Author Topic: Writing Gigs, part three.  (Read 8083 times)

Offline Kristine

• Posty McPostington
  • You can have your own truth, not your own facts
    • View Profile
Re: Writing Gigs, part three.
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2014, 02:50:32 PM »

VAMPIRE SCRIPTS WANTED IN CONTEMPORARY SETTING

-----------------------------------------------------
    Canyon Pictures - Seeking Unique Vampire Scripts

We are looking for completed, feature-length, contemporary vampire scripts that are unique and innovative.

Budget will not exceed $1 million. WGA and non-WGA writers may submit.

Our credits include "The Fallen."

TO SUBMIT:
    1. Please go to www.InkTippro.com/leads
    2. Enter your email address (you will be signing up for InkTip's newsletter - FREE!)
    3. Copy/Paste this code:  0bwg1q1qmz
    4. You will be submitting a logline and synopsis only.

IMPORTANT:  Please ONLY submit your work if it fits what the lead is looking for EXACTLY.
"When I was 5 years old my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when i grew up. I wrote down “Happy”. They told me i didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. "
-John Lennon-

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2014, 06:48:31 PM »
Hey all, some writing contests for April.

3 APRIL WRITING CONTESTS
WritersMarket.com lists hundreds of contests for writers of fiction, nonfiction, poetry, writing for children, and more. Here are three with April deadlines:

Event Nonfiction Contest is offered annually for the best previously unpublished creative nonfiction (up to 5,000 words). Judges either award three $500 prizes or two $750 prizes, plus publication. Deadline: April 15.

Jack Dyer Fiction Prize is offered annually for previously unpublished short fiction (up to 6,000 words). Top prize is $2,000 and publication in Crab Orchard Review. Deadline: April 21.

The Pablo Neruda Prize for Poetry offers a $2,000 top prize and $1,000 runner-up prize. Poets submit 3-10 pages of previously unpublished poetry. Deadline: April 30.

Bonus contest! Writer's Digest Self-Published Book Awards has an early bird registration deadline of April 1. The grand prize for this competition is $3,000, a trip to New York City, promotion in Writer's Digest magazine, and so much more. Plus, there are several additional prizes, including nine first place awards (in separate categories) of $1,000 and much more.

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2014, 12:33:08 AM »
Cool new submission video call from the press that is publishing my work. Come take a peek!

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+ThepoisonedpencilYAmystery/posts
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2014, 10:24:09 PM »
3 MAGAZINES OPEN TO NEW WRITERS

WritersMarket.com lists more than 1,000 magazines for writers of fiction, nonfiction, poetry, writing for children, and more. Here are three open to new writers:

Alaska covers topics that are uniquely Alaskan. Published 10 times per year, this regional magazine pays $100-1,250 for appropriate nonfiction articles of 100-2,000 words. Writers should query via mail or e-mail.

Gray's Sporting Journal is a unique hunting and fishing title in that it covers the topic with a more literary slant. This magazine publishes 7 times per year and pays $600-1,000 for fiction and nonfiction. Potential contributors should submit the complete manuscript via e-mail.

Remodeling is a monthly magazine covering residential and light commercial remodeling. The magazine pays $1 per word for nonfiction pieces of 250-1,000 words. Prospective writers should query with published clips.

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2014, 08:23:43 PM »
3 MAY WRITING CONTESTS
WritersMarket.com lists hundreds of contests for writers of fiction, nonfiction, poetry, writing for children, and more. Here are three with May deadlines:

* The Dorothy Churchill Cappon Creative Nonfiction Award is offered annually for the best previously unpublished creative nonfiction (up to 8,000 words). Top prize is $1,500, plus publication. Deadline: May 18.

* David Nathan Meyerson Prize for Fiction is offered annually for previously unpublished short fiction (up to 8,000 words). Top prize is $1,000 and publication in the Southwest Review. Deadline: May 1.

* Writer's Digest Writing Competition offers a $3,000 grand prize, in addition to several cash prizes in 10 different categories (including poetry, fiction, nonfiction, and more). Early bird deadline: May 5.

* Bonus contest! Remixing the World's Problems has a deadline of May 15. This one-time challenge has a $500 top prize and is for the best "remix" of a poem (or poems) from the poetry collection Solving the World's Problems.

