Author Topic: 1st time DM questions  (Read 6855 times)

Offline narphoenix

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: 1st time DM questions
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2013, 07:59:45 PM »
Of course -- I phrased that badly, implying otherwise!

I looked up the rule (YS p.206) and I see that I was mistaken, sort of.  It's not specifically that the winning party gets to negotiate the terms of the concession -- the entire GROUP at the table has to agree to it.  The conceding player, the player whose PC won, and everyone else too.

I guess this implies that the terms of such negotiations had best be pre-agreed-to by the group... does a simple majority vote "ratify" a concession?  Can the "winner" veto any insufficiently-victorious-to-them concession?  Does the GM get any special vote or narrative power?  Etc...

Given that the /group/ has to agree to it, RAW would state that there cannot be a single person who doesn't want the concession.
GMing:

Paranet 2250

Avatar from Scarfgirl and TheOtherChosenOne of Deviantart

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2013, 08:24:34 PM »
Given that the /group/ has to agree to it, RAW would state that there cannot be a single person who doesn't want the concession.
Though that assumes you have a group of people who are all reasonable all the time. And we all know how often that happens. ;)

Sometimes you just don't want bad things to happen to your character, but the dice are against you, its late and you had a bad day and all good intentions go right out the window. That happens, and that's not a good thing, but to get the game moving again, the GM can invoke his role as the final arbiter and just make a ruling, if a consensus can't be reached. Or maybe a break is in order.

But in a well oiled gaming group, situations like that should be relatively few. Nearly anything is subject to negotiation, but taken out results and concessions are the main things, I think. If someone is not satisfied with the outcome, the concern should be stated as clearly as possible, so it can be changed accordingly. "I don't like it" isn't going to get you anywhere near a solution. Again, communication is key, like with any RPG really, but some of the mechanics of Fate actually require and encourage it.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2013, 09:37:00 PM »
When you mentioned story prototypes, I remembered, that we had a similar thread not too long ago. Not all tips in there are good, but there is a lot of useful stuff in that thread.

http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,39211.0.html
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal