in the official press release thread that's stickied up at the top of the board. Does that count?

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 08:11:52 AM »
@InFerrumVeritas:
"a few months" -- back in August -- might suggest that "any day now" is when it'll be out... or not.  :o

@Chee:
Yeah, I guess "2014" counts...  But it doesn't count very high:  awfully indeterminate, eh?

Still, these may be the best estimates.  Even Evil Hat may not know, if they're still waiting on artists' work, possible feedback from Jim, negotiating with printers about various things, etc etc etc...  Thanks to you both for finding these!

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 12:01:56 PM »
EH is one of the best-communicating companies I have ever seen. It's a safe bet that if they had more precise information, they'd give it. Patience.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Chee

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 05:21:52 PM »
@g33k

I know a guy who did some of the layout work for them on the Fate Core stuff, and that stuff can take a while. With a project like the Paranet Papers the workload has got to be huge. Everything has to fit and be scaled right and so on. Lots of little pieces to get perfect. That's a hard thing to put a time table on, so its hard to blame them. And then they have to do the art, and every artiest I've met has been a special kind of crazy.

As long as it gets done eventually, and looks awesome, then I'm a happy camper.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 05:23:18 PM »
The latest from Iago:  http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,15473.0.html#lastPost (the takeaway is "several months from going to the printers" for anyone not wanting to follow the link... anyone?  Or am I talking to an empty room, since everyone just DID follow the link...?  ;D  ) .

Offline Blk4ce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2013, 10:47:43 PM »
What are the Paranet Papers?

Offline Cadd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2013, 12:52:44 AM »
What are the Paranet Papers?
This is all what I've understood it to be, nothing I'm 100% sure of.
The Paranet Papers are a number of smaller updates a book* updating the setting part of the game, to "catch up" with later books. The printed books include information up to and including Small Favor, but the books after that show us some fairly cool things with the setting, introduces new weird foes (like the Fomor) and generally shake up the world quite a bit, both on the global and personal scales. The Paranet Papers is supposed to give RPG takes on some of that, and probably expand on some stuff we've found out more about. (I'm thinking that Ghost Story expanded our knowledge of ghosts quite a bit, Cold Days gave us a info on the Sidhe Courts and their Knights aswell as a bit more about Outsiders etc)

*Edit: I had for some reason gotten the idea that it was supposed to be several small publications, like the pre-made stories, but looking at the sneak peeks it seems to be one book which makes a lot more sense.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 01:50:48 AM by Cadd »

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2013, 07:59:01 AM »
... updating the setting part of the game, to "catch up" with later books. The printed books include information up to and including Small Favor, but the books after that show us some fairly cool things with the setting, introduces new weird foes (like the Fomor) and generally shake up the world quite a bit, both on the global and personal scales. The Paranet Papers is supposed to give RPG takes on some of that, and probably expand on some stuff we've found out more about. (I'm thinking that Ghost Story expanded our knowledge of ghosts quite a bit, Cold Days gave us a info on the Sidhe Courts and their Knights aswell as a bit more about Outsiders etc)
Yeah, this.
But IIRC, that foul reprobate Butcher just kept writing Dresden fiction after Evil Hat had to finish the draft and let the playtesters and such get it... so at least the most recent novel or two are still not included...

Offline Cadd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2013, 11:20:45 AM »
I'm hoping it'll be up to at least Ghost Story (Otherwise it's just two books and maybe some short stories they're covering really).I'd really love it if Cold Days info was included, but I doubt it... :/

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2013, 12:39:15 AM »
I'm the guy that asked about Paranet Papers publishing date. I think they make a good supplement to novels. Helps to keep track of minor characters and see possible WAGs.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline Todjaeger

• Conversationalist
  • Dresden Files Alpha Burn Playtester
    • View Profile
    • Butchered New Haven campaign site
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2013, 03:00:42 AM »
I'm hoping it'll be up to at least Ghost Story (Otherwise it's just two books and maybe some short stories they're covering really).I'd really love it if Cold Days info was included, but I doubt it... :/

It is supposed to have some updated information from the novels, including an update of Harry as a character which there was a design contest on here for.  The winner was announced a couple of months back and they get their name(s) in the book plus a free copy of the book once it comes out.

IIRC there is also supposed to be additional setting material, like the Russian Revolution and the 'spooky side' of that, along with some stats for the late Senior Council member Simon Petravich (sp?) and possibly the Brute Squad of Archangel.  There might also be one or two locations within the Nevernever which make an appearance as well.
Kill the Child, Doom the World...  Or is it, Kill the Child, Save the World?

Dresden Files Purity test: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

My results: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity-result.html?55:70:18:23:6:6:17:26:11:27:11:37:14:41:20:28:3:5: