Author Topic: Powers for the really high-end guys  (Read 4220 times)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Powers for the really high-end guys
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2013, 06:31:38 AM »
1. I'm not seeing how this drawback hits you even if you don't use the power. Unless you've conceded my point about compels not being cost-neutral?

The -2 penalty isn't part of the Compel, it's part of the Power. It shouldn't be counted as part of a Compel's troublesomeness.

Incidentally, I still don't get what you were talking about re: Compels. Since Compel troublesomeness is totally up to the GM, shouldn't you assume that the GM sets it to whichever amount makes for a balanced game?

2. Except, as I showed in my quotes, it's not just Kemmlerian Necromancy. It's also Hellfire and Place of Power. And since Seelie and Unseelie Magic essentially give +3 power to offensive evocations against the opposing court, they can be just as good in a game centered around the faerie courts.

My apologies, my eyes skipped right over most of your quote. I saw the necromancy bit and somehow managed to miss the rest.

I contend that +1 power +1 control to a specific field is worth 1 Refresh, because that exact effect costs 1 Refresh when you buy it with Refinement. Hellfire's bonus is similar since it applies to both Evocation and Thaumaturgy, though the thaumaturgy bonus is kind of lame.

And about the specializations thing - I don't think so. It gives a bonus to necromancy- just as Hellfire gives a bonus to spells that harm and the specific Place of Power gives the bonus to entropic effects. Whereas, with Refinement, you have to pick from earth, water, fire, air, or spirit.

Nope. Read the book again. Necromancy is a standard Thaumaturgy specialization, and Evocation bonuses are only "usually" elemental.

If you rule that these effects must be part of the pyramid, how on earth do you calculate them? What if you use these effect-based specializations as the base of your pyramid, with element-based specializations on top, and you cast a spell that doesn't have those effects?

The only effect-based specialization is Hellfire's. Which is a bit of an oddity, and which might actually deserve to ignore the pyramid since +1 complexity to hurtful rituals is a pretty uninspiring half-benefit. The others are standard field specializations.

Also, since I'm not seeing it, could you explain how being able to do thaumaturgy effects in combat is actually superior to not being able to?

First of all, you can make multiple Aspects easily with one spell.

Second, you get some weird tricks like being able to arm your friends or summon a monster during a fight. Those tricks can be pretty powerful if your GM is permissive, or pretty weak if they're not.

Third, you can unambiguously make mental attacks and hit skills other than Athletics with your attacks. Whether you can do this with just Evocation is unclear.

Fourth, you can replace skills in combat time. So if you need to outrun a monster or unlock a door while being shot at, you can use a spell to do it.

Fifth, you can increase the accuracy of your attacks by taking backlash. Usually won't be worth sacrificing your weapon rating, but options are good.

Sixth, you can do more and weirder stuff to your opponents. Evocation almost certainly can't turn enemies into slaves, evothaum can.

Seventh, you can cast rituals in quick succession while doing other stuff. If you can casually crank out 7 shifts of summoning evothaum, you can make four 7-shift creatures per scene of talking. Just take a minute or two for a "smoke break" and cast four spells.

Eighth, you can boost your complexity for a ward or whatever by taking stress. If you need to cast something a couple of points over your base complexity without too much fuss, this can be handy.

Ninth, you may have a better power for evothaum than you have complexity for rituals. Especially if your GM makes you use Evocation specializations with evothaum.

I could probably come up with more, but nine points seems like enough. Many of these are minor, but collectively they're definitely worth Refresh.

Offline Locnil

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2013, 10:27:58 AM »
Apologies for late reply. I was extremely busy with exams these last few weeks and they only just finished - on my birthday, too!  :D

1. I was referring to the fact that if you just not talk about your visions, the drawback doesn't hit you at all. Likewise if you just ignore them outright. Having C'sT is strictly superior to not having it in that regard.

And yeah, that's pretty much my stance on compels now. Kinda. Now that I think about it, I'm not sure what you're getting at.

2. What happened to keeping context in mind and not balancing things in a silo? That's what you get with Refinement, yes, but only once. After that, it's sharply diminishing returns. But as I think you pointed out, this ultimately falls down to a GM ruling, since Evil Hat refuses to clarify stuff like this.

3. I think I get where you're coming from. We're just going to have to disagree, since this is yet another thing where different assumptions can't be conclusively resolved. With regards to your 8th point though, declarations are free, and are as simple as rolling a skill. This is one of those few statements conclusively supported by the book.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2013, 10:38:37 AM »
1. Gonna be honest, I don't really remember what I was getting at with the Compel thing. It's been a while. Sorry about that.

Anyway, I think never talking about your visions is probably a drawback in its own right. Though this does depend on the same assumptions I was making earlier in the thread.

2. I am keeping context in mind. But I'm operating under the interpretation that specializations from Sponsored Magic must obey normal pyramid rules.

