Author Topic: Beginnings  (Read 18052 times)

Offline blgarver

• Conversationalist
  • There are three things all wise men fear...
    • View Profile
    • Video Samples
Re: Beginnings
« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2006, 09:52:22 PM »
Since someone just posted the opening lines from a NIPP (mine are only in perpetual progress cause I keep getting ideas for other bloody stories), here's the opening from one of mine.

A town burned.

Awesome, awesome opening line. 

One my all time favorite opening lines, one which sent a chill down my spine the first time I read it, and continues to as it periodically echoes in my head, is the first line of Stephen King's The Gunslinger;

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

That's from memory, and I bet it's to the letter if you looked it up.  You know it's good if you can read it once and remember it like it was your own.  I read that book probably 2 years ago, and haven't looked at that line since.

Openings are my favorite parts to write.  It's the Swampy Middle that discourages me.
I'm a videographer by trade.  Check out my work if you're a writer that needs to procrastinate.  Not as good as Rhett and Link, but I do what I can.
http://vimeo.com/user1855060/videos

Offline trboturtle

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Trboturtle's writing pad
« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2006, 04:01:42 AM »
Actually, this is an opening line for a novel that would be third in a seriesI'm planning (Right now, only the first one is 60% plotted)

The mind is a funny thing. My thoughts as I was flung backwards was not 'this is going to hurt,' or 'how did this happen?'. No, it was 'when I get my hands on that Elf, I am going to have fun bouncing his head off the floor.'

Craig
Author of 25+ stories for Battlecorps.com, the official website for Battletech canon stories.
Co-author of "Outcasts Ops: African Firestorm," "Outcast Ops: Red Ice," & "Outcast Ops: Watchlist"
http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com

Offline Ghoulfish

• Conversationalist
  • What the Hell is a personal text????
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2006, 02:22:42 AM »
The tale of two cities begging just confused me to the point that I wont ever read it again

I was like just make up your mind already and show me some plot

seriously i think that charlse dickons was on p*t

(no not poot)

trboturtle - thats an awesome first line - send me the rough draft please
ps also like your username - my turtles are proud

www.BigDamnZine.com - Bringing the Browncoat movement to print

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2006, 09:40:39 PM »
I do not, in general, like hook beginnings. Some stories want a hook, and some want a net. Mind you, I'm OCDish enough that I have only once that I can remember since 1990 not finished a novel that I started.  Your milage may vary - and probably does, because I think in kilometres.

Three opening paragraph(ish)s of mine:

--
To tell a tale should be a simple thing.  They are not little deeds, these
of which I write.  To set down heroic acts as they occurred, one after the other
in order from beginning to end, should be enough to bring into being a romance
fit to fire a dead man's heart.  And yet it is not.  Before quill touch scroll
or spell of remembrance mark the world, there are a thousand thousand decisions
to be made.  I have cursed my tale and consigned it to perdition in yonder fire
more times than you would well credit, and yet.  And yet.  The story must be
told.  I do not doubt that some wretched poxy half-telling of those times has
made its way to your ear - minstrels will earn their drink on it until all
worlds' end, and with no more of truth in their recitals than in any other
tawdry ballad told over a fire.  I wish my tale to shine forth true and bright
as steel, and find myself at once perplexed.
--

There had been thirty thousand humans on the Cyrano de Bergerac when it arrived in this system; thirty thousand individuals of that extroverted, fascinating, endlessly strange species had come to live on the planet which they named Elysium, a hundred and fifty Earth years and nearly two hundred of the planet's own in the past. DeepSight had no idea how many more lives thirty thousand humans might bring into being over that span of time, with a whole planet to fill, but the number would not be small.

According to the signals there were twenty-eight of them left alive in the Elysium system.
--
They think they understand it, now, this Secretary of State Linebarger and his bleedin' shadow soldiers. They give me these books to read and take my notes and comments as if it mattered. They think they know where it began and why it came out this way and why the rats are here in the Big Apple after my hide, after so long. And maybe they do. But they weren't there at the beginning, and I was, before anyone knew who Onkel Adolf was, before the Iron Moons and Mosley and the Bomb and everything. To listen to them, you'd think it was that poor mad bastard in Serbia who set the course of the twentieth century, but I was there ten years later when the shot came that really changed history, shivering in the rain on Upper Mount Street in ratty old pants and boots way too big for me, in O'Sullivan's squad that had made a bollocks of things as usual, waiting for word from the Big Fella to tell us what to do next. Seemed so little at the time, just another street fight in a city full of street fighting, but I remember it, oh yes; March 22nd in the year of Our Lord nineteen hundred and twenty-eight, at half-past ten in the morning. I was there the day Jack Kennedy died.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 09:43:00 PM by neurovore »
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Abstruse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace Page
« Reply #49 on: December 27, 2006, 05:03:53 PM »
I remember reading in some how to write mysteries book that one of the authors in it thought that almost any rough draft worked better with the first sentence/paragraph removed, making the first line have more impact. 

"The car slowed down as it pulled in front of me, the driver rolling down his window as he leaned out.  The gunmetal glinted in the light as the barrel focused in on me."  Would this work as an introductory paragraph of Chapter 5?  Sure.  But cut that first sentence out and the opening line looks a lot stronger without the description in front of it.

The Abstruse One
Darryl Mott Jr.

Offline blgarver

• Conversationalist
  • There are three things all wise men fear...
    • View Profile
    • Video Samples
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2007, 10:58:48 PM »
I remember reading in some how to write mysteries book that one of the authors in it thought that almost any rough draft worked better with the first sentence/paragraph removed, making the first line have more impact. 

"The car slowed down as it pulled in front of me, the driver rolling down his window as he leaned out.  The gunmetal glinted in the light as the barrel focused in on me."  Would this work as an introductory paragraph of Chapter 5?  Sure.  But cut that first sentence out and the opening line looks a lot stronger without the description in front of it.

The Abstruse One
Darryl Mott Jr.

Interesting.  I think I like this technique.  I might try it with my current project.
I'm a videographer by trade.  Check out my work if you're a writer that needs to procrastinate.  Not as good as Rhett and Link, but I do what I can.
http://vimeo.com/user1855060/videos