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2014, 01:24:57 AM »
Here's more new markets, folks.

3 BOOK PUBLISHERS LOOKING FOR WRITERS
WritersMarket.com lists hundreds of book publishers for writers of fiction, nonfiction, poetry, writing for children, and more. Here are three open to submissions:

* Academy Chicago Publishers publishes 10 titles per year. They publish literary fiction and nonfiction. Submit a query with 3 sample chapters and outline.

* Chronicle Books publishes 90 titles per year. The editors say, "We're always looking for the new and unusual." Prospective authors should submit a cover letter with a proposal package.

* Lee & Low Books publishes 12-14 titles per year. The house currently emphasizes fiction and nonfiction for 5- to 12-year-olds. Prospective authors should submit a complete manuscript by postal mail.

Offline Kristine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2014, 05:27:40 AM »
    SCRIPTS WANTED WITH STRONG FEMALE LEAD

Chaos Productions - Seeking Female-Led Genre Scripts

We are looking for completed, feature-length action, thriller, sci-fi or fantasy scripts led by strong female protagonists.  We are NOT open to comedy or drama submissions at this point in time.

Please note: we are not looking for something with a female co-lead of a male protagonist or anything that can be "easily adapted to fit," please only pitch screenplays with a clear, actual female protagonist.

Budget will not exceed $10million. Both WGA and Non-WGA writers may submit.

Our credits include "Spike" (2008) and "Raze" (2013).

TO SUBMIT:
    2. Enter your email address (you will be signing up for InkTip's newsletter - FREE!)
    3. Copy/Paste this code:  fapsyfxsde

IMPORTANT:  Please ONLY submit your work if it fits what the lead is looking for EXACTLY.

If you aren't sure if your submission fits, please ask InkTip first.  Be sure to mention you heard about this from Jeff Gund at INFOLIST.com and please email any questions to:
    jerrol@inktip.com
"When I was 5 years old my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when i grew up. I wrote down “Happy”. They told me i didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. "
-John Lennon-

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2014, 04:38:44 PM »
Some new writing contests.

3 JULY WRITING CONTESTS

WritersMarket.com lists hundreds of contests for writers of fiction, nonfiction, poetry, writing for children, and more. Here are three with July deadlines:

Bard Fiction Prize is offered annually by Bard College for a fiction writer aged 39 or younger. Top prize is $30,000, plus designation as writer-in-residence for one semester. Deadline: July 15.

Crab Orchard Series in Poetry First Book Award is offered annually for the best first collection of poetry. Top prize is $4,000 and publication. Deadline: July 8.

Rattle Poetry Prize offers an annual prize for the best previously unpublished poem. There is a $5,000 grand prize, in addition to ten finalist prizes of $100. Deadline: July 15.

Offline Kristine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2014, 11:12:02 AM »
SWORD & SORCERY / ACTION ADVENTURE SCRIPTS WANTED

The Cadre Ent. - Seeking Sword and Sorcery Scripts

We are looking for completed, feature-length "sword and sorcery" action/adventure/fantasy scripts, i.e. scripts in the vein of "Lord of the Rings," "The Chronicles of Narnia," or "Harry Potter."

Budget has yet to be determined. WGA & non-WGA writers may submit.

Our credits include "The Cover-Up."

TO SUBMIT:
3. Copy/Paste this code:  brkfx5dq33

-John Lennon-

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2014, 03:56:36 PM »
Kristin, just how hard is it to switch from novel format to script? I've no idea of what the format should even look like. I do know that you leave creative space for the directors and actors and to stick primarily to the dialog with little in the way of description. (Sort of like picture book authors have to leave tons of room for the illustrator.) Other than that? I've no idea. Is there a good manual on this maybe? Sample scripts that you'd recommend on style? Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 04:08:17 PM by meg_evonne »

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2014, 06:56:24 PM »
Hey Meg,
  It's Snowleopard.
  Having had a couple of scriptwriting classes and written a couple of scripts - I highly
recommend the following book.  I have it in my library along with Michael Strazinsky's book
on writing scripts.
  http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Guide-Standard-Script-Formats/dp/0929583000

Scripting is a whole nuther ball of wax from writing prose.
  You have to be way more succinct than in prose.
  One page approximately equals one minute of air time.
  If you've got any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Offline Kristine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2014, 07:41:13 PM »
I've been told this one is the one to get - http://www.amazon.com/Save-Last-Book-Screenwriting-Youll/dp/1932907009/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1404588774&sr=8-1&keywords=save+the+cat  -

Blake Snyder is a working, selling writer himself, so that gives the reader a true inside glimpse into what it's like, what it takes, and what to expect on the long road to screenwriting stardom. Many screenwriting how-to tomes are written by guys and gals who have few or no real studio credits, so with this book you can be sure you are getting the info direct from the source of a successful member of the Hollywood elite.