3. Yes, Declarations are free. But that doesn't mean that complexity bonuses are worthless.

Offline Locnil

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2013, 05:56:41 PM »
3. Yes, Declarations are free. But that doesn't mean that complexity bonuses are worthless.
You have to admit though, they come ridiculously close. Speaking of which, I've been toying with some houserules for restoring value to thaumaturgic bonuses that actually make them worth half a refresh each. If I end up posting it later, would you mind taking a look at them?

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2013, 06:31:22 PM »
Sure, I'd be glad to look at your houserules.

Offline Locnil

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2013, 05:46:40 PM »
Since I can't make the full mini-essay on this I wanted, I'd just post the general idea I had here.

Basically, excess complexity reduces control. For every multiple of your base complexity beyond the first, you suffer a cumulative -1 penalty to your control roll. Base complexity is calculated by taking your Lore (or other skill if you have a stunt that swaps it out) and adding foci and specialization bonuses, in addition to anything other bonuses granted by stunts or powers. Basically, if you paid refresh for it, it counts as a bonus to base complexity.

For example, Voormas the wizard had a Lore and Discipline of 4, a focus granting +1 control and complexity to entropy rituals, and a +2 complexity bonus to entropy rituals from Refinement. He also has an essentially infinite number of declarations to make, since they're free. There fore, his base complexity is 7, and control is 5. He can thus use complexity 7 rituals pretty much at will, so long as he is careful to add only one shift of complexity an exchange. How ever, once his complexity gets into the 8-14 range through the use of declarations or taking consequences, he now has to deal with a control of just 4, meaning that even if he somehow only adds one shift an exchange, there is now a chance (approximately 1/81, just enough to make it risky but not overly so) that he will roll a -4, resulting in the ritual blowing up in his face. It gets exponentially worse once the ritual gets a complexity of 15-21, with a -2 penalty, and so on.

The intent behind this is such: This way, bonuses to thaumaturgy control and complexity are actually useful. RAW, once control gets to 5, other boosts are pretty much worthless. Complexity bonuses are never worth it, since you can just keep rolling declarations. This negates those points - control now serves as a soft cap on how powerful your rituals can get - fitting perfectly into the fluff -and complexity bonuses are still incredibly useful as a force multiplier, even with infinite declarations. Better still, due to the way the mechanics interact, both are arguably equal to each other at all points, since effective max complexity is (control-4) x base complexity, with the option to use fate points to take it further. Therefore, for the best results, roughly equal weight needs to be given to both control and complexity (with perhaps a slightly greater emphasis on control at the beginning).

This also allows for the GM to keep with the book's idea of double-digit complexity rituals as being powerful, without having to worry about the ease with which spellcasters can achieve them RAW. It also free him to establish harder, crunchier rules for what thaumaturgy can do, such as your custom summoning houserules, without worrying too much about the casters abusing them by maxing out complexity to unreasonable levels. Furthermore, it allows thaumaturgy-focused builds to be a valid choice - for example, to make a Binder-style character with a bunch of stunts and powers boosting summoning control and complexity, to truly build Binder as portrayed in the book, without making a build that is either horribly suboptimal or far more powerful than Binder is shown as.

Lastly, it serves to keep thaumaturgy as a powerful force, capable of literally anything as described, while also giving a good justification for why the Council (and PC spellcasters), don't just outright own the world, but still letting them keep the ability to "take the kid gloves off", as Mr Butcher describes.

So, what do you think?

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2013, 01:46:39 AM »
I like it.

It addresses a number of thaumaturgy's most significant issues, and does so elegantly. Combine this with an "adventure" option for building complexity, some guidelines for how long rituals should take, and maybe some limitations on complexity-building Declarations/consequences, and you'd have a really nice set of ritual rules.

PS: The summoning rules aren't supposed to be strict, for what it's worth. Ideally the GM will adjust the complexities to accommodate heavily optimized/totally unoptimized summons.

Offline Locnil

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2013, 06:55:14 AM »
Glad to know you approve.

I did have a number of ancillary ideas regarding those, which I was going to put in that mini-essay I mentioned, but given that they didn't deviate that much from the core rules - and they were already plenty of such floating around - I decided they were unimportant. Also, part of what these rules were supposed to do was to make it so that free, unlimited declarations were no longer the big issue they were before. I suppose if you wanted to make it so that taking consequences to boost complexity is a valid choice, you could make it so that complexity from willingly-inflicted consequences doesn't count for the purpose of determining your penalty, and doesn't suffer the penalty. Forcibly-inflicted consequences should probably be treated similarly to declarations. Still a valid route to power for the lazy or unskilled, but not the game-breaking plot devices they were before.

