Author Topic: Number of Foci Questions  (Read 1018 times)

Offline blackstaff67

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Number of Foci Questions
« on: November 01, 2013, 05:28:05 PM »
For the sake of argument, we take a wizard with two slot open for Foci, has elements Earth, Wind, Fire.  Can that Wizard have a Foci for each element ("This one is +2 to Offensive power for Fire, this is +1 Offensive/Defensive Control for Earth, this one's +2 Defensive Power for Wind.").  I hate to sound like a goober, but the rules merely say what your Foci slots are but do not tell whether or not there is a limit to the number of Foci you can have:  Only their respective strengths, representing the ability of the Wizard to create such an item.  If that's the case, then assuming the Wizard in question has time to do so, s/he can change between Foci ("I'm gonna need the +2 to Defensive Control for this one.") for situations--rather like a golfer selecting his clubs.

And no, I don't want spellslingers bedecked with foci, just wondering if, say, one foci per element absent of a harder ruling than mine be allowed, or if it's even abusive and game-breaking.  Maybe a Stunt is called for here (Crafting or Lore, perhaps), to allow for multiple foci?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 05:32:28 PM by blackstaff67 »
My Purity score: 37.2.  Sad.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
Re: Number of Foci Questions
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 05:41:56 PM »
A focus slot is a limited resource. If you have a focus item "+1 to offensive power for fire", that occupies 1 focus item slot. The same item wit a +2 bonus occupies 2 focus item slots. If you only have 2 focus item slots, you can not take more focus items than that. Not because you can't carry them, but because they take constant maintenance, and you need to be really good (i.e. have more refinement invested in focus item slots) to be able to keep up more focus items.

Changing focus items is possible at minor milestones. Once chosen, you are usually locked into that choice until the next minor milestone. If you let the wizard have a golf cart full of focus items, you are effectively raising his casting skills by 1 or 2, because he can always have the right focus at hand.

You could, of course, have a bag of magical items with you that you use to cast spells, but they wouldn't give you any mechanical benefits like real focus items do, they would just be fluff.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 05:47:14 PM »
If he's got 2 slots available, that's all he gets.  2.

He can choose one element at +2 or two at +1.

I feel that I'm misunderstanding your question.

He cant have more than that.  He can change them between adventures.  So he wouldn't be allowed to tote around multiple foci for different elements unless he has the extra slots for them.

Ninjad by haru

Offline blackstaff67

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 04:53:07 AM »
Got it, just wanted an explanation. 
My Purity score: 37.2.  Sad.