Snyder starts out with a bang, describing how important a good title, pitch and concept are, and giving tons of useful advise for whipping those log lines into shape, the best shape ever in fact, for as the author points out, many industry powerbrokers won't even look beyond a log line...so it better be good. Damned good. He then discusses how to make your story like everything else out there, only different, and if you can come to understand that paradox, you will be a success indeed.

We also learn about the importance of creating characters that fit certain archetypes, like the hero and the villain, and how the use of Jungian archetypes can help you shape and mold real people that resonate with the audience. Also covered is the importance of knowing your genre and how to best amplify the style of that genre.

Another chapter deals with the author's own system of breaking a script down to 15 beats, and how every successful movie fits this same beat system. We also learn the art of building scenes and the use of those wonderful index cards for moving and changing scene progression, as well as following the basic rules of a great story, rewriting and reshaping the script, and of course, what the heck to do with the darned thing once you've finished. I really appreciated the glossary of screenwriting and industry terminology, something every writer should know (or at least pretend to know in meetings).

Although this book does follow the mold of many other screenwriting books before it, focusing both on writing and marketing the script and including summaries and exercises for the reader to expand their understanding, the difference that makes this book stand out is the honesty and directness of the author in giving the reader every best chance to comprehend and conquer the inner and outer workings of screenwriting. "Save the Cat" (I'll let you find out what the title means on your own!) doesn't hold back on doling out the solid advise, and presents it in a way that will not only inspire screenwriters, but also make them more aware of just how hard it really is to succeed. No sugar-coating here, but plenty of motivation and great info packed into one book.

Customer Reviews(616)
4.5 out of 5 stars
5 star    460
4 star    72
3 star    34
2 star    24
1 star    26
-John Lennon-

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2014, 06:38:14 AM »
Some more new writing contests.

3 AUGUST WRITING CONTESTS

WritersMarket.com lists hundreds of contests for writers of fiction, nonfiction, poetry, writing for children, and more. Here are three with August deadlines:

Aesthetica Creative Works Competition is offered to talented writers of fiction and poetry. Top prize in each category (Fiction and Poetry) is £500. Deadline: August 31.

Gival Press Short Story Award is offered annually for the best previously unpublished short story. Top prize is $1,000 and publication. Deadline: August 8.

Jessie Bryce Niles Memorial Chapbook is offered for the best previously unpublished chapbook of poetry. The winner receives $1,000, publication of chapbook, and 50 copies. Deadline: August 1.

Bonus contest! Writer's Digest Self-Published e-Book Awards is an annual prize for the best self-published e-book. There are a variety of categories, including mainstream/literary fiction, genre fiction, nonfiction, inspirational, life stories, children's picture books, middle-grade/young adult books, and poetry. There is one grand prize of $3,000 cash, featured interview in Writer's Digest magazine, and more! Each category winner also receives $1,000 cash, recognition in Writer's Digest magazine, and more! Early-bird deadline: August 1.

Offline Kristine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2014, 02:23:02 AM »
SCI-FI SCRIPTS WANTED  - HIGH CONCEPT

Thunderbolt Entertainment - Seeking High-Concept Sci-Fi Scripts

We are looking for completed, feature-length, high-concept sci-fi scripts with highly original concepts and compelling characters.  By high-concept, we mean material where you're able to pitch the hook for your story in one sentence or less.

Budget is open. Both WGA and Non-WGA writers may submit.

Our credits include "Stitch" (starring Edward Furlong and Shawna Waldron), which we discovered through InkTip.

TO SUBMIT:
3. Copy/Paste this code:  55qdpm3bju

-John Lennon-