And yes, I knew that. It's just that if loose enough, guidelines become useless - the GM might as well make it up on the spot. My biggest grudge with freeform games is how quickly they devolve into Mother May I with the GM as Mother, which is the source of my biggest disappointment with the thaumaturgy mechanics. I was hoping to use these houserules to eventually reach a spot where hard, solid rules could be used for a variety of effects, with only minimal GM intervention needed. Still a long way off, but every bit helps.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2013, 07:02:55 AM »
I've got similar issues with Thaumaturgy.

I don't mind a bit of Mother May I, but if that's what Thaumaturgy is then there's no reason to spend so much effort writing and reading and using its mechanics. Mother May I should be kept simple, as in "the GM determines which Aspect invocations are valid".

This does do a lot to make infinite Declarations less problematic, but I like having the task of building complexity be an actual task. Right now one of my players in EtA is working on a massive ritual that will save Berlin from an army of demons, and I'm glad that he's not just sitting back and rolling Declarations endlessly. Instead he's running a life energy donation drive, which is much more interesting.

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2013, 05:14:30 AM »
I always figured there should be a cap to the complexity you can get by regular Declarations ... above that you have to put in consequences or take sponsor debt*, or... Probably a multiple of Lore, or of Lore+Discipline. Maybe 4 x Lore, or 2 x (Lore+Discipline)?

*With the right justification (eg traveling to a place of power or bargaining with a powerful being), I'd say you could take a point or two of sponsor debt without actually having a Sponsored Magic power, as a one-time-only thing (just standing on Chichen Itza wouldn't let you cast empowered spells over and over - just like how Harry did that crazy gravity spell in Changes, then didn't draw on the ley line for the rest of the fight.)

---
Anyway, another weird power.

Self-Focusing Magic  [-?]
Your magic is so perfectly focused that focus items would be redundant.
Musts: You need item slots granted by a spellcasting power to take this power. Also, you need major justification from your High Concept -- maybe you're the Archive, for example, or the Genius Loci of Edinburgh.
Effects: Instead of creating focus items, you can use your item slots to grant yourself bonuses just like those that would be provided by focus items. These bonuses aren't tied to physical items and are always available. You can only reassign these bonuses when you could change normal focus items.
You can still use your focus item slots to create enchanted items; these work normally.

That part is simple enough, but how do I put in something equivalent to the item-size limit of regular focus items?

And what should this cost?

On the advantage side, you can't ever be without your foci, or have them removed or broken or stolen.  On the other hand, if your foci are rings, you can pretty much have them on 24/7 anyway, and Harry having to check his staff at the door is probably a Compel. So 0 or -1, maybe even 0. 

Offline narphoenix

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2013, 05:31:20 AM »
I always figured there should be a cap to the complexity you can get by regular Declarations ... above that you have to put in consequences or take sponsor debt*, or... Probably a multiple of Lore, or of Lore+Discipline. Maybe 4 x Lore, or 2 x (Lore+Discipline)?

*With the right justification (eg traveling to a place of power or bargaining with a powerful being), I'd say you could take a point or two of sponsor debt without actually having a Sponsored Magic power, as a one-time-only thing (just standing on Chichen Itza wouldn't let you cast empowered spells over and over - just like how Harry did that crazy gravity spell in Changes, then didn't draw on the ley line for the rest of the fight.)

---
Anyway, another weird power.

Self-Focusing Magic  [-?]
Your magic is so perfectly focused that focus items would be redundant.
Musts: You need item slots granted by a spellcasting power to take this power. Also, you need major justification from your High Concept -- maybe you're the Archive, for example, or the Genius Loci of Edinburgh.
Effects: Instead of creating focus items, you can use your item slots to grant yourself bonuses just like those that would be provided by focus items. These bonuses aren't tied to physical items and are always available. You can only reassign these bonuses when you could change normal focus items.
You can still use your focus item slots to create enchanted items; these work normally.

That part is simple enough, but how do I put in something equivalent to the item-size limit of regular focus items?

And what should this cost?

On the advantage side, you can't ever be without your foci, or have them removed or broken or stolen.  On the other hand, if your foci are rings, you can pretty much have them on 24/7 anyway, and Harry having to check his staff at the door is probably a Compel. So 0 or -1, maybe even 0.

Internalized Foci has already been determined to be a [-1] power  (you really should check out the Worm thread).
GMing:

Paranet 2250

Avatar from Scarfgirl and TheOtherChosenOne of Deviantart

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2013, 02:51:59 AM »
Well, "determined" is a strong word. I'm still not totally confident that that's the right cost.

But I think 1 Refresh and no focus size limit is appropriate. The focus size limits were never very important compared to the Lore cap, after all.

Incidentally, I'd be interested in hearing vultur's opinion on the Worm thread. Particularly on the new Powers for the Siberian. Even if he doesn't know who the Siberian is, he knows the DFRPG rules so he should be able to contribute.

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2013, 02:06:42 AM »
OK, I'm working my way through the Worm thread.